iPod updater brings new features to iPod mini users | iLounge News

iPod updater brings new features to iPod mini users

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, November 18, 2004
News Categories: iPod

Apple today released iPod Updater 2004-11-15, which includes iPod mini Software 1.2 for iPod mini and iPod software 3.0.2 for Click Wheel iPods. This update brings the following to iPod mini: compatibility with iTunes 4.7; the ability to create and delete multiple On-The-Go playlists; the ability to shuffle and play your song library with one click; an option to select reading playback speed for audiobooks; the ability to hear Click Wheel clicker through headphones; and improved disconnect performance when syncing. iPod Updater 2004-11-15 offers compatibility with iTunes 4.7 and improved USB 2.0 connectivity for Click Wheel iPods. Apple said this update contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2004-10-20 for all other iPod models.

« iLounge adds staff, new features

Gadget Accessories intros new iPod products »

Comments

It’s simple. The Mini and 4G both use the same processor and an update to one should be easily implemented in the other. The 3G and earlier models use a older processor. While I would like to see the continued support of discontinued products, the change in processor makes this non-trivial.

Posted by Monk on November 19, 2004 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

I don’t care about new features.  I JUST WANT APPLE TO FIX THE BUGS.

Apple has proven time and time again they simply don’t care about he consumer once they have your money.  and sychophantic fanboys keep taking it in the backside over oand over, telling Jobs it’s OK to jerk the consumer around…we don;t care, we’ll reward you with blind loyalty, Steve.

No mas.

FIX THE 3G BUGS, APPLE.

Posted by stark23x on November 19, 2004 at 9:16 AM (PDT)

There’s no way that the PortalPlayer chipsets are tied to discrete CPU hardware.

Instead you can bet your bottom dollar they use an abstracted hardware layer and a convenient API interface to access it. Otherwise every minor stepping revision in the ARM would necessitate a new and different firmware for each product.

So your argument does not hold water. Apple denyies feature updates to older iPods because it wants people to buy new iPods. If I was an evil soul-sucking corporation devoted to wringing every last penny out of consumers that’s what I’d do as well.

Lucky I’m not.

Posted by Demosthenes on November 19, 2004 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

they seem to be favoring there click wheels…bastards

Posted by todd2fst4u in San Jose, CA USA on November 19, 2004 at 1:51 PM (PDT)

Come one, Apple!  The iPod is too much of an investment for consumers for it to be obsolete every year when a new version comes out.  The 1G ipod should have the same functionality as the 4G.  I don’t see a real reason why it shouldn’t.  Make the updates available for all platforms.

I’m a PC user so I have a question: How often does Apple update its Mac OS?  I hear they charge for their updates.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 19, 2004 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Talking Madness: About once a year at over a hundred bucks per update, retail.

Posted by stark23x on November 19, 2004 at 10:00 PM (PDT)

For EU iPod’s this update is BAD news. At least for those of you who have uncapped the volume limit.

The update will restore the volume cap and it can no longer be removed with goPod/iMod

Posted by sehested in Denmark on November 19, 2004 at 11:28 PM (PDT)

OS X ‘updates’ are free. Those are minor versions (i.e. from 10.3.4 to 10.3.5). But major versions like from OS 9 to OS X or from OS X 10.2 to 10.3 costs money. Windows upgrades cost money as well (even ME from 98).

At least OS X isn’t swarmed with the activation crap XP/2K3 has. Mind you, I use both operating systems. I just like how Apple doesn’t use serial numbers/activation with their OS.

Mind you it’s not the number of users I don’t think. Look at MS Office for Mac; it can’t have more users than the OS itself. Yet MS not only has serial numbers, but the same serial number can’t be used on more than 1 comp on a network simultaneously (It will tell you it’s in use on the network on startup if you try to run it on 2 together).

Posted by oplex on November 20, 2004 at 2:37 AM (PDT)

I just woke up from the iPod in my dock connected from my speakers. Is it just me or has the music just started by it self in alarm clock mode? It might have been a glitch but my iPod did one chime from the “beep” setting and then started playing music…

Is this something new (I did restore my iPod even though update was not available.) even when they say it isn’t?

Posted by Casual in CA on November 20, 2004 at 6:49 AM (PDT)

Oplex…

98 to 2000 or XP was a version update, i.e. 4.0 to 5.0, not a dot update i.e. 4.5 to 4.6

Apple charging $100 for a dot update is a bit much…but then again…

style over substance….reality distortion field setting in…..  ;~/

Posted by jimlat on November 20, 2004 at 7:19 AM (PDT)

Jimlat, those are names. ME could very well be called 98.1 in terms of it’s difference from 98SE. Why does MS charge to go from XP Home to XP Pro? Isn’t that a “point update”?

10.0 to 10.1 was a major update since 10.0 was virtually unusable (and that one was free!). 10.1 to 10.2 was an ok update, and 10.2 to 10.3 was a toss up. But I haven’t had to buy any since I’ve gotten liscenses with new machines.

I dont agree that 129 a year is right, but they’re starting to space out their releases. Tiger is coming out in a few months when if they had stuck to 1 OS a year, they would have released it in september. Longhorn isn’t even coming out until…. well, while MS futzes over when they’re gonna get Longhorn out, Apple is releasing a few more updates to their OS to stay ahead of nonexisting competition. Fun!

Posted by vvedge on November 20, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

My previous comment about this update being BAD for EU iPod’s was a mistake.

The update will restore the volume cap but it can easily be removed again with goPod/iMod

Posted by sehested in Denmark on November 21, 2004 at 12:27 AM (PDT)

Apple seems to be about residual income from its customers.  I won’t be surprised if their solution isn’t to simply start charging for iPod updates.  I could see them charging $29.95 to update an older iPod, or starting some kind of subscription service to keep your iPod up to date for a year.

I’m not going to pay to get a few added feature.  As far as I’m concerned my iPod mini worked fine out of the box.

This strategy of residual income is already being done in the form of extended service plans, and “.mac” seems to be a way to get a few more bucks out of customers.

Antivirus software companies started doing this about a year ago.  They sell you a program and for one year you get free virus updates.  After a year, you have a choice of either paying for the new updates or simply buying the current version of the program.

To its credit, I don’t see Microsoft hitting its customers up quite as much as Apple or other manufacturers.  If I can remember correctly Windows XP came out three years ago in 2001 and they haven’t charged for an update yet.  It doesn’t look like they will be charging for an update until Longhorn comes out in 2006.  That’s five years of free updates.  I wish all tech companies were as liberal with their updates.

Posted by Talking Madness in Los Angeles on November 21, 2004 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

one small thing i noticed after the update for my 4G ipod was the speed for changing the ratings of a song.  Before it seemed to sensitive to touch, now it seems to take a little more scroll to get each rating level up.  Anybody else notice this too?

Posted by LinkinJunior on November 22, 2004 at 5:57 AM (PDT)

LinkinJunior: you’re right - the rating feature is not as sensitive as it was before - a good thing I guess. Although, I haven’t found much use for ratings yet.

Posted by Mattitude in New York, NY on November 29, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2