iPodlounge growth drives expansion, rebranding to iLounge | iLounge News

iPodlounge growth drives expansion, rebranding to iLounge

A Message from Dennis Lloyd, Publisher of iPodlounge

Back in 2001, I started iPodlounge as a place for iPod owners and admirers to learn about the world’s coolest invention. The idea was simple: create a friendly, relaxed lounge where good people could hang out and meet other good people.

In our first few months, hundreds of visitors checked out the site, telling their friends and families about both the iPod and iPodlounge. They kept coming back, so it’s no surprise that iPodlounge has grown. Now we have a community of over 65,000 forum members, over 3,000,000 visitors a month to our main site, comprehensive coverage of every iPod ever released (plus every major iPod accessory), and some of the most incredible photo galleries ever assembled. This past month, we had over 20,000,000 page views, and thanks to your readership, the numbers just keep going up.

Today I have some exciting news to share: iPodlounge is expanding. For years, we’ve been known around the world by our name and our famous tagline, “All Things iPod.? Now we’re changing the game. In the works for months, and effective today, we’re “All Things iPod, iTunes, and Beyond? - the iLounge.

Obviously, we’re not losing our focus on the iPod - the world’s best portable music player - but we have been quietly broadening our coverage to include even more of what Loungers want and need. You may have noticed that we have substantially enhanced our coverage of iTunes, the world’s best digital media software, with many additional tutorials and even greater attention to its recently expanded features. Now we are gearing up for what is about to be an even more exciting future.

As iPod lovers, we are strongly dedicated to providing the world’s best coverage of our favorite portable music players, but we also believe that the next stage of this phenomenon will be bigger than any one product Apple may produce. We want to be ready to cover what happens next - something bigger than headphones, playlists, or our current concepts of “iPod” encompass. So, going forward, all of our coverage of iPods, iTunes, and related products will appear under our new iLounge.com name, as the world’s premiere destination for independent information on all of Apple’s digital media initiatives. The old iPodlounge URL will continue to work for years, but from now on, new pages and our popular Buyers’ Guides will appear under the iLounge name.

I hope you’ll find the new name easy to remember, easier to type, and easiest to tell your friends about. Since we’ve been planning and quietly phasing in this expansion of the Lounge for quite some time, you won’t see any major changes that haven’t already taken place… until the next big thing is ready to happen. When it does, we’ll be ready, and we look forward to having you with us for the ride. Thank you for your support!

• Please add iLounge to your browser’s bookmarks.
  • Click here for our new RSS feed.
  • If you link to iPodlounge, please update to iLounge.com.

• « DLO debuts TransPod for iPod shuffle

Mix: Plantronics/Altec Lansing, Blogcast, London bombing »

Comments

oh no! change!
    complaints, while valid, are an inevitable part of any change.

Posted by snax on July 12, 2005 at 2:35 AM (PDT)

Well, I think you should keep it the way it is. Don’t like very much of the ideia of iLounge, iPodlounge is much a better name. Ahhhh I don’t know what to say…..kinda furious about this name change.

Whatever, you’re the owner of the website, do what you want. I suggest you create a poll and share this expansion with your visitors, if they agree to change the name to iLounge or keep it as it is.

This is the biggest and best website regarding iPod information, and all the reviews here are imparcial, always looking at   each and every detail.

I don’t think it’s necessary. Anyway, Cheers for the website.

Posted by SharedThink on July 12, 2005 at 2:48 AM (PDT)

While I think dropping the iPod portion of iPodlounge is a good business direction for them long term I would have gone to mLounge (mediaLounge) or something to that effect to reflect their business direction more so.

I am also sure that iPodlounge could have faught APPLE’s guide lines with use “non-gerneric words” http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html  but in a good business decision to get away from the word iPod (long term) is the best thing they could have done.  APPLE is not fooling anyone, we all know they are forcing all to change!

It seems we will be seeing alot of NAME CHANGING going on, just think of all those products and companies using “Pod” name and variations of it!

Posted by thoughoutbiz on July 12, 2005 at 3:41 AM (PDT)

My immediate reaction said this is a stupid idea. Now I like it a lot.

Posted by Daveoc64 on July 12, 2005 at 5:21 AM (PDT)

I think you guys are great! I’ve been coming to your site a few times a day for a couple of years now. (call me a sicko) I think it’s one of the most interesting things out there. Keep it up!

Posted by mvague on July 12, 2005 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

I don’t mind the name change, but I also do not like the explaination very much. The omissions are apparently there and we can only speculate what they mean. If it was simply a name change then we wouldn’t have to re-bookmark the site (they’d set the address to redirect).

Can we get more background on this? Even “we are not allowed to discuss this due to legal issues,” will at least give you readers valuable information.

Keep up the great work! I really enjoy your site.

Posted by LOE on July 12, 2005 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

I can see that iLounge is more generic, and this may mean it makes more business sense, but would people who google iPod scan down the list of results and pick ilounge or ipodlounge first?? I know which I would choose.

If these changes have been made due to legal pressures then I would have to say Apple are shooting themselves in the foot. I can understand why they wouldnt want everyone using “ipod” but “ipodlounge” must have made them a fair few dollars down the line, and helped create the ipod community and “Apple halo effect”.

Other than that I visit the site several times a day so it cant be all that bad can it smile

Posted by robertroe on July 12, 2005 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

I don’t care.

Posted by jm on July 12, 2005 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

This is a great idea, but make sure you change the alt text on pictures from all things ipod to the new tag line. Also the logos still link to ipodlounge.com

Posted by jgonino on July 12, 2005 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Do you guys realize that branding “iLounge” is a business risk. Don’t you agree that commercializing “iLounge” could be well worth millions in the future, like Yahoo, for example. Also, don’t you think that Apple will soon be interested in a website called iLounge that talks about iPods and iTunes??

This is an important decision for Dennis Loyd and the iLounge team. I bet they know what they’re doing. (Hmm.. now that I look at the new website design, I’m not so sure anymore…)

Anyways, good luck!

Posted by jetpilot on July 12, 2005 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

They said the name iPodLounge will ALSO work for years. Try it—it even still says iPodLounge at the site (for now). So Apple didn’t make them change it, Google will still find it, and you can still refer people to iPodLounge at will.

Big congratulations to iPodLounge/iLounge for creating a site with such passionate users that a simple name change generates such emotion. Insults and threats to leave over minor changes are not a bad thing—they are, in fact, a sign of loyalty that few companies achieve. (Although I know one other.)

Posted by Nagromme on July 12, 2005 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

I don’t like this!
    I’m used to iPodLounge! This IS dilution!
    Although I suppose that there’s absolutely NOTHING I, or anyone can do about it. F***.

Posted by Noah on July 12, 2005 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

People, this is the best place for everything iPod…and it’s FREE. We have no right to ##### and moan. They provide us with all this stuff for absolutely nothing. You shouldn’t be so quick to judge and think you’re an expert at branding or design or whatever because if you were, you wouldn’t have time to hang around here and post stupid comments.

Posted by Greg D. on July 12, 2005 at 9:28 AM (PDT)

Personally it maters not a bit to me. I will still come here for the news and information… and I’11 bet so will all the whiners! wink

Posted by dx on July 12, 2005 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Yeah it doesn’t bother me. If you go to ipodlounge.com and click on an article it will bring you to iloung.com and all the banners with ipodlounge on them are now ilounge.

Posted by Snakeyes17 on July 12, 2005 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

The amazing thing is how many people are in agony, not for their own sake, but for iPodLounge’s “own good.” Even if they’ve “diluted their brand” somehow, that hurts them more than us, doesn’t it?

Let’s check back in 6 months and see if the site somehow survives now that it has two names wink

There’s no business rule that says a slight name change is always a bad idea.

Posted by Nagromme on July 12, 2005 at 10:49 AM (PDT)

I don’t like the name change all that much; isn’t really necessary and I do think that iPodlounge had a better ‘ring’ to it. But then again, it’s not like I’m going to stop visiting this place, nor does it detract for the awesomeness/wonderful-osity of iLouge/iPodlounge, whatever it’s called wink

Posted by Carlos (Ink Noise) on July 12, 2005 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Meh, the name change isn’t that big of a deal—though I concur that I like iPodLounge more than iLounge. I wish you guys would go back to the old layout, though. Same thing with Pitchfork.

Sigh. New isn’t always better.

Posted by interior_decor on July 12, 2005 at 11:47 AM (PDT)

New isn’t always bad either… I had no trouble getting used to the new layout. I liked some things about the old, some about the new… but in the end, if I personally was improving the back end of a site, I’d certainly update the front end at the same time rather than waiting.

Posted by Nagromme on July 12, 2005 at 1:29 PM (PDT)

i hope you know what you’re doing.  ilounge doesn’t roll off the tongue as easily as ipodlounge.  it might seem like a small change, but it affects the entire attitude of the website.  ilounge just sounds less authorative.

Posted by chris on July 12, 2005 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >