iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple has now released iPod Updater 2005-06-26, which includes iPod Software 1.2 for “iPod with color display,” iPod software 3.1 for iPod with Click Wheel and iPod software 1.4 for iPod mini. The company said the update contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-03-23 for all other iPod models. According to the brief release notes, iPod Updater 2005-06-26 adds integration with iTunes 4.9 for downloading and listening to podcasts.

« Apple quietly cuts 1GB iPod shuffle price

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods »

Comments

Lemme guess; it breaks compatibility with RealPlayer 10.5 again.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 28, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

So this “adds integration with iTunes 4.9 for downloading and listening to podcasts” does that mean that Shuffles and 3G and earlier models don’t have this?

Or is it just that the other iPods support the more advanced features like the enhanced podcasts?

Posted by robroe in Manchester, UK on June 28, 2005 at 7:21 AM (PDT)

Well without the new firmware, there will be no bookmarking of mp3 podcasts. Aside from that I guess they will work.

But how can recent iPod mini users upgrade to 1.4, when they have no AC power supplies?

Posted by Magic Rabbits in Aberdeen, Scotland on June 28, 2005 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

Welcome to the end-of-the-line for the 3G models.  Had to happen sometime, but it seems like an arbitrary decision by Apple; I can’t imagine that there’s any difference between a Podcast and an Audiobook.

Posted by thenightfly42 on June 28, 2005 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

Podcasts work just fine on a 3G after using the updater. Look under Music -> Playlists you’ll see a playlist for Podcasts (if you have downloaded some).

Still waiting on the 5G or something really cool to make me want to replace my 3G…

Posted by Ptero on June 28, 2005 at 7:57 AM (PDT)

But are the podcasts bookmarkable on the 3g’s?

Posted by krustylew on June 28, 2005 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

I’ve gotten mp3 audiobooks to work on my 3G by converting them to AAC in iTunes and then changing the extention to “.m4b” on the file. After that, it remembered my place.

The same thing mighht work for the podcasts. That is, if it doesn’t already work on the 3G iPods (Which it should anyway, Apple!).

Posted by MrBlank on June 28, 2005 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

My 3G is not bookmarking podcasts.  It also does not show a “podcasts” item in the main Music menu, as is displayed on the Apple web pages.

They simply show up in a Podcast genre, which is how I’ve organized them in the past.  Otherwise, I can’t determine any difference in the latest iPod updater on my 3G.

Posted by bignumbers on June 28, 2005 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

My 3g plays podcasts just fine, but no bookmarking.  I’m still on the old old firmware, though (before they updated it with “music” menu”

Podcasts just shows up as a playlist in playlists.

Posted by Cameron Talley on June 28, 2005 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

Just to be sure. There isn’t really a 5th Generation out yet, right? The 4th Generation came out last year and the Photo was just a subset within that 4th Generation. I keep seeing people call this a 5th Generation. I say there needs to be a drastic change (Like the physical change from 4 buttons around a wheel, to 4 buttons above the wheel, to the current click wheel)

Posted by croooow on June 28, 2005 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Wish I’d known that (on Windows) you will need to plug the iPod into a wall charger to complete the updater process. At least that is what my 20gb clickwheel prompted me to do (even displayed a photo of the wall adapter).

I’d have updated later, now I have to wait to be a home to get to my wall charger.

Feh.

Posted by PromoGuy on June 28, 2005 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

should I have to do a restore in order to update my ipod? I really dont want to… it says my ipod needs an update but doesnt highlight the button!

Posted by cshores on June 28, 2005 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

my 4G 20GB b&w ipod isnt showing a podcast playlist either (and i subscribed to 4 of them!) ...dunno whats up with that

Posted by nicole l. on June 28, 2005 at 1:47 PM (PDT)

It isn’t supposed to appear as a playlist, it appears as a submenu directly under “Music”.

Posted by henrrrik on June 28, 2005 at 2:29 PM (PDT)

When I attempted to update my 3G ipod, it said that it was at version 2.3, which is currently up to date. So when I booted up the iPod, there was no Podcast menu anywhere to be found. I can only imagine this to mean the 3G does not have this “feature”.

Posted by Jeff C. on June 28, 2005 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

ok i see it now…i had disabled the “music” option on my main menu, which is why i didnt see it before…thanks henrrrick

Posted by nicole l. on June 28, 2005 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

What happened to tetris? I thought people were saying it would probably be released on the next iPod Updater? Oh, right…. probably.

Posted by Ben S. on June 28, 2005 at 5:06 PM (PDT)

The update also makes Album Art the 3rd function of the select button while playing songs.

They figured out that people seek through songs more frequently than they view album art.

Posted by non_zero on June 28, 2005 at 5:08 PM (PDT)

non_zero i was just about to mention that, it was the only new thing besides podcasts that I noticed

Posted by M Bargo in Chicago, IL on June 28, 2005 at 11:03 PM (PDT)

I used the show_voltage_ hack on my iPod photo, now I applied the 6-26 updater and show_voltage doesn´t work anymore. Can anyone help please?

Posted by garden on June 29, 2005 at 12:10 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >