iPod shuffle: 2,000* sold in first 4 hours (updated x3) | iLounge News

iPod shuffle: 2,000* sold in first 4 hours (updated x3)

Updated: Though multiple vendors on the show floor at San Francisco Macworld Expo told iLounge yesterday that Apple’s retail store in San Francisco had sold 20,000 iPod shuffle units in its first four hours of availability this week, it appears that the impressive number may just be the result of an Expo ‘telephone game.’ Other iLounge sources have subsequently reported that only 2,000 were sold at the store, a rate of roughly 8 shuffles per minute rather than the 80+ per minute required by the higher number. We apologize for the original report.

As iLounge notes in its upcoming review of the iPod shuffle, while some individuals purchased four, six, and nine of the 512MB, $99 units, the day’s record was apparently set by someone who purchased 24 at once. iPod shuffles are currently shipping to Apple retail stores.

Update 3: Reader David C. notes that Apple’s online store is already shipping 512MB iPod shuffle orders, with hardware leaving Ontario, California and “two-day shipping” delivery dates estimated at January 17. “This is well before the ‘1 week’ Apple.com was quoting,” says David, who is “VERY PLEASED!” However, reader Joe M. says that his 1GB iPod shuffle online order is listed with a 1/26 ship date.

« Macworld: Griffin intros TuneJuice battery backup for iPod

Macworld: Hot on the 2005 Macworld SF show floor A-E »

Comments

Quote: “This just shows that if apple designed a toilet brush it would sell 20’000 in the first 4 hours”

Exactly!  Right now Apple could put crap in a box, call it iCrap and it would sellout.  What remains to be seen is long-term sales and reliability reports after the first 2 months of use… which could be great, average or poor…who knows at this point.

Posted by miketex on January 14, 2005 at 7:20 AM (CST)

The Apple Store website is now reporting 2-3 weeks for shipping on the 512 and 3-4 weeks on the 1Gig. Is that just some serious padding, or are they really that backordered since yesterday?

I’m curious because I have a couple of road trips in the next month and I’d like to get one before I leave. Otherwise I’ll just hit every Apple Store on the way to my destination (about 4 en route, and 3 more within 30 minutes of my final destination) until I find one.

Posted by mladd on January 14, 2005 at 7:27 AM (CST)

At this price point I wonder how many of these players will find their way into corporate “goody bags”; perhaps even labeled with a company logo and given out to corporate customers. Maybe that’s what’s behind the 24 unit purchase reported.

Posted by MarkH on January 14, 2005 at 7:39 AM (CST)

The Shuffle will be a big hit, no questions asked. Apple intentionally designed a low cost player so that their sales of iPod mini and iPod would not suffer. Now people have a choice: Spend only $99 and get a very basic player, but still enjoy the benefits of iTunes integration etc, or spend more and get a “real” iPod.

I understand that some people want more features on a MP3 player than the Shuffle has to offer. But the vast majority of people will never use extra features such as direct encoding etc. As long as the thing can play music and has white headphones they will be happy!

When does Apple release the iTunes Music Store in Australia, it is about time?!

Posted by ADG in Australia on January 14, 2005 at 7:54 AM (CST)

What is taking so long?  I orderd my shuffle on 1/12 and it has not shipped yet.  Come on Apple!

Posted by mizzou in Dallas, TX on January 14, 2005 at 8:22 AM (CST)

quote: “What is taking so long? I orderd my shuffle on 1/12 and it has not shipped yet. Come on Apple!”

Seeing that if you order today the time before it actually ships is now 2-4 weeks, I’d say you can expect some delays as (once again) Apple trys to meet initial demand for a new product.

Posted by miketex on January 14, 2005 at 8:51 AM (CST)

Like I said earlier in the thread (thanks iPodlounge for quoting me) ... I placed my order for a 512 mb shuffle at about 12:30 PM PT on 1/11 and it shipped yesterday:

My (censored email) from Apple:

Dear Apple Customer,

Apple is pleased to report that a shipment for the following order is on its way to you.

Web Order Number:        ——————
PO Number:            ———————-
Apple Sales Order Number:  ——————
Apple Delivery Number:    —————————
Apple Customer Number:    ————————

The following products shipped on 01/13/2005.

Product #  Product Description               Qty     Ext Price
__________ ________________________________________ ____ ________________

M9724LL/A IPOD SHUFFLE 512MB-USA               1         99.00
SHIPPING14 EXPEDITED SHIPPING CHARGE             1         10.00
_________________________________________________________________________

The above products have been shipped to:

David C——-
  ————————-
  ——————————

Transit time will depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive within 5 days of shipment.

Carrier Name:            FEDERAL EXPRESS
Carrier Tracking Number(s):  —————————-

For orders shipped Monday through Thursday tracking information will be available on the carrier sites 12 to 24 hours after shipping.
For orders shipped Friday through Sunday tracking information will be available on the carrier sites by the following Monday evening.

This is a record of shipped items only. Additional items may ship separately.
If you have questions about the status of your order, please visit:
<http://www.apple.com/orderstatus>.

<edited for length>
Thank you for shopping at Apple!
Sincerely,

The Apple Store Team

———————————————-

So far Fed Ex shows it left Ontario, CA at 7:09 AM on 1/13 and arrived in Los Angles, CA at 9:57 PM.

——————————————-

What does this mean for everyone… if the Apple store now shows 2-3 week delivery on the 512 mb it must be due to BACKORDER because the intitial shipments are on their way.

Posted by canyonblue737 on January 14, 2005 at 8:55 AM (CST)

That’s Ontario, California—not Canada.  My Shuffle is due for delivery today.  It shipped about 9:00 last night.

Posted by Horrortaxi in Los Angeles on January 14, 2005 at 8:59 AM (CST)

Just think.. I drive past Apple HQ here in Canada everyday.. :) I wonder what goodies they have in the office..

Posted by iKiwi in Toronto, Canada on January 14, 2005 at 9:09 AM (CST)

The creative exec is right, IF you consider the shuffle as hardware only (he basically said ‘the shuffle is old tech’). It’s success over the next year depends on the continued strength of the Apple / ipod name and _AutoFill_. ( Nagromme already pointed out that “iTunes autofill ... make[s] a low-capacity player more useful with less work” )

Set a 512 MB and a 40 GB iPod to shuffle mode and the 512 MB AutoFilled shuffle gives you the same variety of music for 8 hours (120 songs @ 4 minutes each). If that doesn’t make sense to you, the shuffle’s may not be your flash mp3 player.

Posted by Stompy on January 14, 2005 at 10:13 AM (CST)

The technology for the basic funcrtion—take data from storage and send it through headphones—isn’t changing fast.

Innovation can involve the controls—which Apple is good at—or other NON-basic functions. Extras that may be beside the point for some, and valuable to others. Like an FM radio, or iPod’s calendars and contacts.

Or the storage could change—but Apple’s using up-to-date flash media, and the only big thing changing there is the cost.

That leaves form factor—and I’d say the Shuffle DOES innovate in that area.

So how is this 5-year-old technology in a bad way?

Posted by Nagromme on January 14, 2005 at 11:07 AM (CST)

Its 5-year old tech in the _best_ way imaginable. Nagromme is right, shuffle is better form factor with the lowest cost Apple can manage.

It may be a simple case of spin from Creative’s CEO. Then again, their focus is the ‘box,’ not the ‘whole widget.’ People who see only the box probably like creative’s gear.

Posted by Stompy on January 14, 2005 at 12:03 PM (CST)

Great news. The iPod shuffle is very nice :-)

Posted by macniatic in Panama on January 14, 2005 at 12:03 PM (CST)

I’ve ordered a shuffle from the UK Apple online store, and it says the shipping time will take 2 weeks. In this article it says Apple is already shipping them in America and it’s possible to get a 2 day delivery time. Will this be true in the UK soon? And also, will the iPod be shipped earlier than the 2 week time, if Apple has the ability to do so?

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on January 14, 2005 at 12:43 PM (CST)

I feel happy. I’m glad my ability to do math was not blinded like so many of the sycophants who have responded to this thread without a second thought about the ludicrous idea of one store selling the reported number of products in the reported time.

Posted by K1W1 on January 14, 2005 at 3:43 PM (CST)

It’s all about net margins…

if everyone else has a screen, how do you compete? Easy: You order them to “fuhgeddaboudit” at a gala Macworld unveiling. You tell them screens are for squares, Daddy-O. You say, “We’re different from that.” You compensate for your austerity plan by naming the thing “Shuffle” and by convincing the masses out there that they don’t need no stinkin’ screen. You’ve got plenty of consumer capital to spend because the iPod is a megahit and the press adores you. Bingo—you turn a problem into a feature. Very clever.

Posted by Demosthenes on January 14, 2005 at 5:13 PM (CST)

I waent to my local Apple store today to look at the Shuffle. They said that they have been receiving sporatic shipments and that the 10 they received sold out today. They had no demo units but two of the employees were wearing their own units so I checled them out. It was really cool and so tiny but the lack of a screen and the ability to select individual songs is a strong negative for me. I would rather spend the extra $100-$150 to get a mini and have the screen, wheel and extra space. However, it scores huge on cool points and for $99 it wouldn’t be a bad deal to buy for my 9 & 12 year olds.

Posted by JeffNNJ on January 14, 2005 at 9:06 PM (CST)

It may be a simple case of spin from Creative’s CEO

Whatever about Creative’s loony CEO, Creative the company sold 2 million players in the past three months (versus 4.6m iPods). That’s a pretty respectable number, especially considering that Creative is just one of the companies competing with Apple.

Also, I noticed that selling expenses have risen from 17% to 22% of net sales. This is mostly because selling iPods is hard work for little money, compared with selling PCs, and those fancy stores eat cash. Letting sales expenses grow like this is dangerous is there is a downturn in the retail channel, either from a recession or a decline in cachet.

Posted by Demosthenes on January 15, 2005 at 10:47 AM (CST)

I think one of the markets the shuffle is going to hit pretty good is existing iPod owners.  I know a few people who had iPods who also then bought iPod minis for their second player, or their girlfriend/boyfriend or at the gym, and I had thought about doing the same but the price on the mini was too much to justify me getting it as a second player and it really wasn’t any more durable.

The price on the shuffle is low enough that it’s not a major purchase the way an iPod or iPod mini is so I don’t really have to worry about budgeting it.  Plus as a USB drive it replaces a 128 mb one I have been using, which when I got it cost quite a bit in comparison.

The no screen feature wouldn’t be good for me on my primary player, but on the shuffle won’t be a big deal.  Before the iPod I used to use a Sony Discman with no screen and before that a Sony Walkman for tapes.  The Walkman experience is more akin to the shuffle experience since for trips I’d fill up a few tapes with songs I like and then listen to the tapes.

Posted by Jazzlawyer in Kelowna, BC Canada on January 15, 2005 at 11:36 AM (CST)

Are you sure? The early Creative flash players similarly tried to cut costs by shipping with no screens, but consumer reaction was negative. So in the next version, Creative added screens and bumped the prices up a little…

Posted by Demosthenes on January 15, 2005 at 12:48 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >