iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures | iLounge News

iPod touch 1G, 2G users: 3.0 Wi-Fi drops, failures

image

A number of both first- and second-generation iPod touch users are reporting Wi-Fi irregularities after installing iPhone OS 3.0. No less than four separate threads on Apple’s Discussion boards mention Wi-Fi problems, the most common of which seems to be the iPod touch failing to reconnect to the most recent network after going to sleep, forcing the user to manually reconnect each time. Some users have reported that resetting the network settings fixes the problem; others report that this fails to solve the issue. One iLounge editor has experienced problems on first- and second-generation iPod touches, with a reset of network settings working on the iPod touch 2G, and the same thing on the iPod touch 1G resulting in the device failing to sense its own Wi-Fi chip, displaying a “No Wi-Fi” message afterwards. Other users have reported more mild problems, such as reduced Wi-Fi signal, or difficulty in getting their devices to reconnect following installation.

« iPhone 3.0 App Updates: MLB, Smule, ngmoco, more

Some iPhone users report 3.0 upgrade bricking »

Comments

WiFi issues galore here. Was working then all of a sudden wouldn’t find my home network. All it shows is 3G even after setting a static IP, turning wi-fi off then on etc etc. Please FIX the problem!!!!

Posted by ozetek on June 19, 2009 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

MAJOR regrets installing ver. 3.0 update—and paid for it, no less.  No WiFi at all now.  Install process wiped out everything on my iPod.  Apple:  The new Microsoft.  Great.

Posted by ewesyerbrane on June 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM (PDT)

P.P.S. Now it seems to be working just fine. Go figure.

Posted by John on June 20, 2009 at 4:59 AM (PDT)

OS 3.0, so far, for me, has been incredibly good in the wi-fi department.  It fixed the intermittent connections, drop offs, and lost connections I had been having.

Web pages also seem to load faster.

Now, there are some other issues where Safari insists on refreshing a web page when you move from page (card) view back to a given page (a new, irritating behavior) and occasional freezes of the screen until it gets going again.

Posted by astroman33 on June 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

Also experiencing wifi problems with 2G iPod Touch after upgrading to 3.0:  cannot detect networks that were present before, and where present cannot join them. Also can’t downgrade! Need a fix soon!

Posted by Jesse on June 20, 2009 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Well I notice that when I use any bluetooth feature continue to drop, it does not connect.
I have a 2G 32G Ipod Touch and I got the update 3.00.
Need help :(

Posted by Maribel Carrion on June 20, 2009 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

Same problems with wifi and upgrade IPod Touch 2G to OS 3.0, trying all things but nothings work :(

I hope Apple fix the problem soon!!!

I found many people in other forums, blogs, etc with same wifi problems.

Posted by YoMismo on June 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Just upgraded to 3.0 - now no wifi. It sees the network but doesn’t connect to internet. I have reset network connections, reinstalled system etc - but no help.

Posted by Johnson on June 20, 2009 at 10:22 AM (PDT)

Basic troubleshooting:
Power cycle the router, reset the device, THEN look for other causes.

Posted by Sadn3ss on June 20, 2009 at 11:01 AM (PDT)

I wrote yesterday and have now searched all “supposed” solutions and carried them out in various orders. Basically, there is no solution. Upgrading to 3.0 is equivalent to calling your internet provider and requesting the 512K connection you had 10 years ago. You can still serach the net, watch youtube but it takes ages like it did in 1999. Well done apple….

Anyone know how I can downgrade and remove the upgrade?

Posted by Steve on June 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

After installing 3.0 on my ipod touch 2nd gen.  my wifi signal has dropped dramatically. I always have to reconnect and it drops out all the time. Before I always had full signal strength at my house. I hope they fix this issue soon, something is definately wrong.

Posted by travis smith on June 20, 2009 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

I have a 2G ipod Touch and like the others wifi with 2.21 was great and 3.0 reduced reception and speed considerably. Places I went to before had no problem and now barely or none. Frustrating.

Posted by Drew McEachern on June 20, 2009 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

I have tried to troubleshoot these problem numerous times and have a long list of the issues. The WiFI protocol stack on my Touch 2nd Gen has been the WORST and BUGGIEST product I’ve ever dealt with (with 2.2.1 and 3.0), and should be a shame to Apple. I have access to my access point and firewall’s debug logs, and the ipod is flat failing in numerous areas—too numerous to list here. They need to actually test this thing on more than one internet router before releasing it!

Posted by Daveytm on June 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

my wifi has dropped even when im a foot away from mi wifi antena. bluetooth doesnt work either. when will apple fix this problem.

Posted by 1234 on June 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM (PDT)

the wifi signal is just as strong after i updated it to 3.0, but it wont connect to any websites, it will load for like 2 minutes, then say server has stopped responding, and nothing works

Posted by Chris on June 20, 2009 at 10:57 PM (PDT)

I want to thank iLounge for allowing these ipod wifi posts and it’s obvious that there is a legitimate problem. I hope iLounge has the ability to forward these posts to Apple. Thanks again.

Posted by Drew McEachern on June 21, 2009 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

WiFi was working just fine in home with 2.0 on my 2nd Gen iTouch. Just upgraded to 3.0 and WiFi drops out. Having difficulty maintaining a good connection, even a couple feet from my router.

Posted by pm on June 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM (PDT)

2nd gen touch. Wifi used to be 2.8 mbs Great. After upgrading to 3.0, 215 kbs. =o I want 2.2.1 back until it’s fixed.

Posted by Josh on June 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM (PDT)

Same problem with connecting to wifi network. And just as worryingly, connecting to the stereo in my car now results in my iPod Touch (1st Gen) going into a kind of loop, the screen flashing on and off repeatedly until I disconnect and reboot. If Apple has put out a fault OS, which it seems to have done, they should sort it out immediately. As it stands, and given the lousy new features, at least for us iPod Touch users, I wish I’d stay with the previous OS. I’ll certainly Think (twice about) Apple again.

Posted by PB on June 21, 2009 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

I started having problems last week and reported that the ‘reset’ worked.  Well - It only worked for that day.  Now I can’t connect again and apps, including mail just keep on spinning eventually timing out.  There is definately something very wrong with this 3.0 ‘upgrade’. Don’t do it!

Posted by Greg B on June 22, 2009 at 5:40 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 8 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »