iPoDonut stickers for iPod released | iLounge News

iPoDonut stickers for iPod released

piciPoDonut is a silicone backed sticker that covers the touch wheel on 2nd and 3rd generation iPods. iPoDonut comes in nine glow-in-the-dark designs and several colors; a plain glow-in-the-dark version; and a LCD screen protector is included with purchase. Each iPoDonut costs $9, and iPod mini iPoDonuts are expected to be released in late June.

« Teski releases Executive iPod Leather Case

TUNEWEAR releases ICEWEAR for iPod mini »

Comments

Kewl!!! I want one!

Posted by ipodx on June 18, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

these are for girls - right?

Posted by tr on June 18, 2004 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Nice way to protect your touch wheel, especially if you use a case that leaves your wheel exposed.  It would be nice if they had more colors to match some of the cases.  The price is pretty good at $9 with shipping airmail from Japan included and a screen protector, plus I like the designs.  I think I might get one.

Posted by honeybee1236 on June 18, 2004 at 7:40 AM (PDT)

$9 for a sticker? Let me think… can you say rip off?

Posted by You are all sheep on June 18, 2004 at 8:13 AM (PDT)

Yeh all iPod related stuff is overpriced.. you get used to it.
Lol @ for girls.
Oh well.. I am a girl, and they look really cool. And you get a screen protecter aswell.. so its not too expensive. I’ll be getting one smile

Posted by Sypher on June 18, 2004 at 8:58 AM (PDT)

$9 ?!
for a sticker?!
I serious hope no-one considers it!
Get the iPod dimensions, get photoshop and a big package of blank stickers, and bingo!
Design & print your own!

Posted by [rob] on June 18, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Yeah, because that would be cheaper…right?  Gimme a break, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

Posted by seandavid010 in So Cal on June 18, 2004 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

Shoot, Id pay $9 not to go through making it myself. Coming up with a design and getting the exact dimensions would get annoying. Also those stickers glow in the dark… $9 is reasonable in my books.

Posted by lazy on June 18, 2004 at 9:21 AM (PDT)

props for trying i guess. But those things are LAME!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by pigpen65 on June 18, 2004 at 9:59 AM (PDT)

ghetto

Posted by jr on June 18, 2004 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

ermm.. try sticking the circle on perfectly… its gonna be a bit harder than a square sticker you can line up…

Posted by blythy on June 18, 2004 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

with my black podskin, and my black showcase, the black circles one could be cool, but i’m not going to pay $9, maybe $1 or $2, but $9 for that litle thing? podskinz you get two for that price, and that covers way more then this does.  but it IS glow in the dark and glow in the dark sooo awesome

Posted by j on June 18, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

It’s just a matter of time before the cheap Chinese knock-offs appear, then you can get one for a couple-a bucks.

I agree $9 for a 2” sticker is a bit of a rip, even with “postage from Japan”.  Might have something to do with the weak dollar overseas, I dunno.

Posted by lickey on June 18, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

Moreover, what kind of material would you make _your_ sticker out of? Not only would you waste a lot of time making two perfectly circular cuts, but when you consider that you need a kind of adhesive that dosn’t leave some residue when you remove it, and a kind of material that is durbale, I think you would be close to the $9 mark already.

What this could use is something to protect the center button as well, as mine is already chipped minorly in some places (its sticking out while the wheel is a recess), but then that wouldn’t be called it a donut would it? Maybe iPodPastry.

Posted by Sraphim on June 18, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Is the dimension of the touch wheel for 3G iPod the same as iPod mini? I might try to get one for mine also.

Posted by pboy2k5 on June 18, 2004 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Disgusting.

Posted by Johnathan Ives on June 18, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

It’s not a paper sticker, it’s silicone, which makes it more durable.  Pretty cool idea IMO.

Posted by DarkWombat on June 18, 2004 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

Similar stickers retail in Japan for 600 yen for a pack of two, and have been out for nearly a year ($3 apiece).  So, $9 to send it anywhere is not unreasonable.  And, the ones that I’ve seen here don’t glow in the dark.

They also sell a static-cling film cover for the LCD, which means my marware case doesn’t scratch it when it goes in.

To the poster who suggested that it would be difficult to place exactly on the wheel—the cut-out in the center and the fact that the wheel is recessed from the rest of the case makes it pretty easy to get right.

Posted by SendaiGuy on June 18, 2004 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

I think they are a really cool addition to the iPod.  And like DarkWombat says, it’s not just a sticker, it’s made of silicone, so it’s not going to stick to your iPod or leave a residue and is reusable.

The last question in the FAQ was also pretty entertaining I thought.

Posted by bennok on June 18, 2004 at 2:33 PM (PDT)

lame

Posted by jkcoon on June 18, 2004 at 7:02 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >