iPod touch blamed for fire in OH lawsuit | iLounge News

2014 iPad iPhone iPod Buyers' Guide from iLounge.com

News

iPod touch blamed for fire in OH lawsuit

Author's pic

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, March 16, 2009
News Categories: iPod

A Cincinnati, OH mother is suing Apple and 10 unnamed employees from the Apple retail store in Kenwood Towne Centre claiming that her son’s iPod touch caught fire in his pants pocket. According to Ars Technica, the suit claims that the device was off when it made a popping noise and the boy noticed a burning sensation, only to stand up and discover his pants were on fire. The child was found to have second-degree burns from the incident. “He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” the lawsuit claims. Apple and its 10 employees are accused of gross negligence and recklessness; the suit is requesting compensatory damages totaling more than $75,000, as well as punitive damages of more than $75,000, and attorney fees.

« New York Times releases official crossword app

Hollington debuts book, iPod & iTunes Portable Genius »

Related Stories

Comments

1

right… ipods just sudenly combust in pants pockets….

btw Ars Technica is investigating a pants fire?lolz

Posted by mistermark on March 16, 2009 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

2

Even if the story is true, why would this woman sue Apple Store employees who have nothing to do with product design or manufacturing? Suing a corporation is one thing, but suing retail store employees for something they clearly had nothing to do with is just wrong.

Posted by Leopold Bloom on March 16, 2009 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

3

As long as the employees were on the clock, I don’t see them being in any kind of financial trouble.  I question how 10 employees could possibly be involved with the sale of a single Shuffle.

I smell a hysterical mother wanting revenge for the harm done to her “baby”.

A short circuit from a laptop battery I could see causing a fire.  But what is the size of Shuffle’s battery, and what abuse must in endure to cause any kind of obvious reaction?

Posted by jwc110869 on March 16, 2009 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

4

I could see short because a coin touched the connectors just right?

Posted by J on March 16, 2009 at 10:21 AM (PDT)

5

The boy is clearly a liar.  His pants being on fire are a clear indication of such.

Posted by protobiont on March 16, 2009 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

6

picture? video? anything??

Posted by Stere0123 on March 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

7

““He continues to suffer from both physical and mental conditions which will cause him to suffer pain, mental distress, emotional distress, and otherwise for the rest of his life,” the lawsuit claims.”

It will? Maybe in a few months he will have forgotten all about it.

I fell off my bike and cracked my head on the kerb when I was 6 or 7. Maybe I should sue the bike maker for 45 years of mental and emotional distress.

I also got blown up when working on a gas central heating system - darn, I could have sued my employer for the facial burns and the years of ‘otherwise’ I have suffered….

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on March 17, 2009 at 7:37 AM (PDT)

If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.

Commenting is not available in this section entry.

Email:

Recent News

Recent Reviews

Recent Articles

Shop for Accessories: Cases, speakers, chargers, etc.