iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed | iLounge News

iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Sunday, November 23, 2003
News Categories: Humor

The Neistat brothers have taken it upon themselves to ‘redecorate’ iPod posters with their public service announcement which reads; iPod’s Unreplaceable Battery Lasts Only 18 Months. A QuickTime video of their efforts has been posted at www.ipodsdirtysecret.com

Editor’s note: Contrary to their belief the iPod battery is replaceable

« inMotion Speakers makes Best Product of the Year list

Send iTunes Gift Certificates via USPS Mail »

Comments

That was so cool!

Posted by jmc in noitacol on November 23, 2003 at 9:34 PM (PDT)

I replaced the batteries on my 24-month-old Archos for $5.

My old battery life started at around 10 hours and had gone down to five hours or so.

I’ve tested my new batteries and I get 15-18 hours on a single charge.

Ugly is as ugly does.

Posted by ArchosRoolz on November 23, 2003 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

couldnt you just buy the belkin battery pack thing for the iPod to extend the iPods life to 12 hours?

Posted by solution on November 23, 2003 at 10:10 PM (PDT)

Great guerilla tactics.  I’m glad there are now solutions to the battery problem, but I can’t believe the people at Apple were such bastards about it.

Posted by Albert on November 23, 2003 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

ok,so….will i be able to replace the battery on my new 40gb, or not? i thought you could only replace batteries on the older ones.

Posted by judgejudy in LA on November 23, 2003 at 10:31 PM (PDT)

I believe in fair-market economics where after a certain amount of time, you can’t be held responsible for your product—it’s the only way to stay in business with such accident- and degredation-proned devices as the iPod, etc.

But I think $255 for a full-refurb is way out of line.  I think I remember seeing an iPod lounge post a while back about a $100 Apple-sanctioned replacement option, but I can’t confirm it.

Posted by Ryan on November 23, 2003 at 10:39 PM (PDT)

for new and old gen iPods

Posted by iPod Battery on November 23, 2003 at 10:42 PM (PDT)

So, what they should be saying is:
- Apple was not helpful in finding us a 3rd party service to replace the iPod’s battery
- We are too thick to use Google, but we have lot’s of time on our hands for silly stuff.

Don’t get me wrong. The battery should last longer & be easier & cheaper to replace. Nevertheless, people who go all berserk when all they had to do instead is to think for just one minute are… strange.

Posted by Oliver on November 23, 2003 at 11:18 PM (PDT)

ArchosRoolz - I had an archos recorder 10 gig before I got an iPod.  I had the highest capacity NMH batteries you could buy at the time (2200mAh) and i never got anywhere near how long you claim.  Not to mention, if you did get that long of a charge, in about a month or so you’d be down to 5-8 hours max.

NMH is as NMH does.

Posted by dave on November 23, 2003 at 11:49 PM (PDT)

I thing the procedure of replacing iPod battery is not near “User Replacable”.

Posted by :p on November 24, 2003 at 12:23 AM (PDT)

Not only were they clueless once:

[url=http://www.ipodbattery.com]http://www.ipodbattery.com[/url]

but they were clueless twice:

Sad that they went to all that trouble, when a 30-second Google search would have given them the above solutions.

Posted by anonymous on November 24, 2003 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

That may be true, but the thing they’re trying to promote is that once the ipod is out of warranty, the costs to repair it is way too high.  When one of them called, they were even told to just buy new Ipods to replace the older unit.  The truth is the general public will not go through ipodbattery.com and will probably go through the repair (ouch) or just buy new ones every 18 months.  If that’s the case, time to jump ship to something that can have replaceable batteries.  More interfaces are becoming more adept and easy to use while Ipod’s functionality has remained stagnant (other than AAC and those 2 addons)

Posted by tetro on November 24, 2003 at 12:40 AM (PDT)

Does anyone remember when these sorts of acts of civil disobedience were wasted on issues like racism, genocide, poverty, and oppression? No longer, thanks to those brave men!!! I hope their next protest involves self-immolation on Apple’s doorstep (They won’t die in vain!). Then maybe we can all rest assured that no one will ever again be brought down by the likes of Steve Jobs.

Posted by Scott Cox on November 24, 2003 at 12:58 AM (PDT)

Anyone stupid enough to waste their time and energy in this fashion is not ‘cool’.

2) You can replace your battery yourself for about $60.

3) The damned things last more than 18 months if you follow the right charging procedures anyway.

Scott, man, top post!

The tragedy is that these fools probably think that they are doing something ‘important’.

Posted by Jacko N on November 24, 2003 at 1:09 AM (PDT)

good for them…. some of you folks don’t realize for the longest time Apple wasn’t offerinf battery replacement and lets face it unless you get another person to replace the battery for you it isn;t that easy to do..

good for them,,

Posted by bababooey on November 24, 2003 at 1:45 AM (PDT)

They said their ipod was 18 months old, that means that they are 1st gen models or second. Initialy there were no replacements for baterys for the older ipods, I think what they have done is cool, maybe point less, but their case that not being able to get a new battery for less than $250 is fair that is way to much. And above saying that apple will replace the battery on their care plan for $90 is valid but this only came out recently, I think this video wasn’t made yesterday.

Posted by Dougs on November 24, 2003 at 1:47 AM (PDT)

I thought the 3rd gen batterys dont die. So are these guys saying they do?

Posted by Aspect on November 24, 2003 at 2:21 AM (PDT)

Who cares if he can get it done cheaper…he called apple up and was told over $200….i think its a cool film ...we want more

Posted by Ian on November 24, 2003 at 2:30 AM (PDT)

I am still using my iPod bought in late November 2001.  I have used it heavily in that time and the battery still works fine.

Posted by Bill on November 24, 2003 at 3:10 AM (PDT)

“1) Apple will replace batteries for you, for $90 including labour and shipping. If you think that’s too high, then I suggest you’re unrealistic and ‘spoiled’. “

Not everyone can afford $100 to replace their battery.  Perhaps you are the one who is “unrealistic” and “spoiled.”  I’d imagine one of the main user groups of iPods is college students, and most college students don’t have $100 to throw around.

Posted by Tim on November 24, 2003 at 4:33 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »