iPod support for copy-protected CDs coming soon | iLounge News

iPod support for copy-protected CDs coming soon

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, August 23, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Copy protection provider Macrovision is sufficiently confident that it will be able to incorporate FairPlay support into its CDS-300 copy control that is has begun telling customers that it will add iTunes and iPod support to its software in Q4.

According to mailings sent out with the company’s CDS-300 version 7 beta release, ‘support for iPod and iTunes… will be made available in a Q4 update.’”

« Mac: iPod.iTunes 2.6.6 released

UK: Pre-orders for iSkin eVo2 for 4G iPod being accepted »

Comments

I will never buy a CD that is copy protected. No matter what they do with the protection.

Sure, I have an iPod and would be able to listen to the “ripped” CD on my iPod. The problem is that I have many other devices that I want to use to listen to my music with as well.

My TiVo is a good example of this. With a CD protected by FairPlay, I wouldn’t be able to listen to that “ripped” CD with my TiVo. I seriously doubt that Apple is going to give TiVo the ability to play FairPlay songs.

I don’t like what REAL is doing with Harmony, but a “universal” protection that every device can use would be a solution that I would accept and use. Until then, it’s unprotected CD’s or it’s P2P. After all, the President is basically telling us that it’s alright to steal copyrighted material by creating the Olympics political ad it did. So if it’s alright for the Pres, it must be alright for us citizens. smile

Posted by Dave on August 23, 2004 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

pfft.

I could care less what they want to “implement” into their software to go to itunes or a ipod.

Hold shift as you insert the CD into a drive, and it disables the copy protection.

Thanks for the update though Macrovision.

We’ll make sure we’re always 3 steps ahead of you when you tell the consumers about your plans.

Posted by ajservo on August 23, 2004 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

I found a solution to this long ago.

I just shut off autoplay and use CDex (open source) to rip..

Posted by RegalBegal on August 23, 2004 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

Or just use a Linux box…  Even when I buy from iTunes on my iMac the first thing I do is burn a CD and then rip it into my media library on my Linux box.  From there it’s just a DRM-free MP3. I then use that file in my iPod (sync only with Linux), home theater PC, etc…

I don’t need my digital rights managed, thank you very much.

Posted by m.sherman on August 23, 2004 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

I suppose I should have burned CD’s of my purchased iTMS songs then re-ripped them. Now however, that could be a time costly venture. I have well over 1500 tracks that I have purchased. That would take a while.

Posted by Dave on August 23, 2004 at 12:48 PM (PDT)

I haven’t had any problems with copy protected cds on my mac, though I did have trouble ripping Wilcos’s “A Ghost Is Born”. Holding shift kept it from loading the imbedded .exe, but I still couldn’t get Windows iTunes to see it. Oh well. We’ll be done talking about cds in 5 years or so anyway.

Posted by Charles on August 23, 2004 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

People still buy Cds??? @#$%&#  Why?

Posted by Roosevelt Jr. on August 23, 2004 at 6:33 PM (PDT)

Nobody is going to shove a music bearing disc down my throat where I cannot decide how I use it. I rip my stuff to AL. Period. And I will not buy anything that is not CDDA.

Posted by Oliver :) on August 23, 2004 at 10:40 PM (PDT)

Actually, many copy-protected CD’s are watermarked—holding down shift doesn’t do anything.  That’s how most promo cd’s are being sent out these days, keeping them from being ripped.  Which, of course is a bummer if you’re like me and have access to cd’s a few weeks before they come out and you can’t listen to them on your iPod.  *sigh*

Posted by Kevin on August 24, 2004 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

“People still buy Cds??? @#$%&# Why?”

A very simple reason. So they can rip the music to MP3 and play the song *ANYWHERE*. It’s just that simple.

Posted by Dave on August 24, 2004 at 12:54 PM (PDT)

All Copy protected CD’s i have worked fine on my PC and i could rip them to any of the music playing programs on my pc.

Posted by Ade on August 24, 2004 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

I bought a cd from EMI and I tried everything to rip it. Holding the shift key when loading it had no effect. Eventually, I took it back to the record shop I bought it at and they very kindly let me exchange it for another. I complained to their quality control people. Don’t buy EMI CD’s!

Posted by edmo on August 25, 2004 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

No amount of copy-right protection can stop you if you really want to rip a CD.  But yes, its pointless to talk much about it, I agree.  But not because we’ll be done with cd’s in a few years. The reason is that as soon as a new copy protection device comes along, so does a way to break that protection.

Posted by toonz on September 20, 2004 at 10:59 PM (PDT)

This is just ridiculous. Just bought the new Coldplay Album.
I can’t hear it
-> in my car
-> on my old discman
-> not even on my ipod.
If I was some kind of a computer nerd and if I had time to waste, that wouldn’t bother me. But why the hell can’t I buy my CD and just ####### listen to it?

Posted by Steven on July 4, 2005 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Bought Coldplay CD and couldn’t get iTunes to recognise it.  As others have already said, once the player is loaded, pressing the Shift key when loading the CD no longer works.  I thought I was stuffed.

My iPod links with my laptop.  However my wife’s iPod links with our home PC.  I loaded the Coldplay CD into the home PC, holding the Shift key.  iTunes recognised the CD and worked as normal.  I then copied the .m4a files to a USB flash drive and copied it back to my laptop.  Then need to import to the iTunes playlist and add tracks to any other playlist as normal.

Hope this helps!  I’ve calmed down now but will be more careful in future if I buy a copy protected CD.

Posted by David on August 5, 2005 at 3:46 AM (PDT)