iPod shuffle 1GB price drops to $49, new 2GB at $69 [updated]
Apple’s 1GB iPod shuffle, long maintained by the company to be a popular and important member of the iPod family because of its low price point, today is dropping to $49 from its previous price of $79. Considered long overdue by those who have compared the shuffle to newer, similar, and less expensive alternatives such as the Zen Stone from companies such as Creative, the price drop simultaneously establishes the lowest-ever entry price point for the iPod family, and re-affirms Apple’s interest—at least temporarily—in keeping the shuffle around rather than discontinuing it in favor of a cheaper iPod nano. The 1GB iPod shuffle continues to be available in five colors, each primarily aluminum with plastic accents, and feature a rear integrated shirt clip. Competitors such as the Zen Stone use all-plastic bodies, but also start at prices as low as $35.
Updated: Apple has also announced the release of a 2GB iPod shuffle for $69. “The new 2GB model lets music lovers bring even more songs everywhere they go in the impossibly small iPod shuffle,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide iPod Product Marketing. Apple’s online store has not yet added the 2GB model, which will be available by month’s end, or indicated the color(s) it will be available in; the company’s press release implies that the 2GB model’s colors will be the same.
- Apple intros space gray iPod touch, nano, shuffle
- Apple patents fourth-generation iPod shuffle
- Updated photo gallery: every new 2012 iPod shuffle
- First photos show 2012 iPod shuffle colors, textures
- New iPod shuffle to debut at WWDC?
- Apple patent points to iPod nano/shuffle speaker
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Adobe dropping Photoshop Touch in favor of more focused apps
- Report: Dual app viewing, multiple logins coming to iPad
- Transit coming to Apple Maps in iOS 9?
- Apple and IBM expand MobileFirst apps to Apple Watch
- Report: Pebble facing financial struggles?
- iOS 9 to include new Home app for HomeKit?
- Report: Apple to bring Apple Watch font to iOS 9
- Leak reveals Flow by Outlook, a Microsoft email messaging app for iPhone
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 SonicPro Over-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?