iPod touch ‘jailbreak’ apps released | iLounge News

iPod touch ‘jailbreak’ apps released

Two new applications provide a graphical user interface for “jailbreaking” the iPod touch. iJailBreak for Intel-based Mac systems and touchFree for Windows both allow iPod touch owners to “jailbreak” their units, paving the way for installation of a variety of third-party native applications, as well as hacks such as calendar editing and Apple-approved apps such as Mail and Maps. Apple does not support installation of third-party applications on the iPhone or iPod touch.

« $0.99 DRM-free tracks appear on iTunes [updated]

Firmware hack brings new interface to iPod 5G »

Comments

My understanding is that installing 3rd-party apps can void Apple’s warranty. Is performing a “jailbrake” considered such a violation? The reason I ask is that I will not buy an iPhone as long as I can’t use it on Verizon’s network. I have no desire to install non-Apple approved apps, but I would like to get an iPod touch, and hack it to add calendar editing and Mail. (why those aren’t included out of the box, I do not know.)

Posted by Jason on October 15, 2007 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

You will never be able to use the iPhone on Verizon because Verizon’s network is not GSM. You can “jailbreak” the iPhone and use it on Tmobile’s network as Tmobile IS a GSM network. Sorry!

Posted by smmoulder on October 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM (PDT)

What does this do for the iPod Touch specifically?

Posted by Matthew on October 15, 2007 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

It enables the iPod Touch to have all the same apps as the iPhone.  Email, Calendar Add, Install 3rd party apps, Stocks, Weather etc etc

Posted by David on October 15, 2007 at 12:23 PM (PDT)

Not that I have one, but why bother doing this to the iPod touch?  Wasn’t there a quote here recently from Steve Jobs himself that a future firmware update is coming for the touch to add the calendar editing function?

Posted by Peterphan on October 15, 2007 at 12:27 PM (PDT)

I am wondering what the third party apps are that will work on the ipod touch? And I am wondering how you would go about getting them into the ipod touch once it was jailbroken?

Posted by gear on October 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Um, yes, smmoulder, I am painfully aware that the iPhone is built for different technology than Verizon uses. That is why I’m considering an ipod touch. I am hopeful, however, that when AT&T’s exclusive contract runs out, Apple will bless those of us on other networks with a compatible iPhone. Until then, though, a slightly modded iPod Touch should fill in nicely

Posted by Jason on October 15, 2007 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

i have an itouch and i jailbroke mine and i am very pleased! i have many different apps on it ranging from solitaire to a python runtime with modules!

there are many jailbreaking tutorials out there but they all work!

it turns your itouch or iphone into a full pda with the ability to install 3rd pty apps! i love it

and if ur unsure about it, you can always re-install the original firmware. and because jailbreak is a software hack and not a hardware one, it doesn’t void the warranty, just as long as you restore the device before returning it.

Posted by Cris on December 16, 2007 at 1:40 AM (PDT)

Jailbreaking the ipod touch allows for so much. You can add awesome games(iphysics) and some emulators that really make the ipod touch significantly better.

Posted by brian on January 26, 2008 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

At Cris saying “there are many jailbreaking tutorials out there but they all work!”:

That is just not true at all. Most of them Don’t work. A common reason is that people making jailbreaking programs for the 8GB don’t realise that they don’t work on the 16 and 32GB iPods.

But, you don’t need to be too careful. It’s easy enough to reset the firmware to what you’re supposed to have, through iTunes. There might be the risk of loosing a purchased 1.1.3 firmware ($20)... but if you’ve bought your iPod with 1.1.3 pre-installed, it’ll reset to that firmware.

Posted by Mikael Grön on March 7, 2008 at 12:33 AM (PDT)

The ipod touch is really a peice of technology. I purchased the 8gb touch and I am really happy about it. I jailbroke it recently and I now have many applications.

Posted by Lauren McLaughlin on March 14, 2008 at 12:39 PM (PDT)

In the jail break apps are there any that allow you to view other web base videos other then you tubes? format.?

Posted by shane on June 26, 2008 at 11:18 PM (PDT)

ive been looking everywhere and i still havent found out if i could get free music as well if i jail break my ipod touch.
well, can i?

Posted by Jillianrastafar on January 25, 2009 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

what are the 3rd party apps? like i.e. or what? and can you watch video from non you tube sites?
please someone explain

Posted by Matt on February 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM (PDT)

This makes me angry that Apple is “Telling and Forcing” users of what apps they can install on the iphone. They keep everything pg-13. I think they need to revery on the mistake they did in the 80’s by not letting other companies make software,...IBM passed them up like they were the biggest losers. Today they are doing basically the same thing. I hope Apple goes out of business.

Posted by hACKSTER on May 4, 2009 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

The easiest way to jailbreak ANY iPod Touch/iPhone is to use blackra1n by Geohot. It works fine and I used it and was very happy with the results.

Posted by DudeintheNude on January 17, 2010 at 7:08 AM (PDT)