iPods coming to Strawbridges department stores | iLounge News

iPods coming to Strawbridges department stores

iLounger John emailed us with information suggesting that his local Strawbridges department store in New Jersey will soon be selling iPods.

“My girlfriend works at Strawbridges and she told me the boss was looking for someone to ‘man’ the iPod point-of-sale display. She told her boss about me and later I asked what area it would be in and she said the mens section. I was at the store and saw a display counter there and in the case it had a box with an Apple logo on it. I forgot what it said - something to do with Apple display case, but it looks like it will be opening soon.”

« MusicMatch to support iPod after iTunes for Windows debuts

RIAA Attacked… By A Record Company? »

Comments

They already show iPods on display at BestBuy.

Posted by Zeratul on October 13, 2003 at 3:32 PM (CDT)

Now I have no idea at all, but I’m making a very educated guess in assuming it will be a dock connector and a touch screen in which you can purchase songs from the iTunes music store (but probably stored locally). It would have speakers so you can preview the songs, be a good idea if it becomes mainstream.

Posted by Adam on October 13, 2003 at 4:16 PM (CDT)

Entirely possible, Adam…  There are MAJOR upgrades planned for thursday in the iPod world.  Accessories and iTunes for Windows!  yay!

This kiosk thing is a new rumor, though… Sounds interesting.

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 13, 2003 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

Sony played with the idea a couple years ago with the MD, only thing the MD died in the butt, and with good reason.

They did have an incredibly funky ad though, in which they had a maccas style MD store, and a guy goes through the drive-through and orders a mix of songs, and the guys inside get all funky and deliver a MD to him.

Bring on iTunes I say, and all the other good things then global domination surely can’t be far away.

Posted by Adam on October 13, 2003 at 4:44 PM (CDT)

Hey, no, what i saw is a kiosk to sell iPods, not for a download service or the likes. Just a special booth for the store to sell iPods. That is all. Just thought it was interesting, Best Buy selling iPods i understand, but Strawbridges? That seems odd. But it is true.

Posted by John on October 13, 2003 at 6:28 PM (CDT)

I was at a Filenes department store tonight and they have an iPod display there too - It didn’t look open yet, but they had plenty of iPods, docks, and other accessories there.  While a ‘plug in your iPod and buy a song at the store’ idea sounds awesome, I don’t think that is what will be at Strawbridges, Filenes or any other department store…...that does sound weird tho - I wouldn’t want to buy a pricy tech toy at a dept. store…

Posted by SPM on October 13, 2003 at 8:34 PM (CDT)

I would like to introduce your Strawbridges department store to eXo, who should I contact?

Posted by Lajo on October 14, 2003 at 4:29 AM (CDT)

somehow in singapore. massive ipod ads have been on-going. if i’m not wrong, apple takes the r&d of the 4th gen ipod seriously. recently recruiting of developers for e ipod r&d and the profits that are coming from the current 3rd gen ipods sales. apple’s pushin the ipod when somehow in the past it dint….don’t u’ll suspect a thing?

Posted by j.m. on October 14, 2003 at 9:04 AM (CDT)

Does anybody see a problem with this? Why only the men’s section of the department store?
Call me a crazy feminist…

Posted by x007becky on October 14, 2003 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

Maybe they have them in the women’s section too - I didn’t check…

Posted by SPM on October 14, 2003 at 12:01 PM (CDT)