iPod touch blamed for fire in OH lawsuit | iLounge News

iPod touch blamed for fire in OH lawsuit

A Cincinnati, OH mother is suing Apple and 10 unnamed employees from the Apple retail store in Kenwood Towne Centre claiming that her son’s iPod touch caught fire in his pants pocket. According to Ars Technica, the suit claims that the device was off when it made a popping noise and the boy noticed a burning sensation, only to stand up and discover his pants were on fire. The child was found to have second-degree burns from the incident. “He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” the lawsuit claims. Apple and its 10 employees are accused of gross negligence and recklessness; the suit is requesting compensatory damages totaling more than $75,000, as well as punitive damages of more than $75,000, and attorney fees.

« New York Times releases official crossword app

Hollington debuts book, iPod & iTunes Portable Genius »

Comments

right… ipods just sudenly combust in pants pockets….

btw Ars Technica is investigating a pants fire?lolz

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM (CDT)

Even if the story is true, why would this woman sue Apple Store employees who have nothing to do with product design or manufacturing? Suing a corporation is one thing, but suing retail store employees for something they clearly had nothing to do with is just wrong.

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 12:12 PM (CDT)

As long as the employees were on the clock, I don’t see them being in any kind of financial trouble.  I question how 10 employees could possibly be involved with the sale of a single Shuffle.

I smell a hysterical mother wanting revenge for the harm done to her “baby”.

A short circuit from a laptop battery I could see causing a fire.  But what is the size of Shuffle’s battery, and what abuse must in endure to cause any kind of obvious reaction?

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

I could see short because a coin touched the connectors just right?

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM (CDT)

The boy is clearly a liar.  His pants being on fire are a clear indication of such.

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 3:22 PM (CDT)

picture? video? anything??

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM (CDT)

““He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” the lawsuit claims.”

It will? Maybe in a few months he will have forgotten all about it.

I fell off my bike and cracked my head on the kerb when I was 6 or 7. Maybe I should sue the bike maker for 45 years of mental and emotional distress.

I also got blown up when working on a gas central heating system - darn, I could have sued my employer for the facial burns and the years of ‘otherwise’ I have suffered….

Posted by Charles Starrett on March 17, 2009 at 10:37 AM (CDT)