iPod updater brings new features to iPod mini users | iLounge News

iPod updater brings new features to iPod mini users

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, November 18, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Apple today released iPod Updater 2004-11-15, which includes iPod mini Software 1.2 for iPod mini and iPod software 3.0.2 for Click Wheel iPods. This update brings the following to iPod mini: compatibility with iTunes 4.7; the ability to create and delete multiple On-The-Go playlists; the ability to shuffle and play your song library with one click; an option to select reading playback speed for audiobooks; the ability to hear Click Wheel clicker through headphones; and improved disconnect performance when syncing. iPod Updater 2004-11-15 offers compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and improved USB 2.0 connectivity for Click Wheel iPods. Apple said this update contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2004-10-20 for all other iPod models.

« iLounge adds staff, new features

Gadget Accessories intros new iPod products »

Comments

Why is it that Apple hasn’t given us faithful 3G iPod owners these new features that the other iPods have?  Now that they’ve added the shuffle songs and playlist saving abilities to the iPod mini, I’m convinced that my 3G iPod should be able to do it as well.

Where’s the love?

Posted by clarencepk in United States on November 18, 2004 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

i have a 4G but i think just updating the mini is seriously uncool

Posted by Exvicious in Schaumburg, IL on November 18, 2004 at 1:08 PM (PDT)

“improved USB 2.0 connectivity for Click Wheel iPods” (presumably including Photo models?)

I have firewire, but I used the USB cable on my PowerBook for synching so that I could use the FW cable and my dock over by my stereo. Why not use both cables? But I had some photo-synching weirdness, and it went away when I used the FW cable. Maybe this update fixes some issue like that.

Posted by Nagromme on November 18, 2004 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

Jeff3 - Keep in mind that the mini came out before the G4, this update is giving the mini’s the same functions as your G4 pod. With my G3 15 gig being left out. I feel sad :(

Posted by Casual in CA on November 18, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

And it deleted IpodDownload functionability

Posted by mikemac on November 18, 2004 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

Just installed the update - now can access the ipods menu while connected to the computer (thru the dock)

Posted by Bob_the_Golfer on November 18, 2004 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

Gutted.  I know I can’t expect the 3G ipod to be continuely updated from when I purchased it.  However, lets face it, there hasn’t been a single update for the player that has been significant since it was released.  OOOhh I’ve had the performance of my player improved, my ar*e.  Yes,  I remember when 1 & 2G owners were also moaning about no updates but the fact remains that I believe we could have had an update that actually alters the functionality of the 3G iPod.  All I recall getting was the ability to use the bl**dy music store.  Cheers

Posted by whitless in London on November 18, 2004 at 3:16 PM (PDT)

I hate Apple more and more every time they screw us.

I own THREE iPods.  All of them would have been replaced in the next year with the newest models if I trusted Apple at all.

As long as they refuse to even FIX THE BUGS on the 3G models, I will never spend another thin dime with this craptastically arrogant company.

Posted by stark23x on November 18, 2004 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

Mini owners… don’t forget you’ll need to connect your mini to a wall outlet for the firmware update. Have your a/c adapter handy.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on November 18, 2004 at 3:40 PM (PDT)

Well I’ll be d a m n e d,

I just installed it on my 4G 40Gb and my clickweel does not work anymore…

Apple care, you better fix this quick !!!

: (

Posted by Ipodium in montreal on November 18, 2004 at 3:41 PM (PDT)

why did you update your 4G when the only new stuff was for minis?
honestly i need more games.
and maybe an intro mode cause frankly there’s too much music to listen to in one sitting.

Posted by AlphaUltima in San Jose on November 18, 2004 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Own the mini with the BMW adapter, but it says the BMW adapter works with the 1.1 version and can’t guarantee any other version of the software. If i do download this version and install it, is it a hassle to return it to 1.1?

Posted by LTM on November 18, 2004 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

The way I see it, it’s pretty simple:

1. It costs Apple something to test and support additional models of iPod with new features—even if they’re the same inside (which I don’t think they quite are). Adding features to the 3Gs isn’t free for Apple.

2. iPods aren’t sold or marketed with the promise of future features (unlike a conventional computer platform). An iPod does what it does and keeps on doing it—like an appliance. Sometimes Apple adds something—it’s a technical possibility—but they don’t promise you that. I have an iPod Photo, and Apple’s materials never suggested to me that I’ll be getting 5G features next year. I don’t count on that happening. The iPod’s worth it to me for what it does now.

3. Apple is selling a device to make money. In this case, the device has software and an OS inside, not just physical parts. So new and improved versions might differ largely on the software side. That doesn’t mean Apple’s not in the business of selling those software features. They’re selling iPods and the features thereof, and giving some of that away is not always a good business move.

4. The decision for Minis is different because Minis are still in the currently-selling product line.

5. But OF COURSE I’ll want new features when they come out. Anyone would. What’s wrong with 3G owners being disappointed, and venting that disappointment? There’s something they want, and maybe could have had, and they’re not getting it. Nobody’s going to like that. Just because Apple’s “in the right” to make their business choices doesn’t mean 3G owners aren’t ALSO “in the right” to complain. I’ll complain when my iPod Photo doesn’t get new features, even though I CAN see Apple’s position.

6. And as always, with anything you wish Apple did differently, don’t forget to complain here—in detail, with reasons: http://apple.com/feedback (Possible reason: tell them you really would be MORE likely to buy a new iPod if older ones got more feature updates, because it would show Apple’s commitment to great products. But for me, honestly, giving away features to me next year or the year after will make me LESS likely to buy a new iPod—so I can’t personally make that case to Apple.)

Posted by Nagromme on November 18, 2004 at 8:02 PM (PDT)

Come one, Apple!  Make the update available for everyone, 1G-4G iPods.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 18, 2004 at 11:05 PM (PDT)

So I installed the update on my 4G 40GB iPod. Now under the settings menu, the “EQ” menu option does not show the currently chosen EQ setting. i.e. the menu would show “EQ - Rock >”, you could quickly see which setting was in effect. Now it just shows “EQ   >”. You actualy have to go into the EQ menu to see which EQ setting is being used.

Just a little thing, but kinda annoying….

Posted by mattcrane in Virginia, USA on November 19, 2004 at 3:18 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know why the updater is only offering my 15GB ipod the “restore” function?  I only want to update, not restore, but it’s not allowing me that option.

I used to use this ipod on a pc and have recenntly switched to mac - not sure if that has anything to do with this.  But it’s been working fine before this.

Posted by tea on November 19, 2004 at 4:58 AM (PDT)

tea: the update isn’t for your iPod. It’s for 4G and mini’s only. Your iPod has the most update-to-date software, which isn’t this new update.

Posted by kainjow on November 19, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

@stark23x

APPLE ROCKS!!!

Posted by Quoth_the_Raven in Herndon, VA on November 19, 2004 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

Well hang on just a little second. This update includes a fix too. Namely the fix for OK To Disco. The bug that was introduced to the 3G on it’s 2nd update which prevents you from using the iPod in the dock easily.
Why hasn’t this been fixed for 3G as it has for 4G. It’s not a new feature as the original software on the 3G did not have the bug - yet the latest patches are required for iTMS connectivity.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on November 19, 2004 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Sigh Apple Tech Support just said that it will fix the issue on 3G. And then I pointed out that the update includes 3G ver 2.2 which I have had for many months.
Idiots…

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on November 19, 2004 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >