iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures | iLounge News

iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 18, 2009
News Categories: iPod

image

A number of both first- and second-generation iPod touch users are reporting Wi-Fi irregularities after installing iPhone OS 3.0. No less than four separate threads on Apple’s Discussion boards mention Wi-Fi problems, the most common of which seems to be the iPod touch failing to reconnect to the most recent network after going to sleep, forcing the user to manually reconnect each time. Some users have reported that resetting the network settings fixes the problem; others report that this fails to solve the issue. One iLounge editor has experienced problems on first- and second-generation iPod touches, with a reset of network settings working on the iPod touch 2G, and the same thing on the iPod touch 1G resulting in the device failing to sense its own Wi-Fi chip, displaying a “No Wi-Fi” message afterwards. Other users have reported more mild problems, such as reduced Wi-Fi signal, or difficulty in getting their devices to reconnect following installation.

« iPhone 3.0 App Updates: MLB, Smule, ngmoco, more

Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking »

Comments

the first thing i’m no good for english but i just want to help anyone.
please try to do follow my step may be work for u
1.1reset network
1.2turn off wifi
2.full charge battery
3.try to connect wifi
4.if iphone can connected
5.turn off the iphone
6.turn on again the wifi ave full signal

i hope my post can help anyone

Posted by ่jelesy on January 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

Hey, upgraded to the new software, and now I keep getting the “invalid argument” and my internet will just show a loading screen. I tried resetting network connections, restoring my settings on itunes, restarting the ipod, forgetting the network…everything. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with the ip adderss listed on your network settings? That if it starts with a 169. or something. Because thats what is shows for me, and thats definitely not what my ip address starts with. Any other suggestions?

Posted by Jen on March 28, 2010 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

this fixed my problem thank you smile

Posted by Luigi Vodika on May 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

I upgraded my second gen. ipod touch with the latest and often the bars will show full, but there is no connection when i open safari, itunes, the app store or any other internet using app. The network reset didn’t work either, so i was wondering if anyone could help.

Posted by Dominick Gilbert on May 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM (PDT)

i am experiencing the same thing in the image above, my ipod touch 2G says “no wi-fi” and i don’t know hot to fix it.
please let me know if someone knows how to fix this problem… thanks.

Posted by david on June 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

Really? Is Apple serious? I paid over $300 for my iPod Touch about 4 months ago. I cannot believe a company such as themselves markets such a weak product. I have had nothing but problems with my battery life AND the stupid WiFi connection. My router is RIGHT next to me and I can’t access anything on this ipod. How is it that they are a multi-billion dollar company with crap like this being sold to customers? Do they have people that test these key items? Or is it just that they are so consumed with mass production that the validity of the product goes out the window. It’s very offensive and I’m so angry that I threw away almost $400.00 for this crap product. Almost every application I use requires the internet. And I can’t even go down the street to a local business to connect. I can’t connect ANYWHERE. I’m way beyond sick of Apple and will NEVER recommend their products to anyone I know. I know many people that feel the same. They need to be boycotted until they resolve these known issues. And instead of worrying about sales, they need to worry about customer retention and making their existing customers satisfied with the product they’ve already purchased.

Posted by iBitter on June 13, 2010 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

Have an ipod 2nd generation. Definitely the software and not the device itself. Ever since the upgrade to 3.0 something has gone horribly wrong with the wifi detection. Before i upgraded wifi pickup was the best of any device i ever owned, was even picking up more signals than my Toshiba laptop. Since then, nothing but issues with weak signals, even when i’m right next to the router. Apple is screwing up a good product with f-upped software. Maybe this is working better for people who are using Macs, that’s what i always hear from my Mac friends.

Posted by LeeMajella on July 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

I have a 16gb 1g Ipod Touch, soon after upgrading to one of the newer versions of the software, it no longer connects or shows any networks, however my laptop and blackberry will pick up over 8 different wifi’s that I am able to connect to. My ipod touch 1g will not detect any of these, it will also not let me manually connect. I have tried downgrading to the last recent working version and that did not fix the problem. It would be nice to find more information on this. My Ipod has never been jailbroken and I would like to get some sort of fix for this mess. Without wifi, the ipod touch is somewhat worthless without being able to use the apps which require an internet connection.

Posted by Sean Moriarty on August 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM (PDT)

I have a similar problem with my 16g 2G. If I am near the comp, the wifi works fine. If I go upstairs with it, it will work for about 5 minutes, then there is no connection. I installed wififofum and sometimes it recognizes signal upstairs and sometimes not and shows as not connected. I have tried resetting network connections, emptied cache and cookies too, but it makes no difference.
Anyone have any other suggestions????

Posted by Linda Williams on September 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

i have a 2 genertation ipod touch. and can not connect to the internet, i used to have great internet connection but now i have to be right next to my router to pick up the single and still even then its a crappy connection. my brother has the same ipod but his works fine?
any ideas on whats wrong!

Posted by troy on September 18, 2010 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

I don’t know why, but when I had a greyed out wifi, I turned on Genius and it worked.

Posted by ewoody0305 on October 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM (PDT)

The same here , mi ipod touch 2g 32Gb has a very low wi-fi signal even in front of the router , my friend have a 1g an it works perfectly even though he found the ipod in a garbage can (lucky son of a gun) i love my ipod an the warranty already expire what can we do ? i see a lot of comments but no solutions, im from Puerto Rico so i think the problem is with the unit , please reply soon or my wife will kill me after i spend $400 on it

Posted by Javier on December 4, 2010 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

My 1 g iPod got good wyfi at home and my new 3G is about a 1000feet short of the signal from my Sourse why are the 3G weeker

Posted by Glenn on December 10, 2010 at 5:40 PM (PDT)

And it still does this with 4.0! I am so annoyed! And I’m NOT buying a new one Apple, screw you and your proprietary garbage! You got through hell to support friggin Windows XP but won’t support your own hardware! Merry fricking Christmas to you too ya jerks!

Posted by Marcus on December 15, 2010 at 7:08 AM (PDT)

Try my solution: open your iPod network setting, and select WiFi.  copy all the IP address setting from DHCP to Static, and stay in Static.  This way, you ipod won’t reset your Wifi IP address every few minutes.
So far, my Ipod (OS 4.0) has stay connected.

Posted by Quin on January 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM (PDT)

i do it.
its duzent work

Posted by tayyip on August 4, 2011 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Page 8 of 8 pages « First  <  6 7 8