iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini, including the new Click Wheel iPod. This update includes the latest available software for each model of iPod or iPod mini. Download and install the iPod Updater 2004-07-15 then connect your iPod or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

New for Click Wheel iPods
  • Shuffle songs with one click
  • Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
  • Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
  • Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
  • Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones
  • Charge via USB 2.0 connection
  • Enjoy improved playback performance
    Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
  • Improved playback performance
  • Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality
    Updates for iPod without a Dock connector
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store

Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
iTunes 4.6 or later
A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

« All Duke University freshmen to get new iPods

UPDATED: Apple’s new iPod: 12h battery, surprises »

Comments

The way extended warranties work is that if you’re having a problem, you take it in and they will service it for you.  If you have to do this a 3rd time, they’ll replace it as part of their “no lemon” policy.

Their warranty deems that they’ll replace your product with another product of “equal value” as they deem necessary.  So, although you may have paid $399 for a 20GB ipod 7 months ago, they look at it as they owe you a 20GB ipod and NOT a $399 ipod.

This is why I got my extended warranty.  So that when something does go wrong with it, I will be able to have it replaced with the latest version.

I’m sure if you raise a big enough fuss about it, they’ll just exchange your old iPod with a new one as long as you have a warranty and can fake like something is wrong with it.  Unlike a computer or tv, there are no iPod technicians for Best Buy to outsource to for a quick fix.

Posted by Ryan on July 19, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

I’m not sure how it works with iPods, but Best Buy’s standard policy with computers is to match “feature for feature” not “dollar for dollar.”  Although, on a side note, they screwed up and told me the opposite when my laptop died, so I managed to ##### at them for 2 hours in the store and eventually they gave me the $2000 I paid for my computer THREE YEARS AGO, which meant I got a brand new 15” Powerbook G4 for free.  Remember, in America, if you ##### long enough, you get what you want.

Posted by movafova on July 19, 2004 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Stefan,
Best buy will do what is cheapest for them, and as long as parts are still plentiful for 3G’s, that’s what you would still have.
Also note that best buy can also deny warranty repair (ESP) if they deem you damaged the unit yourself on purpose.

Posted by nothinglower on July 19, 2004 at 12:45 PM (PDT)

I’m not surprised, given the way older iPod owners have been treated.  In fact, based on my customer service experience with Apple, and I should say it’s only been with the iPod - I’m a PC user, once they get your money you’re on your own.  I haven’t received good customer service from them since day one.  I’ve owned my 3G iPod for about a year and there are still problems with it that they refuse to address.  I definitely won’t be getting this new iPod, and may never buy another Apple product again.

Posted by Eddie on July 19, 2004 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

And you’re spending time on Ipod Lounge?

>>>For instance, my Grandfather passed away this morning.

Posted by Yeah right on July 19, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

It’s been said before, but I’ll say it again: 3G iPods still work as well as they did last week. Is one-click shuffling really that big of a deal?

And as for Apple not taking care of its customers: my 3G’s remote broke last Wednesday, I filled in a form on Apple’s support site on Thursday and guess what the UPS-guy delivered to my doorstep this morning. A brand new remote. Pretty decent service, if you ask me.

I don’t plan on replacing my current 20GB iPod any time soon. I’m holding out for a Mini-sized 40GB-model with improved sound-output, crossfading and a remote with a display.

Posted by A. on July 19, 2004 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

Oh, and a battery that lasts for at least 20 hours!

Posted by A. on July 19, 2004 at 2:03 PM (PDT)

I can’t believe that Apple has snubbed 3G owners (like myself)!

I’ve created a petition:

Sign it, and let your iPod owning friends and family know about it!!!!

Posted by Brian on July 19, 2004 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Oh do come on. I have a 3G iPod and don’t give a toss about the upgrade not being available. Just because the iPod is in effect a piece of computer hardware doesn’t mean you should expect it to be treated like one by Apple. It is simply an MP3 player. If there were actual faults with it and Apple was refusing to make available a software update to fix them that would be a different issue, but that’s not the case here. It’s quite amazing that there’s people so desperately, tediously pedantic that they are getting upset about not being given the right to:

Have the shuffle song option moved up a menu level

Delete songs from an on-the-go playlist

Have more than one on-the-go playlist

Adjust the speed of audio books

Really, to use an overused phrase - get a life! The 3G is great. The 4G doesn’t change that.

Posted by Nick on July 19, 2004 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

i bought a 3g ipod refurbished from apple they sent me a firewire usb 2.0 cable instead of the dual wire i called customer service at about 3 pm on a wensday and was told it would be 3 to 5 business days lo and behold it was on my porch the next day i was a dell pc user but am seriously considering an apple when i move back to the states

Posted by chris on July 19, 2004 at 3:58 PM (PDT)

oopps ment usb 2.0 only cable instead of dual lol

Posted by chris on July 19, 2004 at 4:01 PM (PDT)

I think it is now time for people to start bit hacking Apple firmware.  Someone needs to adapt the new features of he 4G to the 3G if Apple is going to be such sh*theads about it THIS IS AWFULLY LIKE SOMETHING MICROSOFT MIGHT DO APPLE, IF YOU CAN HEAR ME!  We need to get an effort together to get these new software features.  From what I have heard, the new iPods use the same electronics and batteries, so the 12 hour battery life is a software conservation technology, which could be ported.  Maybe we could use the hacked Firmware on 1G 2G and Mini’s to get added funtionallity.

Posted by Jozer99 on July 19, 2004 at 4:26 PM (PDT)

>>>And you’re spending time on Ipod Lounge?

>>>For instance, my Grandfather passed away this morning.

Yes, I am at the moment. The Funeral will be Saturday. I am in Colorado, it will be in North Dakota. I will fly out Friday. Until them I am spreading out my time with work, iPodlounge, and talking with my family. I’m new to the town right now, I have no close friends near. iPodlounge is a place to spend my time until I can be with my family on Friday night.

Thanks for being understanding (deep sarcasm).

People are free to complain and bellow all they want. I think disscussion is fine too. I just think it is a little petty to get so worked up over something of this magnitude.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on July 19, 2004 at 4:33 PM (PDT)

Self Fulfilling Prophecy ... all you 3rd Gen’rs ignored or told us 1st and 2nd Gen’rs to stuff our comments.

You could have looked forward and saw this coming to you, stood with us and forced Apple to support us old guys with at least some of the new features. But instead you relished in your ‘precious’ new iPods like little Gollums.

Now Apple has done it again and I say… you made your beds now live in them!!!

I give you the same wisdom you gave us… stop whining and go out and buy a new one!!!

Posted by Never saw it coming, did you on July 19, 2004 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

Petition all you want, it won’t do any good.  And that’s fine with me—I would like Apple to make these features available to my gen3, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it, I’m happy with it, and Apple never promised new features on the Gen3’s.  Apple’s track record in the past after a new gen is released has been not to update previous gen’s for these features.

It would be wonderful for them to do so, but they aren’t obligated to do so, and personally the level of indignation over it is a bit overboard.

The only thing I REALLY would like is the improved battery life—this is a functionality issue more than a new feature issue—and I wonder if it has been addressed in 2.2; we’ll have to see.  Otherwise, not much difference between 2.1 and 2.2 that I notice, other than somewhat smoother menu transitions.

Posted by dmt1 on July 19, 2004 at 5:47 PM (PDT)

Right on ‘never saw it comming’ Well said!

Some of you all to late complainers should have stood with us old skoolers. Now you are screwed.

And I say, Ha Ha!

Posted by danbk on July 19, 2004 at 5:48 PM (PDT)

“I think we mini and 3G owners should start a petition to get Apple to release the new features on their “older” gear.”

Apple doesn’t give a #### about petitions. All it understands is pocketbook voting. If people don’t drop their 3G to buy the 4G then they’ll get the message.

i like my iPod but I also like my Archos. I’ve upgraded the hard disk twice in the past couple of years, and upgraded the firmware like a dozen times. Each time it gets bigger (now at 80GB!) and adds lots of new features. Last feature gave me unlimited bookmarking - very useful for audiobooks.

Apple seems to have made it clear that it won’t upgrade any old iPods so it’s up to us to do it ourselves.

Posted by Petitions on July 19, 2004 at 5:55 PM (PDT)

I dont know much about how exsactly iPods work but i belive it wouldnt be too difficult to hack the 4Gs firmware to work with 3Gs. The 4G just has a new OS then the 3G, besides the click wheel I would imagine the insides are almost identical and if someone could hack around with it could find a way to run the 4G OS. Anyone have any technical manuals of the iPod. I think if we work together we can hack the ipod.

Posted by klax on July 19, 2004 at 7:58 PM (PDT)

Could someone please help me quickly… I have an iPod mini, which I do want to update the firmware?? on, but I am running Windows 98SE… I am using Ephpod… I have access to a windows XP computer, with iTunes, but I do not put my music on from there… So I could go to my friends house, update the ipod - with no songs on it, take it home, fill it with music from my computer…? Would this work? Ideally I would like to be able to do it on my 98SE computer - is this possible…? Cheers!

Posted by arsenalmad10 in UK on July 19, 2004 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

So just to be clear… there is NO change to a 3G iPod with this patch? Not even a lame attempt to break Hymn and other anti-DRM?

I’m not that bothered about this 4G/3G thing. I guess I will miss having Shuffle on the main menu but I can live with it. My 3G 15Gb is getting a bit full now and rather than spend money on extending the warranty I’ll just get a 4/5G when it dies.
When I bought it 2G owners were complaining about missing features so I always knew Apple would do the same to us.

Apple are a bit poo for not managing gapless playback on 4G though.

Posted by Chris Matchett on July 19, 2004 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >