iPod touch $10 update fee: one-time, multiple devices | iLounge News

iPod touch $10 update fee: one-time, multiple devices

iLounge has confirmed that the purchase of the iPhone OS 3.0 software update for the second-generation iPod touch enables the same user to update the first-generation iPod touch as well. Prior to performing any iPod touch update, iTunes 8.2 requires the user to click through to the iTunes Store, authorize a $9.95 payment to Apple, and accept new iTunes licensing terms. iTunes then downloads the iPod Software Update for iPod touch, which is specific to the first- or second-generation devices. Upon connecting a second, different-generation iPod touch, there is no additional charge to update that device’s software to version 3.0. However, another software download from the iTunes server will be performed to retrieve the separate version of the software that runs on the different device.

« AT&T offers $199, $299 3GS pricing to some iPhone 3G owners

Apple Stores now open 7am on Friday iPhone 3GS launch »

Comments

Have you heard anything about purchasing the update from iTunes Store on other countries? I’m trying to do it from my iTunes Store in Venezuela and I always get the same message stating that this update is not available for my country.

I thought it was the same for everyone.

Cheers!

Posted by Juan Gonzalez on June 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM (PDT)

I just pressed the update button for my iPod touch and it downloaded the 3.0 update straight off with no asking for money

Posted by Rich on June 17, 2009 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

If you have a first-gen iPod touch that’s never been updated, (no 2.0), can you still purchase 3.0 for $9.95?  My little bro would like to do the update, but it would suck to have to buy 2.0 then 3.0…

Posted by Sean on June 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

No, you don’t have to pay for 2.0 and then 3.0.

3.0 includes all of the enhancements included in version 2.0.

Posted by Jorge on June 17, 2009 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

Just to clarify:
When you buy a copy of 3.0, you also get all of the features of 2.0 (Apps) and 1.1.3 (Mail) included in the package, for only $10 (a bargain considering 1.1.3 was $20 when it came out).

Posted by oboewan on June 17, 2009 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

Awesome, thanks guys!!!!!

Posted by Sean on June 17, 2009 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

@ Rich: Me too, I just clicked Restore and 3.0 has just downloaded. Why is that?

Posted by Bengt on June 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM (PDT)

I have 2 1st gen Ipod touches in my family- can I update them both for one fee? (1 is my sons)

Posted by Rosario on June 17, 2009 at 5:13 PM (PDT)

What happens if I have two 2nd generation iPod’s, do I have to pay for the update twice ?

Posted by Sh0k on June 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

Some people on Twitter were saying they were getting their iPods updated without being charged. Shortly after that people were.

Interestingly enough, Apple has a free download of the iPod touch 3.0 restore image available on their servers that people also were using to upgrade. You have to restore and reinstall apps and info, but people were saying it worked as a free upgrade. I just checked and that file is still there. Having paid $10 myself I’m a little ticked about that..

Posted by Ned Scott on June 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM (PDT)

So, do they charge $9.95 again for users with ipod touch (1st gen) who already paid and updated to 2.0 to again update to 3.0?

Posted by CC on June 18, 2009 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

11: yes.

Posted by Ned Scott on June 18, 2009 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

I can’t pay for this update with money that’s already on my account, right?

Posted by NinjaGrifon on June 18, 2009 at 11:44 PM (PDT)

It’s true that if you update your iPod Touch you could lose your music and more?.

Posted by Cety on June 24, 2009 at 2:24 PM (PDT)

Yes, you can update more than one ipod touch second generation with one $9.95 purchase (I just did it). And no, your music, etc should not be erased when you update to the new software.

Posted by Shizuru on July 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM (PDT)

I finally got the money to get the update but for some reason my itunes wont recognize my iPod touch, which is a 1st generation. Also I just got internet at my house and iTunes Store wont connect to it, but my internet works just fine. Can someone e-mail me with advise please ... Use the subject “help for iPod problems” it’s hard to tell junk mail when i dont know the sender.

Posted by Tabi Welch on November 8, 2009 at 9:03 PM (PDT)

I have a first generation ipod touch and the blue APPS icon is missing on my ipod. I want to update to 2.0 (which i believe is a paid update).  How can I do the paid update? I have itunes 10.0 and my ipod touch has 1.1.5 (latest free versions available). When I connect my ipod touch, it doesn’t give me an option to buy the 2.0 update.  Neither can I find it in itunes/ apple support.  Please advise.

Posted by Dallas Jockey on September 10, 2010 at 3:49 AM (PDT)