iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini, including the new Click Wheel iPod. This update includes the latest available software for each model of iPod or iPod mini. Download and install the iPod Updater 2004-07-15 then connect your iPod or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

New for Click Wheel iPods
  • Shuffle songs with one click
  • Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
  • Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
  • Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
  • Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones
  • Charge via USB 2.0 connection
  • Enjoy improved playback performance
    Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
  • Improved playback performance
  • Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality
    Updates for iPod without a Dock connector
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store

Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
iTunes 4.6 or later
A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

« All Duke University freshmen to get new iPods

UPDATED: Apple’s new iPod: 12h battery, surprises »

Comments

Does the following new click wheel features work with the 3G iPods once the 2004-7-15 update is installed?

Shuffle songs with one click

Create multiple On-The-Go playlists

Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists

Select reading playback speed for audiobooks

Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones

Charge via USB 2.0 connection

Enjoy improved playback performance

Thanks,

Darren

Posted by Darren on July 19, 2004 at 1:38 PM (CDT)

Holy crap!

Its a 27MB download!

Posted by Faramir on July 19, 2004 at 1:53 PM (CDT)

when i run the updater it says “Service Error” :’[
anyone got any bright ideas?

Posted by perplex on July 19, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

Can anyone answer Darren’s question please?

Posted by Yarin on July 19, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

There are no updates to non-Click Wheel iPods and iPod minis. Update is quite misleading.

Posted by SFNE Freak in CT on July 19, 2004 at 2:07 PM (CDT)

I also thought that it would be easy for Apple to include at least some of the 4G features in the update for the 3G, but no.
After installing it, no new functions.

Sorry, Darren

Posted by Philip on July 19, 2004 at 2:13 PM (CDT)

omg “misleading” to say the least?

Posted by perplex on July 19, 2004 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

Hopefully we’ll get an update for 3G to do the one-click shuffle and better On-The-Go playlist management sometime soon.

I mean, it’s a software rather than hardware issue and it would be uncharacteristically mean-spirited for Apple to deny it to us in the hope that we’ll upgrade.

Posted by David on July 19, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CDT)

i wanted a multiple on the go playlist on my third gen iPod
Why there’s no update like this on the 3rd gen too ?

Posted by Fredo on July 19, 2004 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

Wait, is there any reasons to update a 3g, then?

Posted by djfeld01 on July 19, 2004 at 2:42 PM (CDT)

“Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store”

How is mine not ‘compatible’ now?

Posted by djfeld01 on July 19, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CDT)

Sorry guys I wouldn’t hold your breath.

I used the same logic with my 2G Ipod when the on-the-go playlists came out on the 3G. It is just software and I still don’t understand why they didn’t throw use 2G-ers a bone, but I don’t think they will appease the 3G-ers this time either…

Posted by PatTheRat on July 19, 2004 at 2:48 PM (CDT)

My ipod (3G) was updated with the update before this one (2.2) and when i downloaded this one and tried to update it, it told me I didnt need it.

So unless you missed the last update before this one, there is no reason to download this for 3G ipods.

Posted by klax on July 19, 2004 at 2:49 PM (CDT)

First, it’s important to note that Apple previously released iPod software 1.4 for 1st and 2nd generation iPods.  This same version is included with the July 15, 2004 update.

In short—there is no need for 1st and 2nd generation iPod owners to sit through the 27MB download.

Secondly, to all of you 3rd generation iPoders—I feel your pain.  Perhaps you recall the furor we 1st- and 2nd-gen iPoders raised when your fancy new features weren’t extended to our trusty touchwheel models…  Might I suggest waiting at least two years before succombing to the desire to buy a new iPod, because otherwise you’ll just have this same, “misled” and generally pissed off at Apple feeling every year.

Best of luck to you in the inevitable campaign to get Apple to give you the new features.  Just remember—it still plays music just fine.

Posted by TheMantis on July 19, 2004 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

Yes, the pain is surely felt, but I hope people can get past the pain and hurt and realize that there are worse things in the world and life is short. For instance, my Grandfather passed away this morning.

Complaining that there is no firmware for the 3rd gen iPod is a very small thing indeed, and I can’t believe that some people don’t seem to remember the hullabaloo the last time this happened.

You’re iPod is still just fine.

Remember life is short, so choose your battles wisely.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on July 19, 2004 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

I recently bought a 3G 20 gig ipod, roughly 5 or 6 months ago and they bestbuy gave me a 4 year warranty. When these new 4G ipods get circulated and I “happen to have some hardware issues” would Best Buy be obligated to replace my old 3G ipod with the 4G 40 gig (because of the price decrease). Or do you think best buy will screw me out of my 120$ warranty?

Posted by Stefan on July 19, 2004 at 3:05 PM (CDT)

I can understand that Apple wants to differentiate the two iPods, but it should do so by size.

I had all three generations of iPods, and when I got the mini, it was exactly what I needed. It was durable for running, and light.

Denying all iPod mini owners of the new firmware features is ridiculous. I can understand them wanting for people to update, but what if people are not compelled by the new iPod?

Apple should at least put in the shuffle feature, along with the playlists on the go. It is a simple menu feature, and should be available for everyone.

I don’t think many people would change their orders based on those two features alone. People who want a ton of space will get the iPod; people who want durability and lightness will get the mini.

I think we mini and 3G owners should start a petition to get Apple to release the new features on their “older” gear. I can understand Apple wanting to keep recording, and the future “Home on iPod” feature on the big brother, but for simple menu functions, they are way off base. There is a difference between keeping your products competitive, and screwing people who merely prefer the mini to the the BigPod.

Apple needs to realize that they can’t just cripple products to make the more expensive products more compelling. They need to realize that they need to wow people to make them upgrade. There is a reason that you have to wait two months to get a mini. Make a kick-### iPod Apple, and we will throw our money at you. The 4G is more like 3.1.

Crippling products on minimal features doesn’t help anything. It just sours the milk for buying future iPods.

If anyone knows how to start a petition, please post the info here.

Posted by Sean on July 19, 2004 at 3:10 PM (CDT)

I’m disappointed about this new ipod, I like to have the “newest” stuff and a few months ago i bought an 3G 20gig ipod, I was curious if anyone knows “what if”: I were to take my ipod back to best buy (after 4G ipods are circulated) and complain about hardware issues (which i’m actually having) would best buy be obligated to replace my ipod with a new 4g 40gig (price decrease) or would they tell me tought luck and wait for an apple repair?

Posted by Stefan on July 19, 2004 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

Stefan,
You may want to check out some of the past postings on this one….
  To the best of my knowledge,though,I believe they do…
Hardware issues,eh ;-)?You sly boots,you.

Posted by M. on July 19, 2004 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

3G users…prepare to despair

As quoted from an article on CNET

“The company also said Monday that the iPod’s new software features, such as the enhanced on-the-go playlists and the improved audiobook handling, will not be made available for older iPods.”

Posted by adrenaline on July 19, 2004 at 3:36 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last ›