iPod prices jump in Canada | iLounge News

iPod prices jump in Canada

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, December 18, 2003
News Categories: iPod

iLounger Alex Horvath reports that Apple Store Canada has raised its iPod prices. “For some reason the price of the iPod has jumped quite a bit in Canada. The 10GB model is now $454CDN ($342USD) from $439CDN ($331USD) and (here’s the whopper) the 20GB model has jumped from $579CDN ($437USD) to $604CDN ($455USD). The 40GB model has jumped to $754CDN, but I can’t remember the original price ...this sucks since I am in the late planning stages of getting one for myself.”

« AOL Members Get Access to iTunes Music Store

2004 Bluetooth Coming to iPod »

Comments

futureshop is still selling 10gig iPods for the old price. its listed as $449 but there’s a $10 discount

Posted by tariq on December 18, 2003 at 8:11 AM (PDT)

That’s probably because of this (from MacRumours):

“The Canadian Copyright Board approved a new tax to be added to MP3 devices imported and manufactured in Canada.

The new fees are based on a sliding scale with $1.50/unit for devices up to 1 GB, $11.25 for 1-10GB, and $19 for devices more than 10GB.

The new fees are intended to offset copyright infringement losses presumably by users of such devices.  However, concerns are raised in the article about the industry “double-dipping” by gaining these fees as well as earnings from legitimate download services (such as Apple’s iTunes Music Store) which support the same devices.

Also in progress in Canada is Supreme Court case in which arguments are being heard over whether or not Internet Service Providers (ISPs) should start paying tariffs for (illegally) downloaded music.

The new ruling legalizes P2P music downloading in Canada.”

Yup.

Posted by agentkow on December 18, 2003 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

I want at Compusmart in Downtown Toronto today, and their ipod’s were still the same price…I think there are alot of businesses that refuse to increase the prices, so I’m assuming they’re just swallowing the difference.

Posted by styles on December 18, 2003 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

I went to Compusmart in Downtown Toronto today, and their ipod’s were still the same price…I think there are alot of businesses that refuse to increase the prices, so I’m assuming they’re just swallowing the difference.

Posted by styles on December 18, 2003 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

previous price on the 40GB was C$729.

Posted by boxlunch on December 18, 2003 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

to avoid the price increas why not just go to a store in the states (if your close enough), or, buy it online and have it shipped to you…

Posted by SiRius on December 18, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Since the Canadian dollar is kicking ### what Sirius said is good, I did that back in May.

Sometimes customs might tack $50 on even if it says it’s a gift but I think it’s refundable.

Posted by hamp on December 18, 2003 at 10:04 AM (PDT)

This is not a rumour, see: http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20031213/COPY13/

The Copyright Board of Canada has allowed a levy of $2 to $25, depending on how much memory the MP3 player has.  This is all consistent with the iPod price increases, noted by Tariq.

Posted by vodka on December 18, 2003 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

go to canadacomputers.com
40 gig is 645 CDN!!!!

Posted by martin on December 18, 2003 at 12:14 PM (PDT)

I bought the 10 giger at A & B Sound today for $438…I would’ve bought from an American site or across the border except I grew impatient….needless to say I’m glad I bought it and I will now be a regular poster on this site smile

Posted by Alex on December 18, 2003 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

Oops…almost forgot…I got the last one in Vancouver….heehee..IT’S MINE!!

Posted by Alex on December 18, 2003 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

Yeah, its all messed up. Apple Canada is including the Copyright Levy in their price, which is what the Copyright Board wants… a nice hidden tax. Some stores (such as London Drugs) refuse to hide the tax (levy) and add it at the till. I’m not aware of anyone NOT charging the tax (levy), but it is true that it isn’t charged at Customs if you have product shipped from out of the country (although GST & PST are).

All this confusion does, however, protect you from the idiotic lawsuits in the USA - where an entire industry is suing their customers (Gee, I wonder why record companies sales are declining?) - and allows you to freely download music from the Internet. It *may* also allow you to share your music with anyone via P2P networks.

Want to support artists? DO NOT BUY CDs! Artists get hardly any of that money anyway. In fact, most artists lose money on the first two albums. Go to shows, concerts, or performances instead as this money, to a much larger degree, ends up in the hands of the actual artist.

For an interesting perspective that isn’t getting any attention from the media, check out this link.

Cheers!

Posted by Brad on December 18, 2003 at 3:11 PM (PDT)

Old news.  This horse is dead.

Posted by Podimus on December 18, 2003 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Whatever you do don’t have it shipped to you. The taxes on customs and duties as well as shipping charges will be far greater than the increase due to the copyright dung.
If you are close enough to the border get a “Mail Boxes Etc.” Box number and just go for a drive and pick it up. You can also use this box # for any other purchases in the Great US of A. Like eBay. I have been doing this for years! What is neat is that MBE actually alerts you by email when your package arrives!!

Posted by Guy on December 18, 2003 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

40GB model in the UK: 399/$705/$945CDN. I will be saving for a while yet..

Posted by iD on December 19, 2003 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

Brad: Yes, artists tend to lose money on the first few albums… but if the album isn’t selling then the record company will withdrawl support—and that includes tour support. Thus, you won’t get to see the bands you love & cherish in concert because they can’t afford to travel. Period.

I am not saying that P2P is bad… but I think you should support the bands you love in any way possible, including by buying their cds. Download the stuff you’d never buy but listen to on occassion. wink

Off topic, I know. Just had to make a point. I work in the industry so I know what goes on with bands big & small.

happy holidays!

tina

Posted by tina on December 19, 2003 at 10:43 AM (PDT)