iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated] | iLounge News

iPod touch lacks ability to add calendar events? [updated]

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, September 10, 2007
News Categories: iPod

An image posted in our iPod touch First Look article and a subsequent edit by Apple of the iPod touch’s online information has led to widespread speculation that the company has intentionally removed features from the iPod touch’s applications. As seen in the photo below, the iPod touch’s Calendar application lacks the “Add” button found in the upper right hand corner of the iPhone’s Calendar application. This button is used to add new events to the Calendar.

Following the discovery of this omission by members of Apple’s discussion boards, Apple changed the text in the device’s Multi-touch feature description. It originally read, “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, entering calendar events, or adding new contacts.” It now reads: “And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts,” with the “entering calendar events” removed. Apple has yet to comment on the story.

Update: Apple has confirmed with Engadget that the iPod touch will not be able to create calendar events. “Like current iPods, the touch can only view calendar entries created on your computer,” Apple said.

« Six Apart announces TypePad for iPhone, iPod touch

New iPods = new iLounge forums »

Comments

I would’ve ordered one of these a week ago if Apple hadn’t chosen to cripple it.

There is no need to differentiate the iPhone and iPod touch in software.  The iPhone already has numerous features over the iPod touch: camera, Bluetooth ... and it’s a phone!  Everyone needs to e-mail Apple and tell them to get calendar entry, Note, Mail and other apps back onto the iPod touch.

Posted by Joe on September 28, 2007 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

I was quite disappointed when I literally turned on my iPod Touch and tried to edit “Today’s Events” only to realize this was not a feature. I think not having this basic functional feature is ridiculous- a classic example of bait-and-switch marketing techniques.

For all those customers (including myself) who for various reasons did not want and iPhone, the iPod Touch claimed to be the perfect wedding between powerful PDA/music usability and innovative Apple style. Unfortunately we were mislead, and our needs were misunderstood.

No doubt, Apple will probably come to their senses one day and include more features, but this still doesn’t atone the fact that I (and others) have already paid our price in full. And no, the iPod Touch is NOT just another music player. It has so much potential to be much more- to appeal to a broader market. Just thinking that you are buying a $299+ device for the interface is a waste of your money and doesn’t even make business sense.

Posted by Adora Mora on September 29, 2007 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

So petty of Apple and very disapointing. I was hesitating because of the limited capacity, this decides me against. I’m in Europe and I don’t want to buy an iphone… it just isn’t such a great product compared with what is available here.

Posted by Occam on October 9, 2007 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

I just bought one yesterday. I was so disappointed to see that there are rows for calender items but I could not add anything! To me it should be either totally removed to add the full feature in the calender. I am going to return it for this.

Posted by Mortoza on October 10, 2007 at 7:23 AM (PDT)

The only reason I would buy an iTouch would be for the ability to schedule events on my calendar.  I already have a mobile phone and an iPod that’s only about 1/3 of the way full.  I will probably end up getting a laptop, instead, which might be exactly what Apple had in mind.

Posted by Scrabblegal on October 15, 2007 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

Damn stupid that how i think about an Ipod touch now. I just bought one for some days and came to know that its music player was not as good as what from a normal MP3 what i can pay for 40 bucks in supper markets. When i visited Apple store to try the functions of an Ipod touch, the calendar function was the most attracted one to me because I need it for my busy work. The sample one was put with note and events perfectly in the calendar function. But I can not understand why when I bought exactly the same model one but It does not allow to put events for calendar. What the stupid it is? I feel like being cheated and very disappointed at this. What can I do to explain for my wasted 498 singapore dollars, the money I can spend for my whole month living expenditure for such an useless one like that? Should we caution other people about this problem and suggest them to think carefully before buying this? They would be a fool for believing in a famous but cheating brand Apple.

Posted by ann bui on October 29, 2007 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

i just bought my ipod touch today and it seems theyve done a software upgrade cos i can add events and edit to my hearts content….

Posted by rachel on January 5, 2008 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

On the new firmware for the itouch you can add calendar events.

Posted by Dmack on January 7, 2008 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

Verify the touch now has a working calender?  I just sent a comment to Apple requesting that feature as a friend told me it didn’t work.  It’s a buy for me as my Palm just died and I only really use the calender and contact feature.

Posted by rstark3 on March 21, 2008 at 9:05 PM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4