iPod2Car Adaptor released | iLounge News

iPod2Car Adaptor released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, October 21, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picMulti Technology Equipment has released the iPod2Car Adaptor for controlling your iPod with your car’s factory radio. The iPod2Car allows you to control your iPod’s Next, Previous, Fast Forward & Fast Rewind functions using your car’s radio. The adaptor fits all iPods with dock connectors, is available for most major car models and costs $189.99.

« Older iTunes versions denied iTMS access

Analyst says flash-based iPod by Christmas »

Comments

Although it does seem a little expensive, I think it is a great idea.  Now I don’t have to buy a BWM to integrate my Polar White iPod with my Polar White scion XB

Posted by WirelessDJ on October 22, 2004 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

What about the Alpine car radio iPod adapter. From my visit to their website I got this:
*Chargers the iPod while in use
*It has a display of whats playing
*It gives you the same iPod remote control options.
and doesn’t it come with cradle?

Posted by xCSARSx in Fall River on October 22, 2004 at 6:47 PM (PDT)

Yeah but the Alpine setup is really expensive.  A head unit is atleast $200 and you need that adapter thing which is another $100.

Posted by Jack on October 23, 2004 at 4:46 AM (PDT)

I am getting quite sick of all the high-priced accessories that come for the ipod.  These companies are taking full-advantage of the consumers and this product is NO WHERE near what the actual item is worth.  I talked to someone that works for the company and he told me it only costs $5 to make.  People…you can control your ipod with your ipod…don’t buy this piece of crap. Save the $189 and put that money towards your next ipod.

Posted by Rob on October 23, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

two thoughts…

first on the ipod2car adapter. it seems to only list compatibility for factory stereos. what about after market stereos like most people have? Wonder how it would work with my sony that also displays text.

now about the apline set up I’ve heard that it runs slow and will only allow you up to 255 playlists(artists).

Posted by Cat on October 23, 2004 at 4:30 PM (PDT)

I JUST ORDERED HE IPOD2CAR, CAN’T WAIT TO SEE IF IT WORKS? I REALLY LIKE MY FACTORY STEREO AND THINK THIS IS THE WAY TO GO. I WOULD HAVE ORDERED THE AUX POD FROM PAC, BUT IT WAS BACKORDERED. I THINK A CREATIVE PERSON COULD DUPLICATE THIS THING FOR ABOUT $80, BUT IT’S NOT WORTH THE TIME. IT IS THE PRICE OF CONVENIENCE!

Posted by SERALAN on October 25, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

in response to the question about after market stereos….

check the rear of your aftermarket stereo receiver to see if it has stereo or AUX inputs.

i have an aiwa cd receiver, which has a front AUX input (i think all aiwa’s do), which was nice, but even nicer was when i discovered a stereo input in the rear.  i then snaked a $5 cord between the trim panels and connected it to a Belkin ipod car charger.  i bought a $7 cell phone holder that attaches to the front air vent, and my iPod fits perfectly.  a perfect setup, for less than $15.

if you are in the market for a new car stereo, check to see if it has stereo or AUX inputs.  call crutchfield or someone to make sure - my aiwa only advertised the front AUX, i only found out about the rear inputs by accident (using the rear inputs reduces cable clutter in the car).  i know clarions also have rear inputs.

if you want pics, let me know!

Posted by GIsH on October 25, 2004 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

DO NOT buy this “product”!
I purchased this last month after
verifying by e-mail that it would work with my Japanese Prius. The respresentative informed that “it would work fine”.
Well, when I went to the Toyota dealer to have it installed they removed the stereo and tried to connect it using the harness that was stipulated. However, the harness did not fit into the connector port. When I inquired about this to the company they made it sound like I had done something wrong and offered no advice on what to do.I then asked the Toyota dealer to look into the matter and we found another adapter that allowed us to hook up the device but it proved to be completely non-functionable. I asked the iPod2Car people for my money back including shipping and the cost of the cable and have yet to recieve an answer ANY of my 3 mails.
This is a scam! Stay away from this thing like the plaque!

Posted by Thommig in Japan on November 1, 2004 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

I installed iPod2car about two weeks ago. It was easy to install and the sound is fantastic!  The difference in the sound quality between the ipod2car and my previous method of routing it out of the headphone jack and through an fm modulator patched into the antennae cable is stunning.  This alone makes it worth the price even if the other features seem a little unimpressive.  I have a factory head unit in a Dodge Dakota which has all the features I need.  I put the money I had into an Alpine power amp and component speakers and this ipod2car was just what the doctor ordered.  The FM modulator, which was the only thing I had at the time, was a huge disappointment in sound quality when I initially installed it.  If you have a good factory sound system, or an enhanced one such as mine that will accept the ipod2car - GET IT. You’ll be glad you did.

Posted by asdfjkl on November 11, 2004 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

I recently had this unit installed in my 2003 Chevy Impala. Long story short; if you drive a Chevy DO NOT purchase this unit. (Note: this unit is now called IPOD2CAR.) The unit drained my battery dead twice. PAC was nice enough to send me a newer replacement unit, but, it drained by battery even faster. It’s all been removed, and I’m out all the installation fees. Perhaps it works better in other manufacturers’ cars, but stay away if you drive a Chevy!

Posted by SteveE on February 11, 2005 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

I bought the iPod2Car a few months ago.  I own an Audi A6 with Changer.  I hooked it up to the changer connector in the trunk until I could get the install done by a professional.  I was a little afaid of running the 12 foot cable up into the front myself.  When I got it to the installer they ended up hooking it up to the head unit itself with one of the other connectors that came with the kit. Slick! The unit has always worked and sounded fantastic, steering wheel controls work great!  BUT… I am hunting the entire globe for someone who makes that iPod car dock unit.  Hate plugging the damn thing in every time!  TuneCup looked like the answer as it is a true docking unit.  Bought it and plugged in the iPod2car connector… nothing but static!!!  Ahhhhhhhh!!!  It must not be a straight passthru?  Does anyone know of a CAR DOCK UNIT that would work with the iPod2Car connector?

Posted by RickW on February 12, 2006 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2