iPod Remote Mod for Motorcycle | iLounge News

iPod Remote Mod for Motorcycle

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, December 16, 2003
News Categories: Hacks | Mods

Fred Harmon has modified his iPod Remote and integrated it with the audio system on his Honda Gold Wing motorcycle. He’s posted a photo gallery of his step-by-step mod.

« Griffin iTrip 2 FM Transmitter for iPods w/Dock Back at $34.99

TidBITS: iPod Offerings, Part 2 »

Comments

Honda?!?! Bleh, why not a Harley!!!

Posted by Matt on December 16, 2003 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Why not a Harley? That’s an easy one. This is NOT a flame on Harleys. If I could afford two motorcycles I would have one of both.

But ... I commute to work and back every day (26 miles each way) by motorcycle. And I ride on most weekends throughout the year here in Seattle.

With that noted. The HARLEY dealer told me, when I said that was what I wanted to do, that I should be looking at a GoldWing and not a Harley.

Harleys are very good motorcycles. But a GoldWing’s engine will last for 300,000 miles before needing a rebuild if taken care of. While a Harley’s, based on a big Harley dealer here in Seattle/Tacoma area, admits that a Harley engine will need to be rebuilt by 100,000 miles. Since I ride about 30,000 miles a year on my motorcycle that is a BIG deal.

Again. I LOVE both but can only afford one.

Posted by OlsonBW on December 16, 2003 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Wow, you ride 52 miles a day on a motorcycle?  You’ve got brass balls.  The odds are definitely against you on that one.

Posted by chupacacabra on December 16, 2003 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

looks gay.

btw, this is for posting of iPOD COMMENTS, NOT HARLEY VS. HONDA.

go to another board and spam.

Posted by stasyna on December 16, 2003 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

My dad has a 1984 Gold Wing. I can’t even imagine how many miles are on it, I should ask him.

Posted by monkedsel on December 17, 2003 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

Looks like a lot of work for very little pay off. I have been riding my Harley for 2 years with my ipod , I clip the remote to a good spot on my jacket and off I go. I use a set of etymotic’s Er-4s and nothing is better to fly inches above the ground with music instead of road and wind noise. I can hear car horns and sirens etc.

Posted by Brad on December 17, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

Cool monkedsel.

I just passed 84,000 miles on my 2000 GoldWing.

Actually this is my second 2000 GoldWing. A person driving a Jeep slammed into the back of my first one when _I_ was going 35 to 40 mph. They think he was going over 60 mph when he hit me. The GoldWing was totally. Thankfully I was just really banged up and had a rotator cuff “contusion.” Meaning that my rotator cuff was bruised and swollen because I landed on my upper arm shoving it into my should socket.

Anyway. I had 18,326 miles in that first year I had the motorcycle with 8 months of riding. Three weeks later I was riding my current one.

Fun things I have connected to my GoldWing. A Garmin Street Pilot 3 GPS system, my cell phone, and my 30GB iPod. I used to have a 12 disc CD player in it until I got my iPod which holds a lot more music…

My web site -> http://homepage.mac.com/olsonbw/BillsOpinions/Personal24.html

Posted by OlsonBW on December 17, 2003 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I have a friend who is looking to set her husband up with an I POD for his Goldwing.
What’s the best way to go?
Thanks Dino

Posted by Dinoscruzin on February 12, 2006 at 4:07 PM (PDT)

Hrmm..

My ‘99 Harley is rolling along just fine at 250,000 miles with no need for a rebuild.  Just take good care of the bike and it will love you back.  Both may be nice bikes and the Goldwings may tend to last longer with poor maintenance, but if you take care of them properly either will last a very long time.  I personally wouldn’t be caught dead riding a Goldwing though…that’s just me.  (Leather and boots vs. Hawaiian shirt and tennis shoes thing is suppose)

Posted by Rob on October 22, 2006 at 9:36 PM (PDT)

** “I” suppose not “is” suppose…oops

Posted by Rob on October 22, 2006 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

I just bought a Goldwing, so I’m interested in the iPod interface, not as much the remote.

I also own a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Apple store said the cassette interface was good, although I find it very tempermental - nothing beats my B&O earphones!

Now I understand Honda has developed a way to integrate the iPod and the Goldwing together, we’ll see…

Posted by Joel on May 31, 2007 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

For most Interstate or Aspencade GLs after 1980 you should be able to tie your ipod into the bikes audio system via the aux jacks. I’ve got both of my wings an 85a and a 95a setup with cradles using parts from RadioShack for the USB charger and have been using the Griffin AirClick on the handlebar for full control access.
I’ve got connectons on my RoadKing and Monster too but you can’t enjoy the music as much as on the Wing.
Any of you harley boys ever want to go head to head cross country I’d be happy to ride with you. Of course you can’t be stopping to pee all the time and I won’t help you put your chaps back on.

Posted by Lar on October 2, 2007 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Personally, I don’t like the club you have to join when one owns a harley. The outfits are so expensive; with all that leather and lace. It used to be that harley riders were the mavericks, now they’re the sheep.

Posted by jdclfc on May 3, 2008 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

I’m not so sure about the Gold Wing reliability myth! After spending two years in Afghanistan, I came home and bought a new ‘08 Gold Wing thinking my wife and I would spend the summer touring. Four days later (on our first road trip!), it broke down - leaving us stranded on the side of the road with coolant pouring out. The cooling fan rubbed a hole in the left radiator. It’s still in the shop three weeks later. Honda will pay for repairs, but WON’T replace the bike, the engine, provide us a loaner, nor reimburse me for the 300 mile tow. Needless to say, we are neither amused nor impressed!

Good thing we still have a 10 year old Harley in the garage to ride!

Posted by Lloyd Carpenter on June 16, 2008 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

It used to be that harley riders were the mavericks, now they’re the sheep.

Ain’t that the truth?! All these poseurs clogging up the roads… I miss the real thing.

Posted by Alphacorse on June 25, 2008 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

There might be a problem with browser, but I can’t see the article only the comments. ????

Posted by Derek on February 5, 2011 at 11:50 PM (PDT)