iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures | iLounge News

iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures

image

A number of both first- and second-generation iPod touch users are reporting Wi-Fi irregularities after installing iPhone OS 3.0. No less than four separate threads on Apple’s Discussion boards mention Wi-Fi problems, the most common of which seems to be the iPod touch failing to reconnect to the most recent network after going to sleep, forcing the user to manually reconnect each time. Some users have reported that resetting the network settings fixes the problem; others report that this fails to solve the issue. One iLounge editor has experienced problems on first- and second-generation iPod touches, with a reset of network settings working on the iPod touch 2G, and the same thing on the iPod touch 1G resulting in the device failing to sense its own Wi-Fi chip, displaying a “No Wi-Fi” message afterwards. Other users have reported more mild problems, such as reduced Wi-Fi signal, or difficulty in getting their devices to reconnect following installation.

« iPhone 3.0 App Updates: MLB, Smule, ngmoco, more

Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking »

Comments

Just tried it with my 2G touch running 3.0 - no problems here! Guess I must be lucky!

Posted by NFreak007 on June 18, 2009 at 10:58 AM (CDT)

I have this same problem with 3.0, but with my iPhone 3G. Wi-Fi sensitivity is waaay down!

Maybe they overlooked this in Quality Assurance, but in any case, they have to fix this, FAST!

Posted by Jorge on June 18, 2009 at 11:09 AM (CDT)

My first gen touch experiences reduced wi-fi signal with OS 3.0.

Posted by Robert Sachs on June 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM (CDT)

Ipod touch (no speaker) works great with the new Airport Extreme.
UNTIL
Just installed 3.0, wifi falls over randomly very frequently to the point where it is unusable.
How could they get this out without testing, there is no excuse, I have all apple gear.

Posted by dermot on June 18, 2009 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

Same issue here. My 2G iPhone has little to no WiFi now. Was perfect under 2.2.1

My 3G iPhone is fine though!

Posted by Scott Karlins on June 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM (CDT)

I have a 2g and haven’t had any problems yet..

Posted by Micah Benke on June 18, 2009 at 12:15 PM (CDT)

Lots of Wi-Fi problems on my 2G touch. Even Putting the touch directly on the router, right next to the antenna, doesn’t improve the signal.

Before 3.0 there was nowhere in my (small) house that didn’t have full signal. Now, sitting on the router doesn’t even help.

Posted by Dayna on June 18, 2009 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

This is why I never install new versions of iTunes or software updates right away - nor will I buy a new iPod model I want until it has been on the market for at least 3-4 months.  There are ALWAYS problems with new releases….glad I’ve waited to update the software.

Posted by TechnoGeek on June 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM (CDT)

WiFI at home on my 3G and my wife’s original iPhone has gotton worse after the 3.0 update.  In both cases it doesn’t auto-connect any more after sleep - but asks for confirmation.

Posted by Charles Verrier on June 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM (CDT)

Zero problems with my first-gen touch…signal reception is just as strong as ever on my home wi-fi connection. In fact, it seems a little snappier than before. Auto-connect works beautifully, even with my non-ID-broadcasting router. *shrug*

Posted by Daniel S. on June 18, 2009 at 1:17 PM (CDT)

No wi-fi issues, but 3.0 on my 2G Touch seems to have (a) broken Live Updating of Smart Playlists, and (b) made the Touch incompatible with factory Honda iPod integration (iPod plays, but cannot select Playlists, Artists, etc.)  Looks like I’m going back to 2.1 ...

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on June 18, 2009 at 1:36 PM (CDT)

I’m having the same issues with my 1G iPod touch - it appears to connect but cannot access the internet.  I perused the threads on Apple’s discussion forums and found it interesting that I received a “page not found” when trying to read some of the forum posts dealing with this.

Posted by Chris on June 18, 2009 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

I’m having this on my iphone 3g.  Will not automatically sense my home network anymore and then keeps dropping it after 5 minutes every time i reconnect manually.  What a nightmare.

Posted by Brett on June 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

I have iPhone 3G.  My phone has lost both Wi-Fi and bluetooth…

Posted by CL on June 18, 2009 at 3:17 PM (CDT)

I’ve been having this issue on my 2g itouch for a while now and I thought it was just bad luck. I’m glad and sad to see that this is a known issue but hopefully it means apple will create a fix for it. Maybe around the same time they patch 8.2 so I don’t have to kill my network connections before I connect my itouch.

Posted by Tarran on June 18, 2009 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

I have had problems with the bluetooth. It has a hard time connecting. As for the wi-fi, I haven’t had the drop problem. I have had a problem where the Internet is very slow. 255 kbs. Usually it’s like 2 Mbs

Posted by Josh on June 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM (CDT)

I had the same problems with Wi-Fi - I’d have to manually reconnect every time after sleep mode.  After powering down my iPhone and restarting, however, it works fine now.

Posted by TommyT on June 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM (CDT)

Well I notice that when I use any bluetooth feature while connected to WiFi I start having problems. My wife has an ipod touch, and we tried to play one of the bluetooth games together, next thing you know my wireless router rebooted. I was playing around with some Jaybird Bluetooth wireless Headsets, and would’nt you know it… My router rebooted again. Maybe I am having router problems but two times is a coinky dink to me. When the wireless is turned off on both the ipod and the iphone it is a much smoother experience.

Posted by gmann21133 on June 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM (CDT)

Mine is no difference. Wi-Fi was working sort of fine before 2.2.1, at least it detected Wi-Fi 1 out of 20 tries. Problem connecting to Wi-Fi is seen after updating to 2.2.1 and then last night I updated to 3.0 and no different. Still cannot connect to Wi-Fi. Feels cheated. I think something wrong with some of the iPhone chips.

Posted by Enzyme on June 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

Also I have problems with Wi-Fi on my 2G ipod touch and OS 3.0. The speed is very slow and it´s impossible to use the Wi-Fi.

I downgrade to firmware 2.2.1 and now the Wi-Fi works perfect. I hope Apple fix the problem soon.

Posted by Pepe on June 18, 2009 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 8 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›