iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released | iLounge News

iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released

Apple has released the iPod Software 2.0.1 Update.

What

« Pre-order iTrip for new iPods

Incase Releases New Sleeve for iPod »

Comments

this is awesome almost everything was fixed i love Apple all over again…..YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Rejoice 3g Podders….its a glorious day

Posted by Edwin on June 19, 2003 at 8:57 PM (CDT)

improved backlight—> apparently if you selected ‘always on’ for the backlight, it woudln’t stay on the way it should. also. i think they added the 2 second option for the backlight sleep timer…

improved playback performance—> i think this is a all encompassing thing - the clicks are gone, seems like the menus work better (no lags) and just general touching up of the code.

improved alarm clock—> this means it acually works on my iPod now ;)

i’m sure basically this was just a ton of fixes under the hood, and the few biggies got taken care of too.

maybe they’ll release a better changelog soon.

Posted by wt McGee in Atlanta, Ga on June 19, 2003 at 9:24 PM (CDT)

The calendar is what i would now call snappy, that is a welcome improvement.

Posted by nilepocdotcom on June 19, 2003 at 9:25 PM (CDT)

sorry for the newbie question…  but how do i use this update file?  Just connect the iPod to the PC and run the setup.exe ?

Posted by ywwong on June 19, 2003 at 9:32 PM (CDT)

Nevermind.. I got it.  :)

The clicks are GONE!  :D

Posted by ywwong on June 19, 2003 at 9:50 PM (CDT)

2.01 update hurray the click has left the building sorry iPod!

Posted by mac_gladdy on June 19, 2003 at 9:52 PM (CDT)

Even better than the clicks being gone for me is that none of my songs skip anymore!  Before the update I was keeping my iPod in its box because using it pissed me off too much since 1/3 of my songs just skipped to the next track at various random times.  Not so anymore.  Now my $400 toy may be usable.

Posted by Berylium on June 19, 2003 at 10:17 PM (CDT)

i found out that the songs sound better too… no more bass distortion…  wow.

Posted by ywwong on June 19, 2003 at 10:26 PM (CDT)

I have a request for any user of the new iPods.  Would you please e-mail me your SysInfo file that is stored on your iPod?  I think I may have found a way to trick an older gen iPod into thinking that it is a newer iPod and thus updating the firmware.  I managed to trick my iPod into thinking it had firmware 2.0 (at which point the iPod manager software told me I needed to update to 2.01, but it wouldn’t allow me because it still said it was incompatible with the hardware.  So if anyone with a new iPod would please e-mail me the SysInfo file that is located within “iPod_ControlDevice” I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

Posted by CyberInferno on June 19, 2003 at 10:38 PM (CDT)

I wish the CEO or people in charge over there at Apple Computer would change the current situation regarding the new 2.0 iPod software. Offering the new iPod software only to owners of 3rd-generation iPods truly is a repugnant form of passive-aggressive upgrade scheming. The wrong-headed decision reeks of the dirty tactics used by an unnamed software company from Redmond.

Posted by Adam Carrington on June 20, 2003 at 12:27 AM (CDT)

So much for all that nonsense previously written about different firmware in the US and European iPods.  The firmware download is the same from both sides of the Atlantic.

Pity the new firmware doesn’t allow the tunes to join together more better as happens on the original CD or indeed in iTunes.  Still the pause between songs, but at long last cyrillic font support is there but please change to a better font please Apple, the space between letters is a little large!!!

Posted by Sir Alien on June 20, 2003 at 12:32 AM (CDT)

Does this fix the hang when it goes to sleep or stops all of the hard resets?  Havent gotten to use it yet.  Thanks

Posted by Rich on June 20, 2003 at 12:54 AM (CDT)

Well pleased about the clicks going but it’s funny they don’t mention that in the list of fixes!?

However, I’d still like my UK 30GB iPod to go a bit louder, are the US models more powerful? Knowledgebase article 60920 claims 60mW output, but I think that refers to the previous models…!?

Posted by Gonzo Lagonda on June 20, 2003 at 4:14 AM (CDT)

This seems to have fixed all the problems I was having with the iPod not waking up properly and yes the calendar is much faster!

Posted by Jeff Paffett on June 20, 2003 at 4:21 AM (CDT)

Any confirmation of better sound quality and what do these things mean ?

Posted by penbat on June 20, 2003 at 4:43 AM (CDT)

Has any european noticed the sound is louder after installing the new firmware ? (there might be no more cap in the new firemware).

Thx

Posted by mushkin on June 20, 2003 at 5:04 AM (CDT)

Do you think you have noticed any difference or are you just asking ? I had a quick listen earlier on and i don’t think there was any obvious difference in volume.

Posted by penbat on June 20, 2003 at 5:07 AM (CDT)

I’ve notinstalled it yet.
It was just a question.

Posted by mushkin on June 20, 2003 at 5:09 AM (CDT)

There shouldn’t be any cap in this firmware ... strange.

Posted by mushkin on June 20, 2003 at 5:10 AM (CDT)

From my readings of the French restrictions on noise, this appears to be broadcast frequences of the units to stop interference and not the output through the headphones as some are suggesting.  The volume levels on the European and US iPods (and yes I have head both) seem to be the same to me.

Posted by Sir Alien in United Kingdom on June 20, 2003 at 5:42 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >