iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated] | iLounge News

iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, September 10, 2007
News Categories: iPod

An image posted in our iPod touch First Look article and a subsequent edit by Apple of the iPod touch’s online information has led to widespread speculation that the company has intentionally removed features from the iPod touch’s applications. As seen in the photo below, the iPod touch’s Calendar application lacks the “Add” button found in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone’s Calendar application. This button is used to add new events to the Calendar.

Following the discovery of this omission by members of Apple’s discussion boards, Apple changed the text in the device’s Multi-touch feature description. It originally read, “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.” It now reads: “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts,” with the “entering calendar events” removed. Apple has yet to comment on the story.

Update: Apple has confirmed with Engadget that the iPod touch will not be able to create calendar events. “Like current iPods, the touch can only view calendar entries created on your computer,” Apple said.

« Six Apart announces TypePad for iPhone, iPod touch

New iPods = new iLounge forums »

Comments

I don’t understand the reason for this.  IF there were trying to keep the market open of the iPhone I could partially understand however, by doing this they are limiting the international and younger customers from using this as a basic PDA.  I cancelled my order and until this thing gets hacked to @ least add notes, I won’t order it.  This is just upsetting, I could understand if it were hard to implement and was coming later but we already know it works in the iPhone!

Posted by Jason Draper on September 11, 2007 at 7:05 AM (PDT)

Wow, I knew some folks would be annoyed, but I didn’t think the omission of calendar editing would ignite such a furor.

I think Apple made an error in not including the calendar editing with the touch. Assuming that Apple’s overriding objective was to not cannibalize iPhone sales, I think it would have been more logical to have left out wi-fi, leaving the phone and data capability with the iPhone. The touch could then be marketed as the long sought after widescreen iPod, with the usual read-only contacts and calendar functions, among other things.

I am not sure what Apple has to gain by allowing contacts to be edited, but not the calendar. It’s like buying a new car but the manufacturer took out the cupholders.

Though Apple never claimed the touch would be a PDA killer or replacement, I think a lot of folks (myself included) made that assumption when they mentioned the ability to add contacts. I think Apple should have foreseen that folks might be unhappy with this halfway approach.

I think the touch will still sell pretty well, especially internationally. As for me, I’m starting to think that I’ll wait for a 2G or 3G touch with larger capacity to eventually replace my 5G iPod. Hopefully by then the touch’s calendar can be edited too.

Posted by cxc273 on September 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

lol well they made skype for iphone so does that mean the touch can kinda be a phone too?

Posted by Paul K on September 11, 2007 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

For all those who say to go buy an iPhone if we want PDA functionality:

I would rather get an iPhone for all it’s bells and whistles. I live in the US, and I can afford it. However, AT&T does not cover everywhere in the US. I live in South Dakota. Go zoom in on South Dakota on AT&T’s coverage map (and please do zoom in) from the map of the entire US< it looks as if AT&T does cover us. Zoom in and you’ll see their coverage is all supported by “partner” towers. The fine print of their contract says “excessive use of partner coverage may result in the termination of your account”

So, the whole “go get an iPhone” rant doesn’t apply to everyone in the US. I would love an iPhone. Unfortunately AT&T doesn’t think I should be able to have them as a carrier.

Posted by MacGeek Pro on September 11, 2007 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

Arguing that it is ‘okay’ that google maps, mail, etc are not on the touch, because it’s not the iPhone doesn’t make sense.  This suggests an assumption that a gadget needs ‘always on’ connectivity in order for these apps to be useable or useful.  Laptops don’t have always on functionality and yet have those apps.  The iPhone and iTouch are essentially tiny computers (like every other phone etc out there).  Crippling the software is, ironically, a pretty narrow-visioned thing to do.

I would buy the touch in a SECOND FLAT (I cancelled my order when hearing of this, until I see either Apple release the apps, or someone hack them—the latter option being obnoxious, given the price) if it had the same apps as the iPhone. Meaning, if it were just, to quote Steve himself: “an iPhone without the Phone”.  This is not an iPhone without the phone. That statement is blatantly false.

Arguments that “it’s okay because it’s an iPod, blah blah blah ... ” are not relevant.  Why support obvious marketing crap?  Don’t be lemmings, PUSH when something doesn’t really make sense!

smile

Posted by TJW on September 11, 2007 at 10:54 AM (PDT)

Someone should let Amazon know. They haven’t “corrected” the text of their features list yet in their pre-order product description page.

Posted by Ingersoll on September 11, 2007 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

Obviously Apple has the technology to allow you to input calendar and to-do entries on the touch. Also obviously, they need to take measures to make it and the iPhone distinctly different products. I get that. But claiming such a feature at the start, then pulling out a 3rd grade “Sike!” isn’t too cool.

Maybe they’ll stick to what they initially claimed, maybe not. If they do, sweet. Buying a touch is a lot more likely for me if I don’t have to also upgrade my PDA (like I’ve been intending to forever!).

If not, how hard would it be for someone to create a calendar application that allows entries to be made on the touch or one that hack’s Apple’s?  Would it be legal?  How about full-featured to-do and notepad applications?

Those who live outside of the US, you are right. We are lucky to have the option of the iPhone. But what you need to know is this: even the iPhone isn’t worth the service provided by AT&T. Hope Apple picks a better carrier where you live.

Call me crazy, but I want the iPhone without the phone.

Posted by StayHuman on September 11, 2007 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

... Ok how am I going to say this so some you arrogant what-nots will understand…

I. DON’T. WANT. AN. IPHONE. Ok…? With me so far? Yes? Good. I want what I hoped would be the iPod touch, i.e. a iPod with a couple of PDA feature thrown in, that’s all. Whether or not it fits with you dogmatic “an iPod *has* to stay an iPod” people doesn’t really concern me. It’s not about money (actually, me being a Swede and all is besides my point) it’s about me not being interested in using the PHONE FUNCTION of the iPHONE. I don’t want a contract since I’m traveling around. I don’t need a camera either, just want to be able to jot down a meeting quickly. The “get an iPhone” crowd really can stuff it because you clearly don’t understand what some us want. Whether Apple will change their mind however is a completely different matter. Maybe they won’t.

So… when some of you mention that “it’s an *iPod* dammit, not a PDA an’ in 1634 we were *happy* with our iOrchestra needing a little train of carriages kind-of-lo-tech for our mobile music”. Good for you, good for you. The problem, you see, is that since Safari is there they *left the entire interface for putting in data in there and then there’s the whole contact thingy. What about those contacts, you say? I mean that’s nice and uniform with the rest of the features of the touch, right? I mean being able to *input data* and all. Because you can do that with the rest of the iPods, be it classic or the nano, as well? Right? Right? Ah… You can’t? Really? Are you sure?

“People don’t want those kind of features in an iPod!” Eh…? Who are you then, an iPhone user?

I’m sorry but if people think putting in events in iCal is hard how the hell can they be expected to be able to handle, oh say, *Safari*, hmm? Or hey, wait I just mentioned that other feature: *adding* contacts. Really. Don’t patronize others. If there’s some “can only use input for Safari” kind of savant out there I don’t think they will have a problem *ignoring* iCal altogether. Or even that beautifully uniformly constructed Contacts, *with* “adding” enabled, mind you.

It’s a switched needing to be turned from “0” to “1” and we’re in business. If you don’t think that’s ridiculous then you’d be my dream customer. Don’t shop at the local cars dealer ‘cause they’ll be able to sell you your own car, right back to you.

Gladly, of all those talented coders out there many will probably be frustrated and in the end simply find the “switch” or simply port the iPhone apps over.

Now that that’s off my chest I bid you good night.

Posted by blop on September 11, 2007 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

I really don’t get the point of this, if I wanted a stripped down music player I’d pay the same price for an iPod Classic with 10x the memory. The iPod Touch already seems like it’s crippled because of it’s small amount of memory.

Posted by dpotts on September 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM (PDT)

I totally agree with “blop” on this one. I don’t want a f**king iPhone, I want an iTouch that lets me just throw in a note here and there… if not I guess I’ll carry around a pen and notebook or something, but come on… it’s easier for apple to leave the “add event” button in than to take it out… I do love apple, but this bugs me

Posted by Toleran on September 11, 2007 at 6:11 PM (PDT)

16GB for ipod touch? come on they can do better….

Posted by J007 on September 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

Everyone does realize that the iPod Touch is just an iPhone without the cellular hardware right? That means your friends with iPhones (yes they use the same binaries) can simply give you mobilecal.app for your iPod Touch or any other app that runs on the iPhone.

Posted by Court Kizer on September 11, 2007 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

I can add calender, meetings, todo list, do e-mail, chat and browse the web on my old SE610. This without locking myself in with a long and very expensive contract.

Why not on a wifi enabled computer based on osx? That’s what the ipod-touch is. This whole - it’s a media player period is just dumbing down the product for no good reason. The interface is there exactly so you can do more.

Posted by Martin on September 12, 2007 at 8:34 AM (PDT)

geez… all this commotion about a calendar feature on a freakin mp3 player!  wtf?  i’m buying this thing cos it looks cool and it plays mp3s and i can watch vids on it.  i only have about 9gb of music so the 16gb is perfect for me.  i’m definitely buying it.  never even used the calendar on my other ipods… in fact, never used any other function on my other ipods other than the music function.

Posted by joits on September 12, 2007 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Thanks for the insight Court. I don’t want to doubt you, but I’m curious how you’ve verified this. Has Apple “officially” confirm the sharing of apps between the iPhone and the touch? If not, do you know of any online tutorials that would show how?

Posted by StayHuman on September 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM (PDT)

I really really doubt they will ever do this but Apple should open up the iPhone and iTouch to third party developers.  This will help to address some of the limitations and make these ‘players’ or devices more useful and popular, nuf said

open source baby!

Posted by opensource on September 12, 2007 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

HOW ABSOLUTELY STUPID!!!!!

Words just about fail me.

I’ve kept a close eye on ARCHOS products and APPLE’s ipods and iphone.

I was about to sort of forgive, or really “deal with” the 16Gig limitation (over ARCHOS 160 gigs!!) because of the fantastic performance of the screen on iphone / itouch.

Now this? This is INSANE.

Posted by Robert Kral on September 13, 2007 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

BOO Apple.  The new undisputed cripple ware Kings.  And I thought Microsoft was bad!  Guess what? ipod “classic” could not browse the web but the ipod touch can.  Now the excuse that the touch can’t add calendar events is “previous ipods could not enter new events.”

Steve Jobs, I invite you to journey in my time machine.  The year is 1997. Here in this magical world PDAs can enter contacts and calendar events. Wow what an amazing concept!

Why have a calendar at all?????

Lame.

Posted by Steve on September 14, 2007 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

What makes no sense is that you can Edit Contacts on the fly… and not the Calender. Why would I want to Edit Contacts on the fly and not the Calender.. Or better yet Why would I want to Edit contacts at all.. I mean hell I’m not going to be dialing from the I Touch

Posted by Michael on September 18, 2007 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

This is so stupid. Im actually really disapointed. I was hoping to use the device as a pda/ ipod hybird. Now its a useless pda with a fancy ipod which you pay over the odds for.
PLEASE APPLE - fix this stupid alteration and give your customers what they want.

Posted by Matthew (UK) on September 19, 2007 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >