iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released | iLounge News

iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released

Apple has released the iPod Software 2.0.1 Update.

What’s New in iPod Software Update 2.0.1:

• Better support for Asian languages
• Enhanced On-The-Go playlist functionality
• Improved playback performance
• Improved handling of mp3 VBR songs
• Fixed artist sorting
• Improved backlight
• Improved alarm clock
• Fixed left/right channel swapping

New in Windows Update:
• USB 2.0 synchronization
• Support for Audible.com
• Support for multiple iPods on one computer
• Shorter connection times
• Better overall performance

« Pre-order iTrip for new iPods

Incase Releases New Sleeve for iPod »

Comments

The On-the-Go playlist now works like it should! When you add a song while the playlist is playing it will go to that song an play it when it comes up in the play order, WITHOUT having to restart the entire playlist.

DJ’s rejoice.

Posted by Agentkow on June 19, 2003 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

Rock on, Agentkow!  iPod, meet playqueue.  Playqueue, meet iPod.  I’m sure that you’ll very soon become the BEST of friends!  :D

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on June 19, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on June 19, 2003 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

But does the download have to be so huge?  29MB?  Geez.  I am sure that’s not all firmware.  Does someone have just the actual firmware file?

Posted by Andrew McDonald on June 19, 2003 at 1:32 PM (PDT)

2.0.1 update for 3rd gen ipods only. 1.3 update for Mac OS users only with no o-t-f playlists anyway and Windows version available “soon”.

Why do they bother? Steve Jobs really /is/ having a laugh at the 2nd gen Winipod users.

Posted by NiShFiSh on June 19, 2003 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

Gah, still no Ogg support. Shame.

Posted by Rob on June 19, 2003 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

NishFish, I wish you would’ve replied to my post! I totally agree with you! I even ranted on the “soon” aspect of it. Check it out at:

Posted by zync on June 19, 2003 at 1:56 PM (PDT)

You’ve taken some on the chin over there!

Me. I’m not so bothered I have something which works, and works well, so I’‘m mostly happy with what I’ve got. It’s just the (continued) contempatble attitude from Apple which riles me. Superb product but IMO they have demonstrated they can be as arrogant as Redmond underneath the skin.

Perhaps they think we’ll all be fawning over new ipods when iTunes for Windows materialises. I don’t think so.

They will have to introduce track crossfading before I’ll buy another ipod now.

Posted by NiShFiSh on June 19, 2003 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

yeah… another day ill be sad. UPDATE 2ND GEN WiPODS!!!

Posted by Stasyna on June 19, 2003 at 2:39 PM (PDT)

Has anyone tried using 2.0.1 on a 1st or 2nd gen ipod?  I sold my older 1st gen 10gig or I would have tried it myself.  Just curious.  You can always go back to 1.2.6 or 1.3 whatever applies.  I could be wrong though so don’t flame me if you try it and it kills your ipod.  I don’t think it will… kill your ipod, that is.

Posted by cougardew on June 19, 2003 at 2:45 PM (PDT)

why do they do this to us 2G owners?, btw i know this is off topic but has anyone noticed the difference in fonts that ipod is written in based on what generation one u have

Posted by ari on June 19, 2003 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

FYI, the 32 meg windows download is uncompressed.  You can Rar it to just 11.7 megs.

Posted by Albert on June 19, 2003 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

The click seems to be gone.

Posted by Robert Dodson on June 19, 2003 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

Unless my ears are deceiving me…the CLICK is gone!

Posted by Orb on June 19, 2003 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Is there a way I can use ephPod to put it on my gen 3?  I have win98 and the OS isn’t supported by the update…

Posted by joerge on June 19, 2003 at 3:48 PM (PDT)

Robert-

You are quite right, the click between songs is gone. That was the only thing that bothered me. Thank you Apple, thank you.

BTW, the 2.0.1 updater will not work on older Pods, only Pods that use the new dock. The new 10, 15 and 30GB.

Posted by Steven on June 19, 2003 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

for those with second gen ipods, no i will not work, all it will do is install and then tell u that the firmware update isnt compatible

Posted by ari on June 19, 2003 at 4:13 PM (PDT)

The clicks are gone now. I’m relieved. Apple rulez. Enjoy your music

Posted by Toffi on June 19, 2003 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

Does anyone knows the detail of the rest *improved features*?

Improved backlight—>How come?
Improved playback performance—>meaning?
Improved handling of mp3 VBR songs
Improved alarm clock
Shorter connection times
Better overall performance—>Including battery life?

Posted by Harrison on June 19, 2003 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

What do they mean by “Improved Backlight”?

Posted by Daniel Kaplan on June 19, 2003 at 4:55 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »