iPod Software v2.0 only for new models | iLounge News

iPod Software v2.0 only for new models

By eustacescrubb

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, April 30, 2003
News Categories:

A moderator for Apple’s Knowledge Base discussion forums weighed in on whether iPod Software 2.0 would be compatible with older iPods, and the answer is NO:

“iPod software 2.0 and its features are only compatible with new iPods.

iPod software 1.3 allows existing iPod customers to play back AAC music purchased from the iTunes Music Store or ripped from a user’s CD collection on their iPod.

Gayle
AppleCare Discussions”

(Thanks to iLounger huggies for pointing this out.)

« The iPod is an American icon

New AppleScript to help find album artwork »

Comments

Well that’s no good. My pod isn’t even four months old.

Posted by riffola on April 30, 2003 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

I think your sentiments are mirrored by pretty much every current iPod owner… this is quite upsetting.

Posted by eustacescrubb in Yellow Springs. OH on April 30, 2003 at 6:19 AM (PDT)

So much for the fabled Apple support…

Posted by Shrike on April 30, 2003 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

Don’t complain here.  Complain to Apple.

Posted by richard on April 30, 2003 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

What about all the old iPods (left over 10 GB stock).  Where are they being sold, and has anyone found any good deals on old version iPods?  I dont like the way the new ones look, and personally, would like to see if i could find an old iPod (10GB) for somewhere at around 199.00.  Let me know

Posted by jojotcb in Greensboro on April 30, 2003 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

Lame.

I could go on, but… naaw.

Apparently the all of the brains in Cuppertino can’t figure out how to put a playqueue on a legacy iPod.  That’s just pathetic.

Posted by c.c.r. in Seattle, WA on April 30, 2003 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

It is a consumer electronics gadget, not a computer.  Get over it.  When 6.1 home theater systems came out, you didn’t hear people ######## about how wrongheaded it was that their great 5.1 system didn’t support that extra speaker.  How about Dolby Digital vs ProLogic?  Same thing.

Fabled Apple Support is right - it supports the new music service.  The new features are just that NEW FEATURES - it doesn’t make your iPod perform the task it has performed since you got it any worse.  Would it be neat to have the new stuff?  Sure.  My iPod is 2 weeks old.  And my enthusiasm for it is no less than they day I got it because the newer models have some nifty stuff.  As I said at the start:  get over it!

Posted by CaneGuy on April 30, 2003 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

well, i’m sorry but i have a Powerbook Pismo g3 and i’m running the newset system: OS X 10.2.5!
My 20Gb iPod is only 7 months old and i can’t run the newest software? that is SO wrong!

i don’t think Playqueue would be SO difficult to add to older iPods!
And if Apple doesn’t want to do it, at least, they should let 3rd party developpers do it!

f/

Posted by frederic bonn in NYC on April 30, 2003 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

I think are expectation are too high for Apple and their products.  It’s one thing for their computers not to be upgradeable, and stay configured with the latest and greatest features etc… but iPods?  The Sony user community never complains when their MP3 players are replaced with newer models (and the old models are rarely upgradeable)... at the original iPod is a classic, and still VERY useful… but we can’t expect to buy a consumer device, and have it stay state-of-the-art, even as newer models are being produced.  Apple has to focus on innovation to survive, and they’ve done that with Monday’s announcements.

Posted by cny730 on April 30, 2003 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

Thing is that I STRONGLY doubt that the old Ipods have any hardware based cause making it impossible to implement the new Ipods features.
One advantage of mp3 player is that they are able to get new features by Firmware upgrades if they are software based (like on the fly playlists, new games, alarm clock, etc…)

Posted by Shrike on April 30, 2003 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

The iPod *is* a computer. And the Sony mp3 players don’t cost $500 each.

Posted by eustacescrubb in Yellow Springs. OH on April 30, 2003 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

I advise all whiners to chill.

Apple released the AAC support for iPod in the form of 1.3 firmware for the first day of the store opening. This was a MUST on their part. (Who would buy music if they can only play it on their computer?)

It must have been a franatic pace of software development to get that out of the door in time, without bugs. They did not have time for niceties. That is my guess.

They will probably release 1.4 eventually that will have some or all of the 2.0 features (features that are not hardware limited).

So chill. Wait it out.

Posted by pbox on April 30, 2003 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

pbox I hope your as smart as you sound… <smile>

Posted by MusclePup on April 30, 2003 at 10:30 PM (PDT)

I for one am pissed. I bought my iPod this past semester around February and now it becomes outdated ON MY BIRTHDAY!? What the hell is up with that. I don’t really like the look of the thing but the fact that for the same price as mine I could’ve had 10 more GB really pisses me off. Plus Apple has so far left us in the dark as to whether we’ll receive more updates for our current iPods….Plus those features are the ones I’ve been sending them comments on to add in….it’s like a stab in the back and if I never see those features implemented or the updates discontinued I will never buy another apple product; I don’t care how much I like the powerbook G4! smile

Posted by zync on April 30, 2003 at 11:14 PM (PDT)

I have an older 10 Gig iPod that I was actually considering selling for about $200, now more-so since Apple introduced the new models.

But before I can buy a newer, bigger iPod, I’ll need to sell mine. So if anyone is interested, click on KCSamerica below to email me.

Posted by KCSamerica in Ohio on May 1, 2003 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

My feedback to Apple is here if anyone is interested in reading it.

Posted by Songdog on May 1, 2003 at 2:44 PM (PDT)