iPod shuffle poll ends, Videos on your iPod poll opens | iLounge News

iPod shuffle poll ends, Videos on your iPod poll opens

Interrupted during our transition to the updated iLounge web site, the last iLounge Poll, “How will Apple’s new $49/$69 iPod shuffles affect you?” has just ended. Though a 47% response rate to the option “I don’t care; I wouldn’t buy one” would suggest a general lack of interest in this iPod model, that number left 53% of responding readers as either shuffle owners or interested in some way in the shuffle lineup. Fifteen percent said that they were more likely to buy a shuffle as a gift, 12% were more likely to buy one for themselves, and 9% more likely to do both. The remaining 16% already had shuffles, and indicated that they didn’t care about the lower prices for any reason. Thanks for your responses!

With discussions about video iPods reaching historic heights in recent weeks, we’ve just opened our new poll, “What type of videos are you watching on your iPod or iPhone?” We’re not looking for genre responses—we want to know how you’re getting videos onto your iPod. Are you a buyer, free downloader, DVD ripper, or combination? Cast your vote from the main iLounge.com homepage by looking for the iLounge Poll header in the left hand column, and click on the arrows to open the poll. We look forward to your responses!

« UK’s O2, Carphone Warehouse sold out of 8GB iPhones, not restocking [updated]

Mix: 3G iPhone concern, Apple patent, iPod slowdown, Bandwidth hog »

Comments

Why are there only those three options on the video iPod poll?  I have content from all three sources, but the number one source of videos on my iPhone is from my own camcorder.  I think home movies should have been option number four.

Honestly, I never put many home videos on my video iPod.  More of that content was ripped from DVD or downloaded.

Posted by Neil on April 24, 2008 at 9:26 PM (CDT)

Home movies have been added as another source of free video for those who want to include it.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 24, 2008 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

I would probably buy an ipod shuffle instead of (just) the white earbuds whenever i need some. : )

Posted by Pablo Galvan on April 24, 2008 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

“free downloader”?  I wouldn’t call it that exactly.  I like to think of it more like stealing.  I “steal” copyrighted AVIs copies and then convert them to MP4s with a stolen copy of Cucusoft. ;-)  At least I’m honest in that I call it what it is.

Posted by Mike M on April 25, 2008 at 1:41 AM (CDT)

pablo. . . goooood call. my bud’s broke, and why the hell not? thank you :)

Posted by Andrew Horn on April 25, 2008 at 2:23 AM (CDT)

I am not happy with the way that smilie face turned into a smirk, it’s more of a general pleasure than a knowing smile. Tomorrow, i just may buy an iPod shuffle.

Posted by Andrew Horn on April 25, 2008 at 2:24 AM (CDT)

I don’t see why you linked “don’t have a video capable iPod” and “don’t watch video on a video capable iPod” - they’re two very different things. The first group is hard to pin down, maybe they don’t care about video, maybe they don’t have the money to upgrade, maybe they have a personal policy of not upgrading until something breaks. The second group, though, you know something about them: they don’t give a rat’s arse about video on the go.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on April 25, 2008 at 7:33 AM (CDT)

Perhaps because we didn’t care. Honestly, sort of like with home movies.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on April 25, 2008 at 7:52 AM (CDT)

It’s going to be interesting to see the results for this. I know that, personally, I would watch more movies from iTunes if the selection were better. As it stands now, I’m slowly backing up my DVD collection, and the number of videos from that endeavor far outnumber my purchases from iTunes.

I’d also be interested in finding out where and how people watch video. It may sound strange, but I actually watch videos on my iPhone at home most of the time. I don’t spend enough time on public transportation, and I usually work through my lunch break.
Also, because of the limited capacity of the iPhone, I rarely download video to it, and instead use a program to stream video stored on my hard drive.

Posted by Miranda Kali on April 25, 2008 at 9:13 AM (CDT)

“Also, because of the limited capacity of the iPhone, I rarely download video to it…’

Same here, Miranda.  Though the iPhone has the largest, brightest, and sharpest screen of all the other iPods, it lacks the storage to be a practical movie device.  I just have Ton & Jerry on it to keep my kids entertained on road trips.  Well that and some Google Video clips of Barak and Hilliary that I use to show m friends just who they’re voting for.  Actually I’ve downloaded a considerable amount of content from Google video.  Their MP4 feature is great!

Posted by Mike M on April 25, 2008 at 9:40 AM (CDT)

I rip NetFlix DVDs as well as ones I purchase, for my Touch using my own software, DVD Catalyst. I also use TiVo Desktop to automatically convert recorded TV shows for my iPods.

I have an 8GB Touch and a 4GB Nano, and always keep them filled up for emergencies. For some reason, I always find myself having to take someone somewhere at least twice a week, and it is a godsend to have some entertainment while waiting.

Besides that, I tend to watch my own stuff while the wife is watching her life-time-movie-network shows (or Dr Phill/Oprah) while still being social.

While I did purchase some TV shows from iTunes, a lot of stuff I watch just isn’t on there.

Posted by Mitch on April 25, 2008 at 11:42 AM (CDT)

I probably have 40 ripped films on my iPod 5.5G 80 GB. Throw in a few TV shows I’ve ripped to iTunes. Still have never downloaded a full-length movie from iTunes, and only on a couple of occasions have I acquired a television episode that way. I have a Sonic Impact V55 that enables me to watch iPod videos on a larger screen with better audio output, so I’ve taken advantage of that and made my iPod more versatile than it used to be as a result.

I keep a couple of movies on my iPhone just for grins. Handbrake’s iPhone conversion setting is pretty good, just a shade faster and keeps the file a bit smaller than normal iPod settings.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on April 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM (CDT)

I wach TONS of TV shows converted from AVIs as Mike M describes.  I would watch at home but i simply don’t have time to sit like a potato in front of a TV so i catch up on my weekly shows on the treadmill/Elipitical at the gym.  Amazing how an hour and a half will fly by watching TV the entire time

Posted by Crash613 on April 25, 2008 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

I’m with Flippy on the “movies on the iPhone” thing. The latest Handbrake works GREAT for ripping movies I own onto my iPhone. File size is “just right,” and the quality is great.

Most of my content comes from iTunes; several video podcasts, 1-3 TV shows, and a few music videos. Haven’t bought/rented a movie from iTunes yet, may someday…and when I do I’ll connect my MacBook to my DVD recorder & have a copy of it.

Rarely do I bittorrent, and when I do, it’s for TV shows I already receive but forget / am unable to record at the time.

I have about 5 movies on my 5G iPod + video, but obviously they look much better on the iPhone. I typically keep 1 movie on my iPhone, and interchange it when I feel the need.

Posted by Bearsfan on April 25, 2008 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

I personally buy pretty much all of my TV shows from iTunes, rip DVD movies, and “free download” music videos unless they came with an album I bought off of iTunes. I mean come on, buying music videos are kind of a rip off if you ask me. I love iTunes and the iTunes store. Best things ever ! I was spending like $50 bucks a week when I got my first iPod at the beginning of last year. It really is addicting.

Posted by Bfrank on April 28, 2008 at 6:13 PM (CDT)