iPod shuffle Dock arrives, photos inside | iLounge News

iPod shuffle Dock arrives, photos inside

pic iLounge has confirmed that Apple’s iPod shuffle Dock is now available in very limited quantities in select Apple retail stores across the U.S. According to Apple, the iPod shuffle Dock serves as “an elegant and convenient home base for syncing and charging” the low-cost music player. It’s also a much-needed accessory for those without an accessible USB port (see iLounge’s report on issues encountered by eMac and iMac G3 users). Click on Read More for our exclusive photos.

Alongside the iPod shuffle at Macworld Expo last month, Apple introduced several optional accessories, including the Dock, an armband, a sport case, a USB power adapter, and a 12-hour battery pack that holds two AAA batteries. At the time, Apple said they would be available “over the next few weeks” for $29 each.

The online Apple Store is currently quoting that all of the accessories will ship in 5-7 weeks - except for the USB power adapter, which is available immediately via the online store.

« iPod case made from space parachute available

Scosche announces Bluetooth interface for iPod »

Comments

Got mine today! I just happened to go into the apple store in the glendale galleria and they had a couple there. I hope they get the armband and case in soon :)

Posted by davidejr on February 3, 2005 at 8:52 PM (CST)

Mine came from my order 2 weeks ago.  Still waiting on my 512mb shuffle though…

Posted by mgbrown66 in USA on February 3, 2005 at 8:59 PM (CST)

a 512mb shuffle + a dock + an USB power adapter are not gonna be cheap.. apple is pretty sneaky on ipod shuffle.

Posted by frankthetank on February 3, 2005 at 9:28 PM (CST)

they have a pile of them at my local apple shop. if anyone is desparate, i’ll go buy it and ship it [from australia].

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on February 3, 2005 at 9:47 PM (CST)

Wow.

Just…wow.

So how much is the “low end” up to now if you get these “accessories?”

Posted by stark23x on February 3, 2005 at 11:14 PM (CST)

Apple would be far from the first company to ever nickel-and-dime customers with marked up accessories.  Anybody who’d like to see increased mainstream success from Apple ought to expect it to take up some less desirable business practices in the meantime.

Posted by SPThom on February 3, 2005 at 11:40 PM (CST)

$30 is beyond mark-up.  this cable must cost <$1 to produce

heres one on ebay for $0.99

oh, and BTW, heres an ipod shuffle charger for $5.60

now i understand why people think that ipod owners are irrational and unintelligent.  i cannot believe these $30 accesories sill sell

Posted by zip22 on February 4, 2005 at 12:59 AM (CST)

still sell, sorry

also, i dont intend to flame-bait.  im giddy as a school girl to get my shuffle, but these accessories make me laugh.

Posted by zip22 on February 4, 2005 at 1:00 AM (CST)

uhmm, zip22,
its not a cable. it’s a dock.
i agree $30 is expensive, but that $0.99 isn’t the same product at all.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on February 4, 2005 at 2:13 AM (CST)

Of course it’s not the same product.  It’s a product that produces the same end result at a price of $0.99 vs. $29.  Are you so ingrained to “the Apple way” that you really need to “dock” your pack-of-gum-sized player?  I bet you bought a pack of iPod socks, too.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on February 4, 2005 at 6:08 AM (CST)

Why is everyone flaming Apple? I’m no fan after they still wouldn’t refund me the cost of a case + remote for my 4G iPod over the confusion a few months back, but all companies do that..

HP/Epson for one charges astronomical prices for their ink cartridges compared to the printer.

Posted by oplex on February 4, 2005 at 6:26 AM (CST)

Oh and yeah, at least the iPod dock is a ‘unique’ product in the sense that you can make the iPod Shuffle stand upright. It’s style at a cost, but that is more just compared to justifying the use of “HP GENUINE” ink carts over refills. Epson/HP put chips in their ink carts that count the amount you print; I bought a resetter and the carts print dozens of sheets after resetting the ‘ink out’ lock… Isn’t that much more of a rip off/

Posted by oplex on February 4, 2005 at 6:29 AM (CST)

Not flaming Apple, oplex…just the mindless consumerism that Apple endorses.  I’m an iPod owner, and I love it.

But if I were a Shuffle owner and my needs absolutely required me to get some USB extention (because, for instance, my computer didn’t have the appropriate physical space to plug the Shuffle into the USB port), then if I can save $28 by buying a cable instead of their precious “dock”, you bet your a$$ I will.

But if you absolutely can’t stand to have your Shuffle not sitting upright in a dock while it’s charging, start saving your pennies.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on February 4, 2005 at 6:44 AM (CST)

Push,

I agree that it’s mindless consumerism at work here, but I can’t blame Apple for picking up on the action.  Consumers have picked up overpriced, sometimes rather useless third-party accessories for the previous iPod models.  Why shouldn’t Apple grab a piece of the action if it helps improves the margins for their low-end Shuffle?

Posted by SPThom on February 4, 2005 at 8:03 AM (CST)

if you look close enough, it is really just a cable with a large piece of plastic.  that must drive cost WAY up…

i think that a more reasonable way to do it would have been to have an accesory package.  get the dock AND the charger for $29. then i wouldnt think it was so outrageous.

i wonder how much apple will be able to corner the market.  USB spec has been around for a long time.  its not like their dock connector.  companies should be able to come up with products in no time.

Posted by zip22 on February 4, 2005 at 8:37 AM (CST)

Does anyone else think that the Shuffle+Dock looks like a pixel person’s “proboscis” at attention?  iPackage?

Posted by m0nstermike on February 4, 2005 at 8:45 AM (CST)

Everything that we buy is marked up, not just Apple products: the blade for your razor, the ink for your printer, the beer at the bar.

I think sometimes people forget what the purpose of a business is.

Posted by chicubipod in chicago on February 4, 2005 at 3:36 PM (CST)

This is not white and doesn’t have an Apple logo, but it’s seven times more useful than this “dock”: Belkin 7-port upright USB hub. You can plug in the shuffle, and have room left over to plug in 6 other devices. Runs around $35, but I’ve seen it for $30 here.

Posted by Demosthenes on February 4, 2005 at 4:13 PM (CST)

Where do you put the USB cap when the Shuffle is in the dock?

Posted by a1l3n on February 4, 2005 at 7:00 PM (CST)

No shuffles available in the San Francisco not even in Steve Jobs hometown Palo Alto. I went to the Microcenter center in Sunnyvale twice cus they thought that they may be getting 40 in yesterday but it was a lie. I went to the Apple store in Palo Alto last night and they had three for demo…they didn’t even have demo units on Thursday!  They had no ides when they would have any to sell. I swear the shuffle soumds better than the ipod.

Posted by silvertrailer on February 5, 2005 at 9:30 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >