iPod+iTunes notes from Apple’s Q3 conference call
During Apple’s third quarter conference call with analysts today, company executives discussed a number of iPod and iTunes related topics. Below are highlights from the call. See our previous story for Apple’s third quarter earnings and iPod shipment numbers.
- The iPod accounts for over 75% of the U.S. market for MP3 players.
- The iPod is the top-selling MP3 player in Canada, Australia, the U.K., France, Spain, Italy and Japan, according to the latest data from NPD, GFK and BCN.
- The iTunes Music Store now accounts for 85% of the digital music market, based on data from Nielsen SoundScan.
- The iTunes Music Store now offers over 3 million songs, 9,000 music videos and over 150 TV shows.
- Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said the company is “investing heavily in iPod and iTunes engineering and is very enthusiastic about products in the pipeline.”
- Apple now has nearly 40,000 distribution points for the iPod worldwide.
- Apple is getting more aggressive with iPod marketing efforts outside the U.S.
- When asked about mobile phones, Oppenheimer said, “We don’t think that the phones that are available today make the best music players. We think the iPod is. But over time, that is likely to change, and we are not sitting around doing nothing.”
- Apple’s “other music products” had revenue of $457 million, up 90% year over year, because of “continued strong sales from the iTunes Music Store and very solid performance for iPod accessories.”
- Apple granted patent for camera lens mount
- Apple ‘related’ search spotted in App Store
- Apple releases iTunes 11.1.6 beta to employees
- Apple may remove Game Center app in iOS 8
- Some users reporting battery issues with iOS 7.1
- Healthbook, Preview, and TextEdit iOS 8 icons leaked
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iWatch poll ends, first accessory poll begins
- Hyundai bringing CarPlay to 2015 Sonata
- Apple agrees to anti-theft smartphone measures
- 8GB iPhone 5c launches in more European countries
- iPhone 6 metal mockups spotted at electronics show
- Alpine Electronics announces aftermarket CarPlay products
- Apps: A&E/History 2.0, Ally 3.0, Amazon Cloud Drive Photos 3.0 + Pandora 5.3
- Pioneer officially announces aftermarket CarPlay access
- iWatch: LG to supply flexible displays, September release?
- Alleged iPhone 6 front panel, batteries leaked
- Favi Swivel Screen Portfolio Case with Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad Air
- ChargerLeash Charge & Sync Smart Lightning Cable
- iWalk Sound Angle Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- iWalk Extreme 10,000 Duo Battery Pack
- Speck DuraFolio for iPad Air + iPad mini
- Hack Things Poppy 3D Camera for iPhone 4/4S/5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Tavik Hemings for iPad Air
- Spigen SGP GLAS.tR SLIM Privacy for iPhone 5/5c/5s
- Incipio [Performance] Armband for iPhone 5/5c/5s + iPod touch 5G
- Brookstone Perfect Drink App-Controlled Smart Bartending
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks
- Splitting purchased content between two iPads
- iLounge’s 2014 CES Best of Show Awards: iPad, iPhone, iPod + Mac
- Preview: 7 Big Apple Trends To Expect At The 2014 CES
- Non-Bluetooth Lightning dock speakers
- Shared Apple ID and switching away from iPhone
- Syncing multiple iCloud data with a family Mac