iPod shuffle clone introduced | iLounge News

iPod shuffle clone introduced

pic LuxPro, a Taiwan-based maker of digital audio products, has introduced what can only be described as a blatant rip-off of Apple’s iPod shuffle. LuxPro’s “Super shuffle,” which is being shown this week at the CeBIT conference in Germany, is nearly identical to the iPod shuffle in every way—from its form factor to its name and advertising.

Made from the same white plastic and featuring the same control pad as the iPod shuffle, the Super shuffle is also the exact length (3.3”) and width (0.99”) as the iPod shuffle. The flash memory-based Super shuffle is a little thicker (0.38”) than the iPod shuffle (0.33”), but offers an FM tuner and voice recorder, which the Apple device lacks.

LuxPro’s music player weighs in at the same as the iPod (.78 ounce), offers the same USB 2.0 connectivity and charging, and even copies the iPod shuffle’s backside slider switch and battery light indicator. The Super shuffle boasts two slider switches, apparently one is needed for general use and one is needed for the extra FM and recording features. The LuxPro product offers MP3, WAV, and WMA support.

Like the iPod shuffle, the Super shuffle is offered only in 512MB and 1GB sizes, and works with both Windows and Mac OS X. Pricing and availability were not immediately available. However, German iPod site iPodLife has provided iLounge with a handful of photos of the device and its advertising at CeBIT, which show that LuxPro is not only cloning Apple’s low-cost player, but is also replicating its well-known silhouette ads.

Click “Read more” for large photos of the Super shuffle and an Apple-like poster.

pic

pic

pic

« More aluminum iPod shuffle cases spring up

A.B. Sutton announces leather iPod shuffle case »

Comments

“Just because you can stick an FM radio in there, doesn’t mean you should. Without a display, going through the “dial” looking for stations can be frustrating. And for most people you need presets with your FM radio.”

All you do is use iTunes to set up a radio ‘playlist’. In there you type in the band numbers (101.1,105.7) and set them up in any order you like. Then on your shuffle you scroll through your stations exactly how you would a playlist. It work exactly like the pre-sets on a $10 radio shack pocket radio.

As for Apple not wanting to include radio because it would take away from people listening to music. How silly! First,radio is sports,news,weather and talk as much as it is music. Second,if I want to listen to the radio I will. Why should anybody have to pick one or the other? INcluding a radio will have zero impact on music sales. Apples and oranges. No pun intended.

Posted by CanofAir on March 10, 2005 at 2:19 PM (CST)

I don’t know why everybody is freaking out. Let other people buy clones if they like it. I like better the idea of saying “I own a Shuffle” rather than explaining why I got a cheap lousy clone. “Cloning is the sincerest form of flattery”

Posted by iYuc in Yucatan on March 10, 2005 at 2:21 PM (CST)

I was just about to say that, copyright laws apply specifically to certain countries, the ones that choose to care. In any of the rest all you have to do is open a web site (or just get on eBay) and sell them internationally from there. This will probably sell for the same price or less than the shuffle because big companies like Apple ussually sell on their name and shoot for a much larger percentage of profit than an unknown company would attempt to sell a product for. I read the shuffle is at something like a 50% profit margin, so these people just have to sacrifice the 10% (or less) it cost them to add the FM and mic.

Posted by andres in Miami on March 10, 2005 at 2:22 PM (CST)

I don’t see how Apple’s choice to leave out Voice recording and FM tuner as being lazy. It is something have chosen to do. It is what they are doing. One day it may change. There has never been any debate that apple could add these things to any of the iPod line, but that doesn’t mean they should, either.

If you want a player with one of these things, don’t buy an iPod.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on March 10, 2005 at 2:25 PM (CST)

The thing is these Clones are not going to work with iTunes :) LOL! So how could you use iTunes to do anything as add which Audio FM Frequencies to use? If the thing does not work with iTunes.

Which begs another qustion if this thing is not iTunes compatible how are the Mac People soposed to use this? Or is there a WMP-X for OS-X too God forbid if so I feel your pain I’m on XP I hav no intention of going Mac and I’m certanly not a ‘Mac-head’ but, I’d still be able to feel your pain….

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 2:29 PM (CST)

sorry for the double post

Posted by andres in Miami on March 10, 2005 at 2:29 PM (CST)

There is a version of WMP for OSX, almost all basic (such as office, ie) windows programs have a version on macs now and likewise (such as macromedia, photoshop, netscape, itunes).

Posted by andres in Miami on March 10, 2005 at 2:32 PM (CST)

Hugo,

Dude, if you can’t tell the difference between a cheap knockoff and the genuine article, then you’re certainly welcome to support criminals and buy yourself sub-standard junk.

EVERYBODY knows electronic components are manufactured in cheap labor, third world countries. The difference (among others) is companies like Apple STILL have quality control and performance and materials standards that their cheap contracted labor has to adhere to.

Fast-buck mongering ripoff artists like these “Super Shuffle” dudes don’t give a crap about component, performance and manufacturing quality. Pick up a shuffle and one of these knockoffs and tell me that even you couldn’t tell the difference from feel alone of the latters inferiority.

Posted by jinzo-ningen on March 10, 2005 at 2:33 PM (CST)

How many Minutes does one get out of a ‘Play’s For Sureā„¢’ Shuffle? before it gets full. Could I record say an entire Lecture on how Internet Piracy ruins Bittneys’ Day before it craped out on me??

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 2:37 PM (CST)

This from the LuxPro Corps Website (http://www.luxpro-corp.com/e_about.htm) - not a little of the “all your base are belong to us” about this…

“We will keep going to be a designing leader. Our products are always so useful to meet what you need. Our mission is to improve your living quality and to create your life value. If you can imagine it, LUXPRO CORPORATION can make it.”

You have to love these guys.

Posted by mike rundle on March 10, 2005 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Let me pose this thought to you…

Would the iPod Shuffle be as successfull as it is, if it; a.) Wasn’t an Apple Product and b.) If all you had to use was WMP-X in instad of iTunes 4.7.x?

Think about it!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 2:43 PM (CST)

haha “they imagine it, we make it”

Posted by andres in Miami on March 10, 2005 at 2:58 PM (CST)

haha “they imagine it, we make it”

Posted by andres in Miami on March 10, 2005 at 3:03 PM (CST)

Did anyone notice the battery charge difference? Apple is 12+ hours, this one is 4!! Forget the ‘don’t copy me’ act. If the battery life was the same, I’d totally buy one of these. Apple never made me any money, I buy Safeway cola even though it is a Pepsi knock off…who cares. My bills every month sure don’t!

Posted by danacondaman on March 10, 2005 at 3:03 PM (CST)

...oh yeah, don’t forget to carry the ‘blantant rip off’ attitude next time you or a relative has to pay for Name Brand pharms. I’ll take generic any time.

Posted by danacondaman on March 10, 2005 at 3:05 PM (CST)

for me it’s more about the blatant rip off of the marketing along with the rip off of the product.  why didn’t they just go with green and get it over with?

Posted by schaaking in Minneapolis on March 10, 2005 at 3:08 PM (CST)

You can not compaire this to Generic Drugs the People who make those Drugs usually have to get a Licence to do so. Or face a Day in Court for IP fraud. Allthough I’m not sure if this is the case with off brand Colas I’m actully quite fond of Dr. Thunder (Wal-Mart), Branded Dr. Peper (when I’m in the US.)...

Again I wouldn’t worry about this without iTunes this things just another POS! Just waiting to get flushed!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 3:17 PM (CST)

does it have ‘Smart Playlists’? No

It will do SmartLists if you use something like Media Center.

Posted by Demosthenes on March 10, 2005 at 3:17 PM (CST)

Beleave me if Apple can market a Brain Dead Product like the Shuffle. It doesnt mean just anyone can…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 3:19 PM (CST)

OMG you mean I have to spend HUNDREDS OF US DOLLARS on a Media Center PC in order to get basic iPod like functions!

Oh yeah that’s a great selling point! Damn Apple should start some of ther patented ‘Different Thinking’ to how to apply this to there next line of iPods’ and Mac Minis’....

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 10, 2005 at 3:24 PM (CST)

Page 3 of 7 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›