iPod poll asks if size matters | iLounge News

iPod poll asks if size matters

“Macworld readers are split over the need for huge iPod capacity, with 17 per cent convinced that the 4GB offered by the iPod mini is “fine”, yet 16 per cent saying 80GB is needed to fulfill their requirements.

Another 15 per cent say the 15GB model meets their needs, 10GB is enough for 12 per cent, 30GB is the choice of 12 per cent, and 40GB for the remaining 10 per cent.

Some readers indicate that they now require more than one iPod (2 per cent), 13 per cent say they don’t need an iPod, and 2 per cent have opted for another player.”

« XO Play releases “Herbertís Big Adventure” iPod game

iTunes tops AAC listening tests »

Comments

““I doubt anyone that has ripped/downloaded 6,000 songs listens to them all or even a small percentage at any given time. 6,000 sounds like a bling bling factor whereas someone with 2GB of carefully chosen tracks is a music lover.”

Um, no.  One of my favorite activities with my 40GB is to randomly shuffle between all songs, all genres.  Since I’ve received my new iPod a week or so ago, I’ve rediscovered a lot of music I hadn’t heard in a long time.  I’m listening to a great track by “Zebra” as I type!!  Anyone else remember them from the early 80’s?  I had forgotten all about this song…

Anyway, the reason I sprung for the biggest model is because I want access to my *entire* CD library at any time.

Posted by Breathe on March 3, 2004 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

Bull***t! I agree with you Breathe. My collection has over 7,000 songs of carefully chosen imported music and remixes from underground producers and DJs. I am a DJ who was an avid vinyl junkie in the late 80’s and my collection contains unreleased tracks and remixes that you would not find on iTunes or any other peer-to-peer file sharing network. (Believe me, I’ve checked them all, from Kazaa to Soulseek.)

The person who wrote this article obviously has a lot of “fluff” in his collection, and is a victim of his own laziness. There is a lot of music out there buddy, I suggest you go beyond the iTunes Music Store to shop for your music! I certainly have no problem with each and every track I uploaded on my 40G iPod!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 3, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

yeah i also hate that statement.  if you love music, how could 3000 tracks, even 10,000 tracks be enough?

7000 and still ripping!

Posted by Daddo on March 3, 2004 at 10:55 AM (PDT)

Breathe described my situation perfectly—I use the shuffle mode so frequently, I’ve had to add a second iPod for my audiobooks—just to keep from constantly skipping past book chapters when shuffling.  If I didn’t have capacity for my entire music collection I would still find that I always had the wrong music traveling with me.

Posted by alter-ergo on March 3, 2004 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Yup, Breathe said it. I’ve got a 40gb and it’s already full with about 6500 tracks (my absolute favorites get encoded at 320).

Theres nothing like puttin the thing on shuffle and hearing a track you haven’t heard in years, it’s like having your own personal radio station adhering to your own strict standards of quality control!  No doubt in a couple years when the capacitys go up I will be upgrading.

Posted by jr on March 3, 2004 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

well i have to agree with both sides on this one…yes as an owner of over 7200 songs i must say i appreciate all my music and shuffle and having so many different moods that i can please at any time…yet on the other side i must admit i do have a handful of music i dont care that much for but in reality 90% of my music would be 4 star or higher if i took the time to rate it!!!

god love ripping and kazaa….i must humerously admit that about only 200 of my songs were legally aquired…the other 7000…hmmmm

peace

Posted by like im ognna tell for this article on March 3, 2004 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

I have 700 GB of music files - I need a lot more iPods.

Personally, I can’t wait for the new 100GB 2.5” drives so I can swap one into my Archos.

Soulseek is my personal saviour.

Posted by my music addiction on March 3, 2004 at 5:18 PM (PDT)

700 GB?!!!! i call a bluff there….considering major servers jsut have 3x250 HDD’s and the highest custom mac (daul 2.0 ghz G5) only has 2x250’s and that then costs quite a bit….besideds…..do you know how many days that is….....im sure you could tell me but itunes would still be importing all your music…...id love to see a screen shot of the properties of your msuic folder (not photoshop edited BTW!!!)

Posted by rivlinm on March 3, 2004 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

700 GB. Compressed audio files? Sure, buddy.

But go ahead and impress me. Show me the money!

Posted by Agent Orange on March 3, 2004 at 10:04 PM (PDT)

yea thats what i thought no comment!!!!

well ill go on listening to my 30gb (which is a lot) (the most i have seen is 90) and you keep dreaming!!!!

Posted by rivlinm on March 4, 2004 at 1:01 PM (PDT)

Oh ye of little faith.

Ever hear of RAID-5? I have a Promise card lets me chain 6 drives together. You lose one drive to parity, but it means the array can do auto-repair in a single drive fails. 5x250GB. Do the math.

And FYI, iTunes does indeed choke badly around the 150GB limit, both on PC and Mac. That’s why I use Media Center. Most of the rest of the drive is filled with complete DIVX runs of Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Stargate, and a few hundred of my favorite movies.

RAID-5 is amazingly fast. The server is a basic model dual P3 600MHz running 10/100 ethernet, but it can serve up 12 audio streams and three movie streams before it begins to choke for bandwidth and disk access.

I made this RAID-5 a couple of years ago, when it was the only real option. Now though, with Windows 2000 and Firewire (and I suppose OSX as well, I don’t see why not) you could rig up 6 external firewire drives and do RAID-5 software striping on them.

So finally, just because you don’t know how to build powerful computers, doesn’t mean other people share your ignorance.

Posted by RAID5 on March 4, 2004 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

PWNED!

Posted by jr on March 4, 2004 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

Your jealosy is showing guys. Why hate someone who has more than you?

Posted by green monster on March 4, 2004 at 2:40 PM (PDT)

Anyway, no mention of the 20 GB??

Posted by monkedsel on March 5, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

I just filled up my 40gb iPod. I have plenty of unripped cds left… so yeah I think an 80gb iPod would be nice.

Posted by redFive standing by on October 10, 2004 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

I’m a proud owener of and ipod.

Even though you don’t listen to that many songs all in one day a time does’nt mean that you don’t have to buy the 80gbwith the color and navigational system i will go buy when it comes are when my birth day in december or when ever it comes out.  y’all people quick haten just because mac wants to come with a new generation of ipods i think it’s a great ideal i wish you will show the price so i can know and be prepare thank you

Posted by Joseph Garrison on October 14, 2004 at 12:37 PM (PDT)

Should we buy the 60GB model or wait for 80GB?  More is always better until we can have 250GB+ and use FLAC…

Posted by hildy on November 4, 2004 at 4:28 PM (PDT)