iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated] | iLounge News

iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated]

An image posted in our iPod touch First Look article and a subsequent edit by Apple of the iPod touch’s online information has led to widespread speculation that the company has intentionally removed features from the iPod touch’s applications. As seen in the photo below, the iPod touch’s Calendar application lacks the “Add” button found in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone’s Calendar application. This button is used to add new events to the Calendar.

Following the discovery of this omission by members of Apple’s discussion boards, Apple changed the text in the device’s Multi-touch feature description. It originally read, “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.” It now reads: “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts,” with the “entering calendar events” removed. Apple has yet to comment on the story.

Update: Apple has confirmed with Engadget that the iPod touch will not be able to create calendar events. “Like current iPods, the touch can only view calendar entries created on your computer,” Apple said.

« Six Apart announces TypePad for iPhone, iPod touch

New iPods = new iLounge forums »

Comments

That’s rather annoying ... I was hoping that when I got my iPod touch that I could use it to replace my PDA. It seems rather silly to allow folks to add contacts but not calendar events.

I can understand not including the camera for one reason or another, but to not allow this seems rather absurd.

It almost reminds me of when wireless companies disable features built into cell phones.

I’m not sure if this is a deal breaker for me, but it does make me pause a moment before considering buying one.

Posted by cxc273 on September 10, 2007 at 3:45 PM (CDT)

I was afraid they were going to cripple the iPod touch in this manner from the moment I realized that many of the iPhones apps were missing from its screen shots.  There’s no reason why the iPod touch can’t run Mail, Stocks, Google Maps and all the rest.  Hopefully this is just a misunderstanding but if not then I’m sure everyone will be looking to the hackers to get the Installer app working on the new iPod.

Posted by Cool Cat on September 10, 2007 at 3:48 PM (CDT)

Call me the optimistic but I think Apple knows this and will add these features. I will also put a hot $20 bill down there will be the ability to add a SIP stack and VoIP calls will be possible. Does this thing have BT hidden anywhere?

Posted by Don Trammell on September 10, 2007 at 4:07 PM (CDT)

Buy an iphone then. The touch is an mp3 player not a PDA

Posted by gmoney on September 10, 2007 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

I’ve cancelled my order. How arrogant to just exclude features. Is Apple becoming a big corporation?

Posted by wouwout on September 10, 2007 at 4:38 PM (CDT)

Yeah I’m very disapointed in reading this. I JUST bought my new ipod touch with the hopes that I’d be able to put in to-dos, etc. I would bet they will make this available later on, or someone will hack it.

Posted by Ryan on September 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM (CDT)

this is ilegal, isn´t it? when I bought one on 6th it was a cappability, and now??? i´ll call apple. this things makes apple going down as a big corporation

Posted by Juri on September 10, 2007 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

Well, this is typical apple.  Does anyone remember whe Job’s stated that PDA were a waste of time or somehting like that.  I think this is his way of tying to keep the touch more of a music player and less of a PDA.  It’s a shame because I already see simple interface goofs on the iphone and do my best to work around them, but stripping the functions out of apps is just wrong.  I’m glad to see that the touch doesn’t do anything the iphone doesn’t do except itunes - that’s coming though.

Posted by bmann on September 10, 2007 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

Wow the iPod touch has the same calendar features that a normal iPod has, imagine that!  You know, being its an iPod and all, not the iPDA Wifi.

Posted by B James on September 10, 2007 at 5:04 PM (CDT)

This is so dumb. Apple is fully able to keep this feature alive but they choose not do. I mean i love apple and their products but they dodged a huge nightmare with the $100 store-credit deal (which is really only like $40 beacause apple makes a HUGE profit off all of there products) but they might have another fan base screaming there heads off if they keep crippling the iTouch. YES its a music/video player but even crappy 6 year old cell phone have the edit calender option on them.

Posted by bhick on September 10, 2007 at 5:12 PM (CDT)

One quick comment:  the iPhone doesn’t support ToDo items either. Doesn’t even pick them up for view-only from iCal.  Just calendar events.

Jim

Posted by Jim Pollock on September 10, 2007 at 5:21 PM (CDT)

I used the Chat-Now feature a few days ago and they told me I would be able to add or edit Contacts AND Calendar events. Now, they’re telling me only Contacts are able to add/edit.
I love apple, but that doesn’t make sense.
I still hope that this is just for a certain time, because when Leopard comes out, Mail will have some more feautures, like To-Dos and Notes, so maybe they’re just waiting for Leopard.
Otherwise we have to use hacks, what I don’t really want to do…

Posted by Seba on September 10, 2007 at 5:32 PM (CDT)

ok B James, my ipod doesn’t have Wifi, calcualtor, browser,  editable contacts or a touch screen with a keyboard on it, so I not sure about your statement there partner.  I think people expect the iTouch to be an iPhone without the monthly bill and more memory.  Guess what, you will have to wait till next Christmas to get an iTouch like that.

Posted by bmann on September 10, 2007 at 5:33 PM (CDT)

Hmm well steve sorta outlined exactly why there was browser in the iPod touch, to allow you fuller access to Wifi hotspots that require login.  Wifi was provided for hmmm the Apple Wifi Store.  One is an advanced iPod, the other is a cell/wifi internet/communications device.  So lets see the iPod touch also does not have email, or weather, or maps, or a camera, likely because its not a phone, rather its still an IPOD, be it one with access to a Wifi enabled store to purchase music.  Make not mistake the browser is there because it was the easiest way to provide login ability to wifi hotspots.  I would bet if there was a more locked down way it would not have Safari either, just like it again has no Mail.app…  If you want the full featured iPhone without the phone, they were nice enought o drop the price by $200 (so you don’t have to pay $599 like I did), and use one of many ways of activating the iPhone without signing up for AT&T and you get it all, without the monthly service…  Too many choices it seems.

Posted by B James on September 10, 2007 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

Is Apple becoming a big corporation?

Uhh…Apple has been exactly that for many, many years now.  The fanboys just pretend it isn’t.

Posted by malren on September 10, 2007 at 6:01 PM (CDT)

The problem here is that everyone outside the US has to deal with apple’s little marketing ploy, the iphone is not available for them. The other ipods have calenders as well even though they are ‘MP3 players’ first, so if your new ipod has this highly advertised touch screen then why take that feature away. And even worse to first advertise that it is available to maybe get a few more orders then only to have it removed the next day just isn’t right.

Posted by Ali on September 10, 2007 at 7:28 PM (CDT)

@wouwout: I think you’re overreacting. You cancelled an iPod order just because you can’t add calendar events? If you’re in the US, you should buy the iPhone if you want a communicator. You’re lucky that you have that option.

This is a media player, not a PDA. The read-only functionality of past iPods has been adequate in my opinion.

Posted by Japester on September 10, 2007 at 7:49 PM (CDT)

Hate to say this but it’s looking more and more like the iTouch will be a dud.

Too many compromises and nothing that hits a homerun, at least with this consumer.

Think that they missed the mark with the current iTouch, time will tell…

Posted by dud on September 10, 2007 at 7:50 PM (CDT)

I just got off the phone with Apple customer relationships…

The term “Bait and Switch” was bantered around - both the first girl I talked to “Heather” and the second tier guy both claimed they hadn’t heard of this issue yet (so call folks!)

“All I can say is I’m sure Apple will fix this in the future - but I can’t say for sure)

Sigh… i’m cranky - but my bitch at least counts!

Posted by BuffaloBear on September 10, 2007 at 8:25 PM (CDT)

Ok. am I the only one that sees the reasoning here? This is an iPod. If you want all the functionality of an iPhone…buy a freakin’ iPhone. If Apple made this product just as appealing, only without the actual phone, then they would be shooting themselves in the foot. This is a DMP with some really cool additions. That is all. You couldn’t do all these things with the 5G iPod. Now you have Wi-Fi, editable contacts, wireless iTMS, widescreen video, touchscreen…Jesus people! How demanding can you really be? Enjoy a superior product or buy a Zune. I am sure that will be satisfying…ha,ha,ha!

Posted by tmhale13 on September 10, 2007 at 8:52 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›