iPods: Built Mac Tough | iLounge News

iPods: Built Mac Tough

Last sunday I found myself on the wrong side of one of those anecdotes that keep CSR’s sane; I did something please-hold-mute-

-umute stupid.

After getting a major project into production on Friday, I swore to myself that I would do absolutely nothing productive for the entire weekend, and until Sunday afternoon I kept that vow. At this point I discovered that I only had two clean pairs of underpants left, and one of those was a rather uncomfortable g-string. I had no choice - I had to do some laundry…

I filled a basket with dark coloured clothing, and took it to the laundry room on my floor; to my amazement their was a washer ready and waiting for me, and I had plenty of quarters. I loaded the machine, added detergent and fabric softner, and started the machine running on the gentle cycle. I returned to my apartment, set a timer, and lay on the couch watching Anime until the timer went off.

I then returned to the laundry room, transferred my things to the dryer, and set the machine to run for an hour on tumble dry low. Again I returned to my apartment, set the timer, lay on the couch, waited for the timer, ignored it, and continued my couch warming duties.

Eventually I remembered I still had things in the dryer, so I got up and went to collect them. When I opened the door of the dryer, two little pieces of plastic fell out: one a small white button, the other a donut shaped ring of plastic. “That’s odd”, I thought. “Is the dryer broken”. I removed the two pieces of plastic and placed them carefully on top of the dryer, and started to remove my clothes and place them in the basket. One pair of pants later I realised where the plastic had come from.

My original series 10Gb iPod had grown tired of my lustful stares at the new 30’s flaunting themselves in the student stores, and had decided to end it all by stowing away in a cargo pocket in one of the pairs of pants I’d washed. I knew I shouldn’t have put so much Gothic/Industrial stuff on the poor lass; it overwhelmed the Progressive House and Tech House, and the Patsy Cline collection just pushed her over the edge.

I’m proud to say that when my powers of speech returned I had the presence of mind to say the only words that truly fit the situation: “It’s kind of… a bummer”.

I replaced the two plastic pieces into the dial, placed the corpse in a body bag (well, sock), and returned to my apartment in a somewhat darkened mood. I then removed the iPod from its sleeve, and stripped off the metal backing to make sure there was no liquid left inside.

My drive to work the next day was made particularly unpleasant by the fact the only CD in the car, and that was a Rush CD I bought basically for two songs. There was nothing for it. I went up to the campus store, explained the whole humiliating story to my friends who work there, receiving sympathy from the mac-heads, and mockery from the un-switched. A swipe of the card later I was the proud owner of a new 30Gb iPod, and the shamed murderer of a loyal 10Gb friend.

Today I decided that I’d waited long enough. I replaced the back cover of the deceased, took a mains adaptor and firewire cable, plugged the adapter into a socket on a separate circuit to my computers, and after a brief “Clear”, connected the corpse to the source of electricity.

To my amazement, the Apple logo appeared on screen; at least the circuitry was ok. To my absolute and complete astonishment, the device proceeded to complete a full boot, and the entire contents of the hard-drive were still there. The jog dial was a little loose, but both it and the select button worked perfectly; I hooked the audio out into my mixer, and the sound came out fine on both channels.

I believe that this calls for a change to the care instructions for this series iPod. A label should be added that reads:

Machine Wash Cold,
Tumble Dry Low,
Do Not Iron

« Follow-up Review of the New 15GB iPod

TechTV: Share the music on your iPod across a network »

Comments

I did the same to my remote and earbuds.
I was looking all over for them and found them in the washer. They cleaned up nice
and still work great!

Posted by upod2 on July 6, 2003 at 8:56 PM (PDT)

you’re a guy with a g-string? what a sick sh*t.

Posted by john on July 7, 2003 at 2:59 AM (PDT)

[That’s not a troll: that’s a straight line]

The item in question was part of a costume for an annual party called “Dress to get Scr*wed” (ask someone from Chapel Hill).

The outfit combined a posing pouch with a necklace made up of small nerf sucker-cup ammunition.

The title of the outfit was “A little thong and darts number”.

The following year’s outfit removed the darts and added the lids from some tubs of French Dip.

This was, of course, “The dip-thong”.

Posted by Simon Spero on July 7, 2003 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

I didn’t hear him ask for an explanation. Did you? smile

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on July 7, 2003 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

Gstrings and guys?

you MUST be american :p

Posted by Stasyna on July 7, 2003 at 8:22 AM (PDT)

Yes Stasyna, and if it had been guys and guys we all know he would be canadian!!!

Posted by Scott on July 7, 2003 at 8:28 AM (PDT)

how do you know the poster is a guy ? I dont see any reference to the sex of the poster.

Posted by clyde on July 7, 2003 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

“By Simon Spero”

when was the last time you met a woman named Simon? smile

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on July 7, 2003 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

I’m not particularly suprised at this, as there are many people who have had similar accidents with their iPods and they turned out alright. This is probably due to, as you implied, their excellent construction.

Next step: I think that they can make the iPod ENTIRELY waterproof by sealing the edge between the faceplate and caseback, and supplying plugs to seal the headphone/remote port.

Posted by Sraphim on July 7, 2003 at 8:12 PM (PDT)

How about a fully waterproof pod and earphones that you can use in a pool?

Posted by Dave on July 8, 2003 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

Even if Apple did produce such a unit, I’d find it hard to bring a $500 piece of electronics into a chlorine filled pool!

Posted by Rich in Rhode Island, USA on July 8, 2003 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

Re: Nationality

I’m English, but I live in the States.

Re: How do you know the poster is a guy

Dave Barry would tell you that only a Guy would commit such as basic laundry mistake grin

Re: Build quality

Apples build quality is incredibly consistent; on the plus side, my original pbook 140 lasted 6 years, and my G3 Firewire pbook only has a few dim spots at the corners of the screen.

On the down side, when there’s a design flaw, it will show up consistently (e.g. original series TiBooks flex too much, so they failed much more often than plastic macs.

I’m expecting great things of the much rumoured 15.4”

Praise should also go to Toshiba’s hard-drive designers; granted the unit was off, so I assume the head was parked, but even so, what I did is way more than anyone should ask of a hard drive.  ‘Ello Tosh, Got a Toshiba?

I’ve never seen Toshiba’s GigaBeat, so I don’t know how well designed that is, and no one will lend me their firefly to repeat the experiment.

re: Pod’s Live Underwater

It would be possible to make the ipod more water resistant; one thing I really notice about the new pod vs the old schooler is that with head-phones plugged in, there are no holes on the top, making it more survivable if it starts raining.

Making things waterproof is much, much more expensive; just plugging the holes is unlikely to be enough; everything needs to be sealed against pressure (not worth doing unless it’ll suit at least recreational divers (who probably shouldn’t be listening to music:-).

A friends father is a film cameraman who does underwater shoots; it is possible to protect delicate equipment, but the prices are mind-boggling (well, everthing to do with film is mind-boggling expensive, but these things are even more so smile

Simon
p.s.
  Since I failed to shoot myself in the foot, at the moment I’m a bipod with two iPods; it would be really cool if the pods had pitch shift, and could let you push/pull with the scroll wheel the same way the Pioneer CDJ’s do.

Posted by Simon Spero on July 8, 2003 at 5:33 AM (PDT)

i think the radio microphone case here:

would totally make a waterproof ipod for under 50 bucks.  i have one of their mini cell phone cases, and i haven’t worried about my phone at the beach ever since… wink

personally, my month-old 15G has survived a tumble down 18 wooden stairs (alone), and a rather spectacular crash on skates (in my pocket).

it’s entirely possible that i’m too klutzy to deserve such a nice piece of hardware…. wink

Posted by schuss in Seattle, WA on July 9, 2003 at 9:49 AM (PDT)