iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated] | iLounge News

iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated]

An image posted in our iPod touch First Look article and a subsequent edit by Apple of the iPod touch’s online information has led to widespread speculation that the company has intentionally removed features from the iPod touch’s applications. As seen in the photo below, the iPod touch’s Calendar application lacks the “Add” button found in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone’s Calendar application. This button is used to add new events to the Calendar.

Following the discovery of this omission by members of Apple’s discussion boards, Apple changed the text in the device’s Multi-touch feature description. It originally read, “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.” It now reads: “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts,” with the “entering calendar events” removed. Apple has yet to comment on the story.

Update: Apple has confirmed with Engadget that the iPod touch will not be able to create calendar events. “Like current iPods, the touch can only view calendar entries created on your computer,” Apple said.

« Six Apart announces TypePad for iPhone, iPod touch

New iPods = new iLounge forums »

Comments

The “just buy an iPhone folks” can stuff it. I can’t afford $60 per month for a cell phone even if it is really fantastic. That it’s fantastic is beside the point. I can’t afford it! I can, however, afford a one-time payment iPod touch, and I’d sure like to be able to enter calendar events, type notes and use google maps. These features are already developed. Removing them is more effort than keeping them in place. I think the paranoia about the iPod touch possibly canabilizing iPhone sales is ridiculous. I would love to have an iPhone, but I can’t afford it. I won’t buy an iPhone even if they cripple the iPod touch so much that the only thing it can do is play music.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on September 10, 2007 at 9:00 PM (CDT)

Sjonke,

The touch won’t have google maps because it’s rather pointless, the point of it on the iPhone is to be able to use it while on the road and pretty much anywhere.  If it were on the touch you’d have to be near a wi-fi hotspot, which kinda defeats it’s purpose.  If you can’t afford the iPhone, then oh well.  Get something else, and leave the phone for the rest of us that can afford it ;)

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 10, 2007 at 9:10 PM (CDT)

@sjonke: You Americans are lucky that you have the choice of iPhone or Touch. “Just buy an iPhone” is sound advice. If you aren’t willing to pay, then iPhone is not for you. Personally I wish I had the choice. I would probably choose the iPhone.

Posted by Japester on September 10, 2007 at 9:12 PM (CDT)

I agree with Ali.

I was kind of on the fence about the iPod Touch but I’m thinking I’ll just wait or get a Classic.

Posted by blahhh on September 10, 2007 at 9:14 PM (CDT)

Forget this ipod touch, it’s a dud. Too small capacity. No way to change songs or volume in your pocket. Crippled as a communications device with no microphone, crippleware software. Get an iPod classic and wait for Apple to get it right.

Posted by Chris on September 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM (CDT)

It makes sense that Apple didn’t include Mail, Google Maps, etc on the touch. They needed a way to distinguish the iPhone from the iPod touch. Those are all internet apps. But the people who say not being able to add a calendar event is like not include Mail are just plain wrong. The calendar is not an internet app. And those to say “it’s an iPod” and like all other iPods you can’t edit calendar events so why are we complaining? Well guys, I can’t add contacts to my regular iPod either, yet I can add them to a touch. So your argument there is full of holes, too.

Face it, Apple blew it. I can live with the decision not to include Mail, etc. It makes business sense for Apple to do so, and there was a logic behind it so as to avoid cannibalizing iPhone sales. Not being allowed to add events as an arbitrary and foolish move and it will serve ONLY to piss of customers (it’s not like “adding calendar events” is going to be a marketing differentiator for the iPhone).

I’m afraid Apple is getting to big (or too full of itself) to properly manager their business to the level of detail and quality that we are all used to.

Posted by Joe on September 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

The “they wanted to distinguish it from the iPhone” claims are rubbish. It should be a media player with some basic PDA functions, just like most PDAs today have basic media playing functions.

It has nothing to do with the iPhone. Everyone who already has a cellphone they are happy with has no interest in the iPhone, plus most people have a camera on their cellphone. What people really want is a media player that can also do basic PDA tasks like Google Maps, check e-mail, take Notes and make Calendar updates/entries.

Posted by yacoub on September 10, 2007 at 10:01 PM (CDT)

I have a iphone and it does let me add events to my calandar, you just need to download the new version of iphone.

Posted by Mars on September 10, 2007 at 11:17 PM (CDT)

@yacoub:

I couldn’t disagree with you more - I think most people want a media player that works, simply and reliably. I think the only people who want an iPod loaded with as many PDA functions as possible are techies, early adopters, or Apple fans who don’t/can’t have an iPhone.

People were never demanding the ability to store contacts or calendar entries on their iPods before, and (outside of my IT colleagues) I don’t know anyone who used the functions once they were added. They’re nice functions to have, but aren’t in any way necessary for a digital media player. In the same way web browsing, calendar entries, and an address book aren’t necessary for an iPod touch. They’re sure nice to have but aren’t integral to the media-playing functionality or WiFi iTunes Store feature. Apple believes that if people want full PDA features badly enough they’ll either buy an iPhone now, buy an iPod touch now and an iPhone later, or just wait until they’re able to buy an iPhone.

This entire debate reminds me of people clamoring for Apple to add support for ogg vorbis/FLAC/DivX/your favorite codec to the iPod. Does the mass market care for such features? No. Will the lack thereof in the iPod significantly hurt Apple’s sales? No. If Apple adds such features to placate the more techie-minded among us - great! They’ll gain some more customers. If not, Apple will do fine and Archos or other PMP makers will gain some supporters instead.

Posted by PK on September 11, 2007 at 12:11 AM (CDT)

I think it’s a little arrogant of the americans in this forum to just state get an iPhone. In Australia it isn’t an option and won’t be for awhile. Surely the iTouch with a keyboard should have the basic ability to add calendar events. I don’t expect the thing to cook my breakfast but but I do expect something as simple as that for $549 Australian. I’m assuming I can at least sync my entourage with it and add existing appointments and events that way. Otherwise hackers bring it on. This is typical of big companies like this losing end user focus. Look how Sony is on a rapid downward slope because of their fears of hacking and piracy crippling their products. They used to dominate the portable audio market but by crippling their mp3 players they lost it completely. The PSP is another example where it took hackers to provide some basic apps that Sony should have included in the first place.

Posted by PCKid on September 11, 2007 at 12:45 AM (CDT)

Anyone who knows the iPhone’s calendar will let you add events should be let down that they limited what the application can do.  Don’t want mail or other application on there?  Fine, don’t put it on there.  But why make an existing application less functional, especially when it has nothing to do with the internet?  It makes no sense to limit that function, plain and simple.

Just like mail will get ported form iPhone to iPod touch, so will the full calendar app to offer those disgruntled with a moronic move on apple’s part

Posted by spimp31 on September 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM (CDT)

I’m with sjonke.

When my Palm PDA died, I needed a replacement, but I really longed for an Apple product. When the iPod Touch was announced, I was thrilled. I read about the features, including entering calendar events, and ordered one right away.

Now today’s news. Looks like I need to cancel my order and get another Palm, yuck. Ugly, but at least it works. And I’ll just keep using my old gen 1 iPod Shuffle for music.

I can’t afford a cell phone. Really, really can’t. I also can’t afford both a Palm and an iPod Touch. I am very very sad, but looks like I have to get the Palm.

Bottom line, they took away a feature they were actually advertising. That is the worst part. If they’d never offered it in the first place, I never would have ordered the Touch.

Posted by Jessi on September 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM (CDT)

Meh - I dunno. I can definitely understand the annoyance at not having such a useful feature included in the shipping version of the iPod touch, but to me it’s just not a big deal. I always wanted that feature on my 4G 40 GB iPod, but I realized that if I really wanted it I had to wait until Apple came out with a model that included it. Otherwise, I’d just buy a phone or PDA that had it (and I did - I bought several phones that had it and used the feature, though infrequently).

I can’t understand all the passionate indignation here about a feature not being included. Disappointment, yes - deep personal anger, no. It’s a media player - either buy it, buy a different one, or suggest the features to Apple and wait for them to release a model that includes all the features you want.

Posted by PK on September 11, 2007 at 1:25 AM (CDT)

@Jessi:

And I do agree with you - Apple should never have advertised and then pulled this feature in the first place. In addition, they should’ve been consistent about data entry in general - either no data entry into Contacts and Calendar at all, or unfettered data entry into both. Going halfway was a poor choice on Apple’s part.

Posted by PK on September 11, 2007 at 1:28 AM (CDT)

For those of you who want Apple to add calendar editing to iPod touch, don’t be afraid to send feedback at http://www.apple.com/feedback. Hopefully they’ll listen and add this capability back in.

If not, it has been reported that the iPod touch has the same software foundation as iPhone. Perhaps someone can copy over the calendar application?

Posted by wowok1234 on September 11, 2007 at 1:29 AM (CDT)

surely this is against trading standards? I ordered the ipod touch, with it advertised with this capability. So when i get the touch and it doesn’t do what it was advertised as being able to do, then that is false advertising isn’t it? That can’t be legal.

It’s like ordering a car listed as having air con, you get the car and it doesn’t…

Posted by matthew on September 11, 2007 at 5:24 AM (CDT)

@Chris

A dud?!  Hahaha.  You’ve got to be kidding me.  This thing will fly off the shelves.

I’ve got a 4GB iPhone and seem to manage pretty well considering I have over 22GB in my library.  Smart playlists do come in handy.

Regardless, life’s full of compromises.  If they loaded this thing up with flash memory, it would be outrageously expensive.  If they put in a hard drive, battery life would suffer.

And, honestly, I can’t believe people are STILL throwing out those lame “it has no microphone” type rants.  Guess what?  Most people don’t give a rat’s a**!

A crippled calendar?  Whoop dee doo doo doo!.  Not anything that can’t be fixed in a software update.

Posted by The Raven in USA on September 11, 2007 at 5:58 AM (CDT)

LOL I love all the people complaining! Its and iPod not a PDA - GET OVER IT! If you want and iPhone go get a bloody iPhone. At least you can. NZ wont have them for another year! Those who complain that the thing has too small a memory, go get a classic!

You don’t know how good you got it.

Posted by Greekiwi on September 11, 2007 at 6:08 AM (CDT)

ITouch will replace the IPod Classic one day so there is not really need for stocks and all. What we need is more space, its a Video/Music player.

IPhone is just right, we might want a bit more space but there has to be a difference between IPhone and ITouch

Posted by Dennis on September 11, 2007 at 6:55 AM (CDT)

“Not anything that can’t be fixed in a software update.”

Uh, what reason is there to believe that there would ever be a software update to “fix it”, when it took an intentional “software update” to remove it? Obviously this is a misguided attempt to differentiate the products, not a technical matter.

I can’t imagine that people are going to buy an iPhone and pay $60+ a month just to get the calendar entry feature, nor can I imagine that having the calender entry feature would prevent anyone from buying an iPhone (the iPod touch is not a phone and doesn’t offer internet access everywhere). All it does is annoy/punish the people who wanted an iPod touch in the first place.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on September 11, 2007 at 8:54 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >