iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released | iLounge News

iPod Software 2.0.1 Update Released

Apple has released the iPod Software 2.0.1 Update.

What’s New in iPod Software Update 2.0.1:

• Better support for Asian languages
• Enhanced On-The-Go playlist functionality
• Improved playback performance
• Improved handling of mp3 VBR songs
• Fixed artist sorting
• Improved backlight
• Improved alarm clock
• Fixed left/right channel swapping

New in Windows Update:
• USB 2.0 synchronization
• Support for Audible.com
• Support for multiple iPods on one computer
• Shorter connection times
• Better overall performance

« Pre-order iTrip for new iPods

Incase Releases New Sleeve for iPod »

Comments

whats the deal about the docking station and 2.01 update

““IMPORTANT NOTE: iPod Software 2.0.1 supports only iPods with a dock connector. Touch-wheel and scroll-wheel iPod owners without a dock connector should download iPod Software Update 1.3”“

I have a new 10 gig win without the dock,can i use the 2.01 update or not?the 15 and 30 come with the dock.am i missing something here? thanks

Posted by justaguy on June 20, 2003 at 6:46 AM (PDT)

what they mean is not the ipod that came with the dock, the ipod that have the new dock Connection (3G ipods) so old 2g and 1g ipods cannot use this update, so if you have a new 3g 10gb ipod this update applies to you doesnt matter if you have the dock or not, the connection on the bottom of the new ipods is what they are calling the “Dock Connector” because its different from the firewire connection that the old ipods have…..

Posted by Edwin on June 20, 2003 at 6:48 AM (PDT)

Beware that *SOME* iPod owners are turning their cool iPods into the coolest paperweights after installing this “update”.. Follow the thread on the Apple discussions board for the iPod usage entitled ”
Update has killed my 30 gig iPod”.. I along with numerous other people now have completely non-functional iPods..

Posted by X-Addict on June 20, 2003 at 7:05 AM (PDT)

thanks edwin for the help
about the dock

Posted by justaguy on June 20, 2003 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

for all you euros out there you can make the volume louder. conect ipod to mac then go to itunes, hilight all of your songs on your i pod, then go to get info and increase the volume adjusments. worked for mine

Posted by Phill in Texas on June 20, 2003 at 8:40 AM (PDT)

no prob bob,
____
[  ]
oooo
(O)
——-

Posted by Edwin on June 20, 2003 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

Well I’m trying the update and it just keeps saying “Can’t open iPod” when I try to run it…  Anyone got any ideas as to what could be wrong?

Posted by Trash on June 20, 2003 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

No update for 2nd-gen ipods, what a surprise….I’m getting a 60GB Nomad Zen when it comes out, if I’m going to get an upgraded product, I might as well go all the way…the Apple take on this situation really annoys me, I’ll take my money where I’ll get some respect.

Posted by disgruntled on June 20, 2003 at 10:59 AM (PDT)

^^^

seriously..  go get Nomad Zen if you think that will make you happy..

I failed to see why apple NEEDS to put an update for 2nd Gen pod.

Posted by ywwong on June 20, 2003 at 11:56 AM (PDT)

People do get spoiled it seems.

I doubt that Apple ever promised an upgrade path to anyone who bought these units.  There were no guarantees of additional functionality made.

When I buy a car I don’t expect that I will be able to have the features of next years models.

Same thing for my computer.  Intel is not going to send me a newer/faster processor everytime they come out with one just because I bought one now.

If people were happy enough with the iPod they had, why can’t they stay happy?

The way I figure it, Apple can continue to spend money programming for older units or they can support the current models.

Posted by George Babar on June 20, 2003 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

If you fail to see why they need to update, that’s fine, I respect that. I, on the other hand, felt that if Apple was releasing improvements to the software like the ones for battery life or AAC support (NOT hardware or parts, Mr. Intel), it should not be too much of a stretch to add some extra features, it’s called keeping the customer happy. Now, maybe it’s no longer important to them (since they’ve got my $400+), but locking o-t-g playlists into the new ipod seems to be a ploy to squeeze out even more money. Contrary to what you guys may believe, the ipod is no longer the only playa in the mp3 player stakes, and besides I’m sick of seeing those damn white earphones everywhere I look these days…I’m going to “think different” and go with the Zen.

Posted by disgruntled on June 20, 2003 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

I don’t know if the problem here is that they CANT add it, or that the WONT add it.  Certainly if they CANT add it there is nothing to complain about.

If the WONT add it then that may be an issue.  If it is just software then I can’t imagine there is that much difference between the old and new units.  In that case they probably ought to add it.

If there is some hardware reason, then nobody should complain.

But in any case you bought the unit as it was, any improvements are icing on the cake.

When I bought a Coolpix 5000 camera I bought it with the features it had.  When they added new features through a firmware upgrade I was suprised and happy.  But I would not have held Nikon responsible for NOT adding that functionality even though newer models had it.  I boug the camera knowing what it could and could not do.

That’s my point.  I can understand being “annoyed” at Apple not upgrading the old units but they never promised the feature when you bought it.

I guess this will all wash out, I switched from Creative to Apple because I liked the size and portability of the new iPod as well as the interface.  If you go to Creative then they will have made an even swap in the customer base I guess.

Posted by George Babar on June 20, 2003 at 12:55 PM (PDT)

TRASH: it did the same thing to me.
Erase ephpod/Xplay if installed, all ipod soft, and re-install the update soft. Reboot.
Do a restore and check your Ipod firmware: it is 2.0.1

Posted by mushkin on June 20, 2003 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

Can anyone who has yet to upgrade confirm the following is true also for 2.0. I noticed that when you select a track you can hear/feel the disk access the data it then goes quiet. However there still seems to be a constant whirr unless you switch on hold. I’d like to know if this is new or not. If it is I would expect the battery life to be shorter with 2.0.1 than 2.0.0.

Posted by Stile on June 21, 2003 at 3:40 AM (PDT)

The online petition asking Apple to update the firmware for first and secong generation iPods has already been signed by over 3500 iPod owners.  Owners of first and second generation iPods who haven’t already done so should sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/ipoduser/petition.html  Owners of third generation iPods and anyone contemplating purchasing a third generation iPod should consider the possibility that Apple will stop supporting and updating third generation iPods in the same way in the future.

Posted by WindozeBloze in New York on June 21, 2003 at 3:41 AM (PDT)

wonderful. after trying to update, my ipod is DEAD. completely. wont turn on at all. perfect.

Posted by Todd Chandler on June 21, 2003 at 4:34 AM (PDT)

Posted by Todd Chandler on June 21, 2003 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

ok guys one thing i learned the hard way
DO NOT RUN THE UPDATE WHEN THE IPOD IS PLUGGED IN.
for some reason when you restart the computer and your pod is plugged in, it causes the pod to freeze or something….
what i did when that happend i
re-installed the update (the ipod unplugged)
restarted
plugged the ipod in
ran the updater
hit update….it took a while but it updated it (remember its a 29mb file)
enjoyed my “new” toy

Posted by Edwin on June 21, 2003 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

i ran the setup file with the ipod plugged in and restart the computer with the ipod plugged in.  Mine didnd’t freeze.. it just didn’t do any update until i found out that i need to used the updater to do the update.

Posted by ywwong on June 21, 2003 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

Does the update work for Windows 98SE?

If not Im gonna have to update my system. Also will updating the firmware delete any mp3s? (Im guessing not, but would really hate to lose my music)

GuyVer

Posted by GuyVer on June 22, 2003 at 3:50 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >