iPod silhouette guy dances at Apple Store | iLounge News

iPod silhouette guy dances at Apple Store

imageIn a performance that was recorded for posterity, an Apple retail store in Novi, Michigan last week featured a surprise three-minute appearance by one of the iPod silhouette dancers - or at least, someone dressed like one of them.

Patrons weren’t the only ones surprised to see the man in all-black attire get down to Jet’s song Are You Gonna Be My Girl? next to the store’s Genius Bar; following the performance, the store’s manager kicked out the performer’s friends, who lingered with a video camera after the impromptu dance routine had ended.

For details on the life imitates art imitates life performance, check out Cult of Mac, and don’t forget to watch the movie. Key moment: the silhouette drops his iPod a third of the way through, but doesn’t stop dancing.

« New at iLounge: the Lounge Poll

Mix: iTunes video, Microsoft, Podcasting, NYPD, Tic Tacs »

Comments

I love how this guy mocks the annoying iPod commercials. I always hated them and I found this video hilarious because it shows how stupid those commercials are.

They are just as annoying as those Swiffer Jet commercials where there is someone dancing around like an idiot.

That new iPod commercial with Daft Punk’s Technoligic track is really irritating. Especially when the dancer starts singing the ‘technologic’ lyrics.

I have never seen someone actually dance in real life holding an iPod before, untill now.

If apple thinks this marketing campaign is the reason for the iPod’s success then they are wrong. The iPod is an innovative product and deserves a better commercial.

Posted by Bruce Wayne on June 11, 2005 at 5:20 PM (CDT)

i dont mind the ipod commercials at all. the ones that piss me off were the ones for itunes and pepsi.

Posted by Navas on June 11, 2005 at 6:06 PM (CDT)

I’m with Navas. I don’t even like Pepsi! I like Coke.

Anyways, too bad this guy couldn’t dance better or at least try to do the same dance! I though he was going to count “1, 2, 3” with his fingers like the commercial.

Also, it would have been better to do this IN FRONT of the store! On the street??? With a huge boombox playing the song.

Posted by minty on June 11, 2005 at 6:41 PM (CDT)

I find it funny when he drops the ipod on the floor…lol.

Posted by Ed1bleTal2get on June 11, 2005 at 7:02 PM (CDT)

I thought the ads were cool at first, but they’re getting a bit tired now.  The newest featuring daft punk is embarassing to listen to and watch while holding an iPod.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on June 11, 2005 at 7:10 PM (CDT)

When I read the headline I thought it was a stunt done by Apple and I was thinking “man that is so cheesey.” But I’m glad it was someone making fun of the ads. They were cool in the beginning, but now I’m tired of them.

Posted by jmaurand on June 11, 2005 at 7:48 PM (CDT)

I had that Daft Punk song on my iPod before it was released with the comercial, so in a way I am special.

Posted by Steve on June 11, 2005 at 7:51 PM (CDT)

1,  Apple really needs to innovate their commercials, 2 this guy needs to innovate his skills in dancing.

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on June 11, 2005 at 7:53 PM (CDT)

this was at my store!! WOO

Posted by armless on June 11, 2005 at 8:18 PM (CDT)

apple should come up with commercials for the ipod mini. i dont think they have that out. :/

Posted by Navas on June 11, 2005 at 8:43 PM (CDT)

They should do regular commercials showing how people use their ipods, like on subways, walking etc. Remember the old polaroid commercials?

Posted by Chanel Lee on June 11, 2005 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

Must not be a ‘lounger, otherwise he would have checked the ratings in accessories on cases/clips before attempting to dance like a zombie from Land of the Dead .  .  .  .

Posted by runningman on June 11, 2005 at 10:04 PM (CDT)

Questions and comments
-Where’s the music coming from.
-Better song than any of the commercials, Ive had it on my ipod for a while
-needed to corieograph (sp) dancing to music more.
-I was waiting for big shouldered guy in a white jump suit to run from off the screen and tackle.
-I would have to have seen more people’s reactions
-Black cotton gloves (Im guessing)+ slippery ipod= freakin funny
-I think we all have to admit that this guy has balls

Posted by ipodfreak in oregon on June 11, 2005 at 10:06 PM (CDT)

The link to the video doesn’t work…

Posted by ipodman715 on June 11, 2005 at 10:15 PM (CDT)

Nm, it’s the first link that doesn’t work.

Posted by ipodman715 on June 11, 2005 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

ipodfreak, that song HAS been in an iPod commercial.

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on June 11, 2005 at 10:34 PM (CDT)

before my time, I guess.

Posted by ipodfreak in oregon on June 11, 2005 at 11:18 PM (CDT)

Was what he was doing, even considered “dancing”?  It got dumb after 30 seconds into the clip.  The only part I liked about it was when he dropped his iPod.

Posted by pookgai on June 11, 2005 at 11:35 PM (CDT)

This is a stunt by the guys who run http://www.somethingawfulcom.  It was this weeks “Comedy Goldmine”

Posted by JePra on June 12, 2005 at 2:27 AM (CDT)

Why is it that when i do that in my local apple store i just get kicked out?!?!

Posted by Daniel on June 12, 2005 at 3:41 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >