iPod prompts airport bomb scare in Canada | iLounge News

iPod prompts airport bomb scare in Canada

An iPod found in an aircraft bathroom on a flight from Chicago to Ottawa caused a bomb scare earlier this month, bringing out police canine and bomb-disposal units. The Ottawa Citizen reports: “A member of the crew found the package about 4 p.m. The plane landed safely and was isolated away from the terminal. Passengers were taken off the plane and questioned by police while experts investigated the ‘package.’ The airport was not closed during the three-hour incident. Police issued a statement Tuesday evening saying the suspicious package ‘has been identified as an electronic device commonly known as an iPod.’”

« Pioneer: Apple readying Bluetooth iPod adapter

Toshiba-built Zune player revealed in FCC filing »

Comments

Someone leaves their iPod in a bathroom, and people get isolated, questioned by police, and a plane is isolated from a terminal.

The world has gone crazy.

Posted by stadidas on August 25, 2006 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

Agreed. I founded found the secret formula of going a week without shaking my head.

Posted by coolfactor on August 25, 2006 at 3:08 PM (CDT)

That’s “haven’t found”, not “founded found”. Oh boy.

Posted by coolfactor on August 25, 2006 at 3:09 PM (CDT)

Talk about Airport Extreme :-P

Posted by jeromatron on August 25, 2006 at 3:13 PM (CDT)

just because someone mentions an ipod, does it have to be posted about.. some of the news here is getting tivial..

Posted by psxp on August 25, 2006 at 3:25 PM (CDT)

I would not call this story trivial because it is about something that can affect a lot of us who travel with our iPod.  It reminds us not to leave our iPod someplace, as well as illustrate how absurd things have become.

Posted by Jeddak in Louisville, KY on August 25, 2006 at 3:56 PM (CDT)

“... And authorities got even more worried once they looked to see what music was on it. Artists included: Anti-Flag, NOFX, and Neil Young…”

Goddammit!

Posted by adam on August 25, 2006 at 3:59 PM (CDT)

Huh, I posted a reply on MacNN as well.

This article is two weeks old, about two days after the UK plot arrests. Some jittery flight attendent most likely caused the problem. Saw the ipod in the can probably still in a leather sleeve or something and freaked.

I am surprised this is being presented both here and on MacNN as ‘new’ news.

Come on quit feeding the climate of fear! Post all the facts, like the date!

Posted by pattherat on August 25, 2006 at 4:01 PM (CDT)

Slight correction to my comments. I do see that it does state ‘earlier this month’

Posted by pattherat on August 25, 2006 at 4:08 PM (CDT)

So someone drops thier iPod in the bathroom and it is considered a terror threat?

I should try it sometime.

Posted by Bonk on August 25, 2006 at 4:35 PM (CDT)

“I should try it sometime.”

Yeah, great idea!

Posted by Aa on August 25, 2006 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

Looks like we’ll be going to the airport naked at the current rate we’re banning things.

Ipods On A motherf****g Plane!

Posted by Jimmy on August 25, 2006 at 5:23 PM (CDT)

Incidentally, the “suspicious package” turned out to be Shannon Derrik’s stolen iPod.

Posted by Mr. Anderson on August 25, 2006 at 5:55 PM (CDT)

OMG! I totally blew snot out my nose when I read that “Airport Extreme” joke!

Posted by Matt on August 25, 2006 at 7:40 PM (CDT)

Here is the first hand account from the owner if the ipod:

Posted by Brian on August 26, 2006 at 12:30 AM (CDT)

Some of your jokes and bad puns aren’t even funny guys.

Posted by Jonathan on August 28, 2006 at 1:30 PM (CDT)

But after all…can I use my ipod on a flight to Canada? I’m going there next friday…

Posted by Fake on August 29, 2006 at 3:49 PM (CDT)

Not if it goes through Massachussetts. Better check it out with your airline.

What a stupid, stupid world. I see no reason to fly. Ever again.

Posted by Spiky on August 30, 2006 at 3:38 AM (CDT)