iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released | iLounge News

iPod Updater 2005-06-26 released

Apple has now released iPod Updater 2005-06-26, which includes iPod Software 1.2 for “iPod with color display,” iPod software 3.1 for iPod with Click Wheel and iPod software 1.4 for iPod mini. The company said the update contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-03-23 for all other iPod models. According to the brief release notes, iPod Updater 2005-06-26 adds integration with iTunes 4.9 for downloading and listening to podcasts.

« Apple quietly cuts 1GB iPod shuffle price

Apple simplifies iPod lineup, adds color screens to all full-size iPods »

Comments

It seems that this new update completely removes auto-update of Smart Playlists on the iPod itself.

This is very, very bad!

Posted by Palmin on June 29, 2005 at 9:14 AM (CDT)

After a night of tinkering it looks like the only support of Podcasts on 3G machines is that they will be lumped into a playlist along with all your Music.

Why go to all the trouble to support Audiobooks as a separate audio type (inc high-level menu, bookmarking, etc.) and then completely ignore Podcasts.

It is quite unfortunate to hear all this information and marketing only to realize that 3Gers are now 2nd class citizens - watch out black-and-white 4Gers, you are next.

Posted by bruce-man on June 29, 2005 at 10:38 AM (CDT)

I’ve just confirmed on my 60gig iPod that live updating of Smart Playlists no longer works. THIS IS VERY BAD. Apple is saying that it never worked <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61686> but I know I’m not crazy.

Any ideas on how to get this back? Is it possible to go back to the previous software version? I trashed the last updater. I was managing my podcasts just fine w/out Apple’s help.

Posted by Meg St. Clair on June 29, 2005 at 12:28 PM (CDT)

I can attest to that! I used to rate my songs directly on the iPod, and they would appear in their corresponding Smart Playlists immediately, but now they don’t. I have to connect it to the computer to have it updated. This sucks!

I just wasted half an hour on this, 15 minutes trying update my iPod, and 15 trying to fix it afterwards! First it wouldn’t let me click on update, then after a reboot and many reconnections, it finally updated, only to inform me that I need to connect it to a power source. I did that, and it updates, then tells me that I’m low on batteries and turns itself off, and hangs with an image of half a battery. It wouldn’t even accept a forced reboot until I pulled the plug. And now, I see a useless Podcast playlist that I could have just created by myself, and Smart Playlists that aren’t smart anymore. Oh, and iTunes won’t connect to the Music Store, so I can’t even take a look at the Podcast Directory. How wonderful!

Posted by oasisweb on June 29, 2005 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

the other thing that i noticed after updating my 4g is that the screen showing title, artist and album appears much more quickly after running the updater (as if they took the “wipe” transition away from that progression.

i’m really loving this podcasting support though.

Posted by john on June 29, 2005 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

Oh great, iTunes 4.9 for mac won’t update my FAT formatted iPod.

What a crock.

Posted by Rob on June 29, 2005 at 3:47 PM (CDT)

has this update addressed and fixed the scroll lag issue facing click wheels of 2g minis?  i hope so.  if not, i suspect the scroll lag issue is a hardware issue, afterall.

Posted by Michael on June 29, 2005 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

Meg: You’re not crazy. I just noticed this, myself, after you brought it up. I’m not happy about it, but I can live with it.

Posted by Likelife on June 29, 2005 at 5:27 PM (CDT)

Meg, I didn’t update my 30g iPod Photo it’s still on the v.1.1 released in March.  And I can confirm that the smart playlists are smart.  Most of my smart playlists utilize the not played in the last day so that songs scroll off.  And they do that just fine.  So, not crazy at all, the ability was(is) there.

I don’t know if you can reinstall the old software, but I can tell you that with the 2005-03-23 software I DO have the podcast playlist on the iPod Photo so there was no real reason to update an iPod Photo at all.

Whatever Apple claims, the 2005-03-23 supported live updating on the iPod, so since yesterday’s new software doesn’t, the update DOES NOT CONTAIN the same software versions as iPod Updater 2005-03-23 for all other iPod models.

Posted by M.E. on June 29, 2005 at 9:12 PM (CDT)

Does anyone know how to make the podcasting section of your ipod “play all” instead of stopping after each podcaster (each seperate podcast artist, not within the one podcast) has finished? It’s annoying to take it out of my pocket every time to change to a new podcast.

Thanks, Ben

Posted by Bennymarsh on June 29, 2005 at 9:19 PM (CDT)

i cant figure out how to update my ipod. I download the update and hook up my ipod, but i do not know what to do next. My ipod mini still shows version 1.3 can anybody help me please, this is my first ipod and i have never used a firmware update

Posted by ArjunGandhi on June 29, 2005 at 10:28 PM (CDT)

I just downloaded itunes 4.9 and started playing the podcasts.  When I hit the play button the pause button does not appear as when playing songs.  A stop button appears instead.  So if you need to stop the podcast when you hit the play button again you start at the beginning instead of where you left off.  Is this correct?  Are you experiencing the same thing? Thanks for your help.

Posted by Ken on June 29, 2005 at 10:28 PM (CDT)

My ipod mini still shows 1.3 as the current version, and doesn’t give me the option to update. But, I still get a ‘podcasts’ menu when there’s podcasts on there.

Posted by Matt on June 30, 2005 at 12:12 AM (CDT)

OK, I’ve updated my 30 Gb iPod Photo to 2005-06-26 and my iTunes to 4.9. However, now I see NO OPTION for adding photos to my iPod. It may just be me, but this was just one of the obvious choices under preferences previously. Where do I go now to select and/or update the photos on my iPod?

Posted by Rick on June 30, 2005 at 9:55 AM (CDT)

After updating my 4G click wheel I can no longer play back voice memos recorded with my iTalk.

Posted by Doug on June 30, 2005 at 10:26 AM (CDT)

Not only do the smart playlists not work aymore, but the thing still freezes on some mono m4b files.  Boo.

Posted by Tony on June 30, 2005 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

Yep, after the update on my 4G Click Wheel iPod, the play counts, last played date etc does not get updated on the iPod.

The Smart Playlist is THE THING for me for using the iPod. So I did a factory reset (Restore option when you execute iPod updater) and reloaded all the tracks. And now everything works as before.

So probably we have to wait until Apple fixes this issue before getting the podcasting option in our iPods.

BTW, I am surprised about the information at

The real feature of the Smartplaylist was the ability to autoupdate in the iPod. Now Apple is saying a different story.

However this article seems to have been removed from Apple’s website a few hours back. When I read Meg St. Clair’s comments here, the page was there but not anymore.

Posted by jk on June 30, 2005 at 9:01 PM (CDT)

If you do a search at Apple’s web site, the page gets listed, but the actual page does not exist.

Posted by jk on June 30, 2005 at 9:03 PM (CDT)

Some good news: The smart playlist problem has been acknowledged by an Apple Employee, and he also tells the reason why the 61686 article was removed: It only applied to an *old* version of the iPod software! So there’s still hope!

Posted by Palmin on July 1, 2005 at 4:16 AM (CDT)

Forgot the link to the posting from the Apple employee:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?[email protected]@.68b36fa3/20

Posted by Palmin on July 1, 2005 at 4:17 AM (CDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 >