iPodlounge growth drives expansion, rebranding to iLounge | iLounge News

iPodlounge growth drives expansion, rebranding to iLounge

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, July 11, 2005
News Categories: Site News

A Message from Dennis Lloyd, Publisher of iPodlounge

Back in 2001, I started iPodlounge as a place for iPod owners and admirers to learn about the world’s coolest invention. The idea was simple: create a friendly, relaxed lounge where good people could hang out and meet other good people.

In our first few months, hundreds of visitors checked out the site, telling their friends and families about both the iPod and iPodlounge. They kept coming back, so it’s no surprise that iPodlounge has grown. Now we have a community of over 65,000 forum members, over 3,000,000 visitors a month to our main site, comprehensive coverage of every iPod ever released (plus every major iPod accessory), and some of the most incredible photo galleries ever assembled. This past month, we had over 20,000,000 page views, and thanks to your readership, the numbers just keep going up.

Today I have some exciting news to share: iPodlounge is expanding. For years, we’ve been known around the world by our name and our famous tagline, “All Things iPod.? Now we’re changing the game. In the works for months, and effective today, we’re “All Things iPod, iTunes, and Beyond? - the iLounge.

Obviously, we’re not losing our focus on the iPod - the world’s best portable music player - but we have been quietly broadening our coverage to include even more of what Loungers want and need. You may have noticed that we have substantially enhanced our coverage of iTunes, the world’s best digital media software, with many additional tutorials and even greater attention to its recently expanded features. Now we are gearing up for what is about to be an even more exciting future.

As iPod lovers, we are strongly dedicated to providing the world’s best coverage of our favorite portable music players, but we also believe that the next stage of this phenomenon will be bigger than any one product Apple may produce. We want to be ready to cover what happens next - something bigger than headphones, playlists, or our current concepts of “iPod” encompass. So, going forward, all of our coverage of iPods, iTunes, and related products will appear under our new iLounge.com name, as the world’s premiere destination for independent information on all of Apple’s digital media initiatives. The old iPodlounge URL will continue to work for years, but from now on, new pages and our popular Buyers’ Guides will appear under the iLounge name.

I hope you’ll find the new name easy to remember, easier to type, and easiest to tell your friends about. Since we’ve been planning and quietly phasing in this expansion of the Lounge for quite some time, you won’t see any major changes that haven’t already taken place… until the next big thing is ready to happen. When it does, we’ll be ready, and we look forward to having you with us for the ride. Thank you for your support!

• Please add iLounge to your browser’s bookmarks.
  • Click here for our new RSS feed.
  • If you link to iPodlounge, please update to iLounge.com.

• « DLO debuts TransPod for iPod shuffle

Mix: Plantronics/Altec Lansing, Blogcast, London bombing »

Comments

Great, but could you cram some more advertising in please? There’s nowhere nearly enough, I can still see some of the articles hmmm

Posted by Mr.Clciky on July 12, 2005 at 5:33 PM (PDT)

iLounge… in front of my TV every night.

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

Posted by Demosthenes on July 12, 2005 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

Yes, at this point you’d think the next “expansion” will be adding more ads! score.

Posted by Boaguy on July 12, 2005 at 6:07 PM (PDT)

Im m using adblock and dont see any of those ads. do it , too !

Posted by Sergiusz on July 12, 2005 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

I’m all for it.  Now it won’t be so confusing to be reading that review about Apple’s new remote touch screen media hub at a website called iPodLounge.  To iLounge… and BEYOND!

Posted by szac on July 13, 2005 at 2:54 PM (PDT)

I think the namechange is kind of dumb, but then that’s also what I thought when Mozill did some name changes: Pheonix turned Firefird turned Firefox! It’ll grow on me over time I guess (just like the example), but I think the direction of the site is fine and dandy and keeps me informed of the kind of things I’d expect a site like this to inform me of.

And as far as the site redesign, I’m impartial and don’t mind it. It’ll prolly get redesigned in another year or so anyway ... and who will like it then? Look at many other company websites out there that change once or more a year! Whoopy-doo

Thanks for doing a good job!!

Posted by maxrebo on July 13, 2005 at 3:08 PM (PDT)

commenting while at work ... not a good idea ... some spelling fixes to my above post:

Mozill->Mozilla
    Firefird->Firebird

...there maybe others, but I must get back to work smile

Posted by maxrebo on July 13, 2005 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

On bad thing… This idea sucks.  Keep it iPodlounge all the way.

One good thing…  for those of you complaining about ads, quit whining and get firefox with adblocker.

And one middle-of-the-road-thing… keep the content just the way it is.

Posted by dopial on July 13, 2005 at 9:16 PM (PDT)

Change is good. People will get over it. I’m not interested in other DAPs except for really important developments, but I’d like to see you cover other Apple products in the future. With the name iLounge I’m guessing that’s what you guys have in mind.

Posted by alex on July 14, 2005 at 2:57 PM (PDT)

Nice spin .  .  .  .

Posted by runningman on July 15, 2005 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

This name change is a terrible idea.  The “i” prefix is WAY cliche and WAY annoying, just like when people use WAY to mean “very.”

Please, please, please change it back.  You had great brand recognition before, and the name was not too bulky.  There’s just no need for this.

Why didn’t you seek our opinions before making such a huge change?  I’ve been an avid site fan since 2001.  And this is WAY not cool.

Posted by Mantis on July 15, 2005 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

How does this name change affect accessory makers who advertise that their products are “Recommended by iPodlounge”?

Posted by Whyren on July 16, 2005 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

I’d bet my ipod that Apple’s legal team forced this change… you could have just said so.

Posted by DMC on July 17, 2005 at 7:06 AM (PDT)

While a minimal alteration of terminology seems insignificant, there are enormous ramifications when it comes to existing advertising. Like a previous poster remarked, what will happen to the present advertisements by companies promoting their product as being “Recommended by iPodLounge”? Sure, they can change a few things around, but it will be time poorly spent.

The explanation of your name switch sounds reasonable but somewhat unnecessary. The iPod is more than just the device. The image of white earbuds has great meaning when shown in any media; not only is it product placement, but also has quite a bit to say in regards to the utter acceptance of a device into our culture and living standards. With that said, deleting “iPod” from the name in preference to a generic “i”, there doesn’t seem to be any difference in effect.

But all the same, I enjoy this site and wish you the best. Keep up the fabulous reviewing and reporting!

Posted by Ryan on July 17, 2005 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

Hmm, Personally I do not like the change.  The focus of the site, I thought, was iPods.  iTunes is just a software, and ‘beyond’ is vague at best.  Before, there was a clear and present focus: iPods and iPod related info. Now it is vague.

We can learn from other companies who did this: There used to be a company that only made soup.  Then they expanded to other items, and faster foods, then even non-food items.  They changed their motto to “We’re not just soup.”  Horrible, because soup was considered warm, friendly, family-oriented.  They began to lose their core customers.  Better would have been to say “We are stil soup” which shows they are more than previous, but still focused on what made them great…..soup.

Same can be said for iLounge and the ipod… saying “not just iPod” shows you are losing focus and core values.  While the site content may not change “iLounge” says nothing to me of iPods, except for the “i” stuff.  If the site content is not changing why is there any need for a name change???

You had a well known name, that was respected and well received.  Uhh why would you give that up?  It’s like Microsoft deciding to call themselves “MicroSystems” because they now have hardware devices…

Anyway, my two cents worth…Hope my English is understandable

Posted by Jing in USA/Singapore on July 19, 2005 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

I really liked the old name.  Once again “if it ain’t broke don’t try to fix it” You should definitely take a poll on the name change.  I love your site though and it’s been quite helpful.  iLounge might be mistaken for an online brothel though.  Just change it back.

Posted by kmac on July 20, 2005 at 1:03 AM (PDT)

As a regular visitor to the site for sometime, I was disappointed by the site redesign.  Now iLounge as a name really generic. Hmmm…

What happened to this site? I mean, I’m still going to visit, but its not what it once was.

Posted by FarSight010 on July 20, 2005 at 7:03 AM (PDT)

Would have been better to canvass forum views before the name change.  Building a brand is not always easy, nor is it an exact science.  It’s important that visitors view your site as somehow different than your competitors.  ilounge misses the spot (hell, it doesn’t even trip off the tongue like iPodlounge did), sorry guys *thumbs down*

Posted by Jonzun on July 20, 2005 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

My question is, how the heck do I subscribe to the new RSS feed with a regular old RSS aggregator like Gregarius, Thunderbird, or RSSOwl?

Posted by Skaboobie in Buffalo, NY on July 21, 2005 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

This brand abandonment mistake is the same one that has eroded the value of hundreds of companies for hundreds of years. It always stuns me to see supposedly sharp people make this same silly mistake, over and over. And, invariably, as they turn the loaded gun to their own heads… they brag about the “reasons” of their decision.

Developing a brand in today’s congested marketplace that actually rises to have strong iconic significance in a company’s core customer base is a rare, rare event. Most companies would kill for such a success. Yet, every day, somwhere, some management team who has achieved this miracle “decides” to dump the miracle brand in the dirt and pick a new one, from scratch.

Amazing.

Posted by Jack Campbell on July 22, 2005 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >