iPod shuffle 3G unboxing photos posted | iLounge News

iPod shuffle 3G unboxing photos posted

image

iLounge has obtained both models of the new third-generation iPod shuffle, and will be posting unboxing photos in this story as we take them, along with some brief first impressions.

Update: It’s very similar in size to the Apple Bluetooth Headset, and as small as the smallest flash drives we’ve seen. Its rear clip is somewhat of a fingerprint magnet, and it lacks personality from front, to side, to bottom. The black color is same as the iPod nano 4G and 120GB iPod classic, and if a user plugs in headphones with no music loaded onto the device, a voice directs him/her to sync to iTunes.

Update 2: The results of our initial file transfer test show the new shuffle to be faster than the second-generation model, but not as fast as the iPod nano 4G. When transferring our 1GB test playlist, it took the iPod shuffle 3G 2:02 to transfer, while the iPod nano 4G took just 1:27. The same transfer on the second-generation iPod shuffle took 2:33, but it was only a partial transfer, as some songs could not be played, and iTunes showed only 392MB as transferred.

In addition, iTunes must connect to a server to download the VoiceOver kit before that feature can be enabled, meaning that an Internet connection will be required for initial VoiceOver setup.

In our initial audio testing with a pair of Ultimate Ears UE-11, there is an immediately noticeable difference in the amount of static present in the audio compared to the iPod shuffle 2G—hissy, static-like noise present in the prior generation’s audio is gone in the iPod shuffle 3G. Our initial impressions of its sonic balance are that its sound signature is extremely similar to that of the late 2008 iPods and iPhone 3G. Our testing has also found it basically impossible to control the unit with standard third-party headphones, and that Apple’s other remote-enabled headphones appear completely compatible. Of note, Apple has further slimmed down the headphone plug on the new earphones, physically matching the top of the shuffle’s headphone jack.

« Movies, TV Show Genius sidebar missing from iTunes 8.1

Apple makes App Store reviews version specific »

Comments

This is why I really like iLounge - you post more detailed pictures of products, from many angles, and not just the repost of Apple’s images. I especially like the comparison in size to the previous shuffles and other products. Your reviews of products have also been helpful when considering buying. And no, I am not an iLounge employee and don’t work for this site.

Posted by Kevin - Milwaukee on March 12, 2009 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

Is the shuffle setup with a ‘full ipod’ database or more like the other shuffle which were a very light version of traditional ipod file format?

How much space does the voice over take up on the shuffle?

Posted by Sid32 on March 12, 2009 at 11:49 AM (CDT)

ps. Whats that small hole next to the headphone jack?

Posted by Sid32 on March 12, 2009 at 11:50 AM (CDT)

#3,

The small hole is for the status light.

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 12, 2009 at 12:06 PM (CDT)

I second the first poster. I always love to see it when you guys get your hands on new iPods and post pictures. That way, you get more of a feel for the device.

Posted by Trinity on March 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM (CDT)

One of the most wanted features from me for the new iPod shuffle is gapless playback. This machine would be great for use in the gym were it capable of this. I have a lot of House/Trance CDs that are mixed, need gapless playback and play perfectly on my 160GB Classic, Touch and nano. However, the same can’t be said for the shuffle. I know I could import the CD as one file, but that would mean having 2 libraries, therefore taking up double the hard drive space. And as I only use 256k AAC, that would mean a VERY large library (mine is currently just short of 135GB).

Posted by Nigel on March 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM (CDT)

if you watch Hannah’s demo from Apple you will see that there are 3.77 GB of free space,
by the way where does she work lol

Posted by MC on March 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

I’m intrigued enough that I’m about ready to place an order. I had the 1st generation shuffle; then replaced it with the orange 2nd generation. Love that you can have multiple playlists! And the voice over sounds great because there are some random songs that I can’t immediately place and wished I could check. I seem to be one of the few who loves Apple earbuds, but whereas Apple will replace for free current ones when they stop working, I’m sure that will disappear—and that’s the only way to get this thing to play.

Posted by KC on March 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM (CDT)

it seems silly that this new ipod has no buttons.. i mean really apple? really? i think the one thing that makes no sense with the ipod shuffle is the lack of nike+ support… i mean, the shuffle is really a secondary ipod…  i think alot of people buy the shuffle for jogging and stuff.  they really need to combine the shuffle plus the nike+ and that fitbit pedometer thing.. give me a reason to buy this.

Posted by chris Thompson on March 12, 2009 at 2:34 PM (CDT)

THE CORD YOU SYNC WITH IS ACTUALLY THAT SMALL.

Posted by MICHELLE on March 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

The cord is that small. It just seems silly, why not eliminate the cord and just have the usb go right into the headphone jack, like 3rd party ones? It looks like the cord is just long enough for the shuffle to hit the ground when plugged into the front usb ports on a desktop.

Posted by Sid32 on March 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM (CDT)

Why did they not at least include the “Shake and Shuffle” feature present on the 4G Nano? To me that seems like an obvious player for a button-less iPod Shuffle =/

Posted by mr. obvious on March 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM (CDT)

Did Apple seriously think putting the Apple logo on the back would make a better design?

“Oh let’s make it even more bland and put the logo where it will be hidden once it’s clipped!”

This iPod has surely lost the character it had in previous generations. To me it seems like Apple simply wanted to put so much emphasis on this iPod having no buttons that they made many poor quality design flaws.

Posted by hmmmmmm on March 12, 2009 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

Can it be used as a pendrive (PC and Mac) without drivers?
What other things does it say? I really like this simple design, it’s just apple³.

Posted by reventón on March 12, 2009 at 8:33 PM (CDT)

it looks really smaller than I thought. I guess that many people could easily lose it rather than earbud. well, it looks good. but I still won’t buy it.

Posted by edward on March 12, 2009 at 10:14 PM (CDT)

One cool thing Apple is doing is creating a uniform design throughout all their products.  Right now, their material of choice is aluminum and glass.  First the Macbooks, then the iMacs, then the iPhones, now the iPod shuffle.

That iPod’s case seems to milled out of a single piece of aluminum (sounds familiar, right?).  I suspect in the future, many more of Apple’s products will be ditching their white plastic shell for a solid aluminum body.  One thing is for sure, metal has a much more feeling of quality than plastic.

Is the bottom of that ipod solid aluminum too?  If so, how do they get the hardware in there?

Posted by Greg Fast on March 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM (CDT)

Excellent coverage of the new Apple products as usual. I have a shuffle 2G as my take anywhere iPod, to supplement my 5G. I can use the same pair of earbuds on both, (i find the Apple ones uncomfortable) plug my shuffle into the car stereo or let the kids dance around the house using the shuffle with their own earbuds. Three things you can’t do the the new shuffle, without some sort of headphone adapter. I am very happy that Apple’s most handy, durable and useable music device has now got the sound quality it deserves but i wont be buying one.

Posted by Mikeerac on March 13, 2009 at 6:06 AM (CDT)

Bummed about this design and the fact it is reliant on the earbuds to function.  The Apple earbuds don’t at all fit in my ear properly, so I have to use other brands that do… this renders the new design useless for me.

Posted by et on March 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

They don’t fit in my ears either but the sound is good.  I got EarJams and those allow me to have in-ear apple buds.

Posted by KBW on March 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM (CDT)

I was initially intrigued by the new Shuffle but after reading the full review (found elsewhere on iLounge) I found the most salient point to be “[The new Shuffle] is, in sum, the Microsoft-like opposite of the Apple.”  They really did over-think this thing.  I really love the ability to pause, play, and skip tracks with the one button on my iPhone headphones (not the standard ones I might add) so I think this is a great feature but it can’t be the ONLY control.  The Shuffle used to be a good starter iPod and now it is only for the most diehard Apple fans that are willing to learn a secret language to operate it.  There is no way my mom could ever figure out how to use this thing!

Posted by TosaDeac on March 13, 2009 at 5:14 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >