iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures | iLounge News

iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, June 18, 2009
News Categories: iPod

image

A number of both first- and second-generation iPod touch users are reporting Wi-Fi irregularities after installing iPhone OS 3.0. No less than four separate threads on Apple’s Discussion boards mention Wi-Fi problems, the most common of which seems to be the iPod touch failing to reconnect to the most recent network after going to sleep, forcing the user to manually reconnect each time. Some users have reported that resetting the network settings fixes the problem; others report that this fails to solve the issue. One iLounge editor has experienced problems on first- and second-generation iPod touches, with a reset of network settings working on the iPod touch 2G, and the same thing on the iPod touch 1G resulting in the device failing to sense its own Wi-Fi chip, displaying a “No Wi-Fi” message afterwards. Other users have reported more mild problems, such as reduced Wi-Fi signal, or difficulty in getting their devices to reconnect following installation.

« iPhone 3.0 App Updates: MLB, Smule, ngmoco, more

Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking »

Comments

its charging me 5.99 yet it for free, its a bit pathetic

Posted by matty.l on June 18, 2009 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

Upgraded to 3.0, now I cannot connect to a WIFI network.  iPhone cannot detect hotel wifi at all even though my MACbook can detect about 20 wifi networks.

Should have known better not to upgrade while I’m overseas.  Figured that I’m in London with lots of other iPhone users.  Wrong, without WIFI support, I’m stuck to paying lots of money for AT&T for overseas data services.  Maybe this is by design?

Posted by TN on June 18, 2009 at 7:01 PM (PDT)

I updated to OS 3.0 on my 2G touch today and my wi fi access practically quit on me. With luck, I;ve received e-mail once or twice and forget weather updates, maybe just two the whole day. Access to Safari went down to zilch. I reset network to factory setting and went back to my wi fi at home and that didn’t work. I am at a loss!

Posted by Arturo on June 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

Hi,

I have a 2G iPod Touch, and just downloaced 3.0 tonight.  I am reverting back to .2.21 as I no longer have any WIFI.

Steve

Posted by Steve on June 18, 2009 at 8:17 PM (PDT)

second gen iPod touch here, I had problems until I selected my network, told it to forget the network, then re-added it with password, etc. Now it works flawlessly.

Posted by Ned Scott on June 18, 2009 at 9:24 PM (PDT)

For me on Ipod touch 2G WIFI picks up way more!

Than prev version, only doesnt connect well when, u want to join it.

Posted by wamnt on June 18, 2009 at 10:20 PM (PDT)

After downloading 3.0 on my 2g Iphone , WiFi is now grayed out and says no WiFi. I have no way of changing any setting regarding WiFi. Reset network setting and still grayed out. Hope they fix it soon. with the lack of Att coverage and now no WiFi my Iphone might as well just be a ipod touch.

Posted by Ele on June 18, 2009 at 11:16 PM (PDT)

Yep, some problem here , after I updated to OS3 I’m not able to connect to my home wifi anymore. The WiFI indicator appear on the screen for few seconds and then disappears again.
This is a really flop APPLE , has to be fixed ASAP .
Basically WiFi is the main thing I use with my iPod touch 2G

Posted by PoggioZ on June 18, 2009 at 11:47 PM (PDT)

Wi-Fi, ect. is working fine with the 3.0 on both my G1 and G2 Touches, but I have lost the ability to use my dock connector video cables and my dock extender cables.  The dock extender will still work with the G1 Touch but G2 says charging is not supported, and audio is not precent.  The AV cables get the “not supported by this iPod” error.  Anyone else try these?

Posted by CHJ on June 19, 2009 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

I have the exact same problem as Brett (poat #13). My iphone 3G connects fine to my home wifi when I manually connect but keeps dropping it and reverting to cellular 3G.  Really really annoying.

Posted by gombeen on June 19, 2009 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

wifi probs on my Touch 2G running 3.0 - reduced signal, dropped wifi after sleep.  No probs on OS 2.2.1.  Maybe I should downgrade too.

Posted by smitty on June 19, 2009 at 7:52 AM (PDT)

Have exactly the same problem. The touch is now unusable for anything on the internet. I watch a lot of Youtube videos on it and went back to some favorites yesterday to note the difference. Basically they are unwatchable now. I left the IPOD loading one of 3MB and it took over 20 minutes. This same video before was dispatched in real time and loaded as I was watching it. The same happens with normal WebPages. After paying apple for this upgrade I feel totally deceived. I have lost my speedy iPod touch and cannot use it for what I like best until they solve this. It’s pretty astounding that a company such as apple would release this upgrade and this happen to everyone with a version 2G. Wish I had not upgraded as it was working perfect yesterday!

Posted by Steve on June 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

I’m jumping in here too - my month old touch was awesome with wireless until I just upgraded to 3.0 - now my once 100% office wi-fi connection is unavailable while my laptop and other devices are still completely fine.

I can say with certainty that the upgraded hosed the wi-fi on my touch.  I’m about to head over to Panera and will try to connect to their wi-fi which as been trouble free since I got the touch.  I’ll post my results later.

Posted by Greg B on June 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

Having the same WIFI connectivity problem with my 2G Touch after installing 3.0. Pepe—what is the best way to downgrade backto 2.2.1 while they fix this (hopefully).  This is really astounding that this was not aggressively QC’d.  Also annoying that I had to pay $10 for the privelege.  Really feels like you are being nickeled and dimed.

Posted by Dave on June 19, 2009 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

I performed the wireless reset as described above and headed out the door.  Immediately at Panera the AP was detected and I connected.  It actually seemed faster.

When I returned to the office I re-entered my WEP key and connected to our wi-fi with no trouble. It seems to be back to normal.

The resetting absolutely fixed my issues and glitches.

Posted by Greg B on June 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

Ipod touch 2G with same issue after OS 3.0.  Reset network settings worked!
Many thx

Posted by Mark on June 19, 2009 at 10:51 AM (PDT)

same problem… i have upgrader my ipod 2G with the OS3, the wifi sugnal is now weak, and the bluetooth is a mascarade, only ther fote to be used with the stereo headset.impossible to send or recieve files with blutooth, it ‘s sad

Posted by joel on June 19, 2009 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

I can only agree: my iPod Touch refuses to connect to my WiFi modem after the firmware 3.0 upgrade. With firmware 2.2.1 I had no issues what so ever.

Tried all tricks mentioned on several websites, but without success.

Shame on Apple to release such a hyped firmware update with very obvious flaws!!

Posted by Rene on June 19, 2009 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I’m having a serious problem getting Apple’s Weather program to connect to the Internet. Just keeps saying “Updating…” but other Internet programs over Wi-Fi seem to be working okay.

Plus my first post-3.0-update backup took somewhere between 12 and 21 hours (I wasn’t watching when it finished), probably 16. Sheesh!

Posted by John on June 19, 2009 at 2:35 PM (PDT)

P.S. Same problem with Apple’s Stocks program.

Posted by John on June 19, 2009 at 2:42 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 8 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »