iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 released

iPod Updater 2004-07-15 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini, including the new Click Wheel iPod. This update includes the latest available software for each model of iPod or iPod mini. Download and install the iPod Updater 2004-07-15 then connect your iPod or iPod mini to your computer. The iPod Updater will automatically determine if an update is required.

New for Click Wheel iPods
  • Shuffle songs with one click
  • Create multiple On-The-Go playlists
  • Delete songs from On-The-Go playlists
  • Select reading playback speed for audiobooks
  • Hear the clicker user interface sound through headphones
  • Charge via USB 2.0 connection
  • Enjoy improved playback performance
    Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
  • Improved playback performance
  • Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality
    Updates for iPod without a Dock connector
  • Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store

Windows 2000 (Service Pack 4) or Windows XP
iTunes 4.6 or later
A PC with built-in FireWire or USB 2.0, or a FireWire or USB 2.0 card

« All Duke University freshmen to get new iPods

UPDATED: Apple’s new iPod: 12h battery, surprises »

Comments

“Apple needs to realize that they can’t just cripple products to make the more expensive products more compelling.”

Nothing is crippled. Your iPod is the same as it was yesterday. Your sense of reality is crippled.

Posted by Questioner on July 20, 2004 at 1:44 AM (CDT)

While I think it would be nice for apple to put the new features on it, it is not really all that necessary in my view.

How often do you turn shuffle on and off?  I leave mine on all the time.

Who is going to keep that extra layer in the menu that will slow you down (now you have to go music>play lists>... instead of just play lists>...)?  I know I won’t, I customised my menu to be how I like it.

The only really useful feature I think is the on the go play list creation.  Really though, I can make do with only having one available.

After all, each time I plug my iPod into my computer, iTunes makes it a real play list and I can then make another, how many times do you actually need to make a new play list on the go?

Are you actually going to make one, listen to it, make another, listen to that, then go back and listen to the first?  Are you going to do that all between visits to your computer?

I personally would just spend some time creating a set of play lists on your computer, then you will be good to go and never have to use the on the go play list.

Posted by m00j on July 20, 2004 at 1:47 AM (CDT)

Of course my 3G Ipod is not crippled. Still, I don’t think it would have been very difficult for Apple to offer some of the new 4G features such as the shuffle command.  It’s well understood that you can’t upgrade a car but upgrading firmwares is a given on electronic devices.

At least, they should have fixed the remaining 3G bugs.  Chiefly: : faulty battery indicator and the annoying “it’s now ok to disconnect your Ipod” message after “ejecting” the Ipod from your PC.

Posted by hhvuong on July 20, 2004 at 2:51 AM (CDT)

OK…I’m happy wth my 3G. The only thing I’d really like is the firmware/software improvement to the battery life. IS that really too much to ask Mr Jobs?

Posted by mistersnappy on July 20, 2004 at 3:39 AM (CDT)

hopefully this might give the third party firmware developers a kick up the a$$!  I believe there was some project for linux on an ipod a while ago?  Projects like this will now have added impetus as there are so many 3g users who will be p!ssed off and motivated to work on an alternative solution to apple’s firmware.

Posted by bassman-x on July 20, 2004 at 3:56 AM (CDT)

And 3G users get screwed.  OK to Disco not fixed, distorting, terribly-programmed EQ not fixed, no software tweaks to conserve battery, no additional features that are able to be supported by the 3G but Apple is crippling them so we’ll all upgrade.

Screw you, Jobs.  How Apple loyalists can stand getting screwed again and again is beyond me.

Posted by stark23x on July 20, 2004 at 4:25 AM (CDT)

Yeah… that’s twice apple has screwed me over. First with my 2G iPod now with my 3G iPod.

Ah well…... can’t say I didn’t expect it.

Posted by Rish on July 20, 2004 at 4:25 AM (CDT)

The one interesting thing that the 3G/4G debate has not turned up is that Apple is treating iPod minis as 4G (i.e. “Click Wheel iPods”). This means that iPod mini owners will receive the benefit of a software update and new features whilst 3G (and previous) owners will be left without.

I’m not sure this is fair, I spent more on my 40GB iPod than I would’ve on an iPod mini, but I am not receiving the support I would expect.

I appreciate that it is “just” an MP3 player, but some of the new features would be really useful. If, for example, you listen to a mix of music and audio books, the quick access to a shuffle button is important.

Posted by Dave on July 20, 2004 at 5:06 AM (CDT)

i have a mini and am a little curious when/if were gonna get an update i know this one doesnt update the mini’s just curious if we’re gonna get one, we are the current model anyways, but i really don’t care if i get them or not but i really do like the shuffle on command thing.

Posted by Tricky Trav on July 20, 2004 at 5:31 AM (CDT)

Let me ask….If you bought a new car and the next year that same model came with new features, would you people get all bent out of shape and wonder why Ford/GM/Honda/Whoever didn’t let you take your old model in for a retro-fit?

Of course not. And anybody who buys any sort of electronic gadget certainly is aware that next year new features will be on the stuff you’re buying now—so why all the grief over the same thing concerning iPods?

Posted by slapmaxwell on July 20, 2004 at 6:09 AM (CDT)

I feel screwed!!!

Posted by Fastie on July 20, 2004 at 6:45 AM (CDT)

Gollum is pissed that his 40 gig 3G will not have multiple playlists or one click shuffle.  He threw it into the cracks of doom himself.

Posted by my precious on July 20, 2004 at 6:53 AM (CDT)

“If you bought a new car and the next year that same model came with new features, would you people get all bent out of shape”

It’s the software, stupid. Cars are (mostly) hardware.

The “improvements” to the iPod over the past couple of years have been classic Apple: pureluy cosmetic, and ancillary. They tinker with the battery and hard disk suppliers, while modifying the software but crippling the updater to it will only add the “latest” features to the most recent iPods.

This is the key issue. The 4G iPods are still using the same PortalPlayer OS as the 1G iPods - Apple could add all the software enhancements to all iPods across the board.

But it choses not to. In fact, it takes extra effort to deliberately program the updater to scan for particular iPod models and bar them from updates.

That is deliberate discrimination.

Posted by Software on July 20, 2004 at 9:48 AM (CDT)

The upsetting thing is not that Apple left 3G owners in the dark, but that they essentially released a firmware update and the only way to get it was by paying $300+ for it.

These 4G iPods are a joke.  Sure, the clickwheel may be nice, but there is nothing new about these other than the firmware! When the 3rd Gens were introduced, there were some considerable differences (all touch sensitive buttons, dock connectors, line out, storage size, etc) worth justifying buying a new iPod.

The 4Gens use the same battery as every other iPod only programmed better to give it longer life.  Why on earth would you keep your paying customers from enjoying your product longer?

If Apple wanted to boost 4th quarter sales they should have dropped prices of the 3rd Gen 20gb and 40gb to $299 and $399.  Then release an update to EVERY iPod owner to increase their battery life.  Think about how much press that would have received, lowering prices and addressing the battery issue.  Instead, they announced a 4th gen iPod that’s basically the same as the previous version with a couple extra features and longer battery life…nothing worth getting excited over.

Posted by Ryan on July 20, 2004 at 10:06 AM (CDT)

Just to let everyone know, in a couple days I’ll have a petition online for Apple to bring the new click-wheel to my 3G!  I mean, why should the 4G owners have all the fun with a new input system?  I want Apple to remove the four buttons on my 3G and replace it with a clickwheel.  Is that too much to ask!?!  I just want a clickwheel.

Now that I’ve got your attention :)

I’ve had my 3G for about a year, maybe a little less.  When I bought my 3G, as many have already pointed out on this forum, I saw the same software-update complaints being raised about the 2G.

Even though they don’t expressly say it on their site, the unwritten rule is that APPLE WILL NOT UPDATE YOUR SOFTWARE WITH NEW FEATURES.  From what I can tell, the only time software updates are really used for older iPods are when:

1. Something is actually broken (for instance, maybe we find out that all 3G iPods have the weird habit of infinitely looping ABBA songs if you were foolish enough to put them on your iPod).  *Note: I use ABBA as an example only, this is not to support nor refute the idea that ABBA is a bad band.

2. The update creates better compatibility with the ITMS.

3. Apple introduces a new codec.  I’m pretty sure the update for Apple Lossless encoding was available to all models of iPods including 1rst and 2nd gen.

Barring those three circumstances, Apple isn’t going to change your firmware to support new features.  It just isn’t going to happen.  Ever.  4G users will experience this next year when the new “telepathy induced” 5G ipod becomes available.  The 5G users will experience it when the “DNA enhanced” 6G iPod comes out, etc.

So, if you buy an iPod, great!  If you buy a Rio, great!  If you buy an Archos… well, okay.  But anyway you look at it or try to petition it, this is how the iPod is marketed and sold.  I personally happen to love the iPod compared to the rest of the market.  I would welcome new features for my 3G, but I’m not going to loose any sleep over not having a shuffle option on my main menu.  A longer battery life would be nice, but I also like the 1 hour fast charge that my 3G gets.  4G owners have to wait 2 hours.

Posted by Zim on July 20, 2004 at 11:59 AM (CDT)

My guess is that the increased battery life is the result of more memory. The mini has more memory than the 3G, and the 4G has the same amount as the mini. Not upgradeable.

Posted by Questioner on July 20, 2004 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

Posted by Questioner on July 20, 2004 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

I’m not going to get so upset about 3G users not getting the new firmware either.. seriously, what would the point of a “new” iPod be if all the older ones, apart from in looks, were all the same? Thats not really how a company that wants to make money is going to work.. I guess.

Posted by Sypher on July 20, 2004 at 12:32 PM (CDT)

Now that I’ve got your attention :)

2. The update creates better compatibility with the ITMS.

So, if you buy an iPod, great!  If you buy a Rio, great!  If you buy an Archos… well, okay.  But anyway you look at it or try to petition it, this is how the iPod is marketed and sold.  I personally happen to love the iPod compared to the rest of the market, and I would totally welcome new features for my 3G, but I’m not going to loose any sleep over not having a shuffle option on my main menu.  A longer battery life would be nice, but I also like the 1 hour fast charge that my 3G gets.  4G owners have to wait 2 hours.

Posted by Zim on July 20, 2004 at 12:36 PM (CDT)

“The 4Gens use the same battery as every other iPod only programmed better to give it longer life.”

I wouldn’t be sure until we see a dissection on this website. There are higher mAH cells in that form factor available, and in fact you can buy them for 3G iPods if you are unafraid of taking apart your iPod and mucking about. They add a couple of hours on to the typical battery life.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a combination of extra RAM (for non-random, sequential playlists), better hard disk management, and a new higher capacity cell.

Posted by Battery on July 20, 2004 at 3:49 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >