iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed | iLounge News

iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed

The Neistat brothers have taken it upon themselves to ‘redecorate’ iPod posters with their public service announcement which reads; iPod’s Unreplaceable Battery Lasts Only 18 Months. A QuickTime video of their efforts has been posted at www.ipodsdirtysecret.com

Editor’s note: Contrary to their belief the iPod battery is replaceable

« inMotion Speakers makes Best Product of the Year list

Send iTunes Gift Certificates via USPS Mail »

Comments

> I had an archos recorder 10 gig before I got an iPod. I had the highest capacity NMH batteries you could buy at the time (2200mAh) and i never got anywhere near how long you claim.

I got terrible battery life on my old Archos, like 8 hours or so. Then I replaced the stock OS with thise wild Swedish Rockbox replacement OS and my battery life went up to around 12 hours. I suppose if I’d replaced my batteries as well I might have done as well as the OP says, around 18 hours.

I also got lots of games with Rockbox, and plug ins. Why are there not more games for my iPod? The iPod’s built-in accessory software kind of sucks.

Posted by YoMomma on November 24, 2003 at 9:50 AM (PDT)

“Isn’t this how TiVo makes money?”

Actually, you spend about $13 in the way of a monthly fee to TiVo every month, not $300 every 18—But what’s your point?

If you want to upgrade your OS, you need to shell out more money. If you want a faster processor, you need to shell out more money. If you want to eat, you need to shell out money.

In this case, batteries will not charge after a certain amount of time. It’s not a conspiracy on the part of Apple. It’s just the nature of batteries. I don’t think it’s unreasonable of Apple to charge $100 to replace it, considering the alternative is to buy a new iPod. It is unreasonable to expect a free battery change after 18 months.

It’s like someone expecting free gas just because they bought the car.

Whoever did this video had way too much time on his hands and probably complained that Apple didn’t upgrade the firmware on his iPod when the 3Gs came out.

Posted by dangerboy on November 24, 2003 at 9:57 AM (PDT)

Replacing a battery in a 40gb iPod represents 20% of the initial investment ($499).  Apparently, most people would have no problem paying $4,600 to replace the spark plugs in their $23,000 automobile.

Posted by Obadiah on November 24, 2003 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

dangerboy - that was exactly my point. Other companies do it, no one complains. I’m working on being more verbose. My wife complains wink

Posted by Steve on November 24, 2003 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Christ. You guys are morons. $90 is NOT expensive.

Do the math on it:

Minimum of a year’s worth of batteries. Let’s be generous and say two AAs.

Ten hours of play a day, for three hundred sixty-five days. If one set of batteries, let’s say, lasts for two of those charges, and you listen for five hours a day on average, you’re looking at buying about ninety pair of AAs a year. At two bucks a pop—minimum, for good 2-packs of AA batteries, that’s more than you pay for the replacement battery which will give you a year of play, in theory, at the minimum. And it doesn’t waste battery carcasses, which is good for the environment. /And/ you don’t have to deal with buying batteries (always an annoyance that can be done without), and weak-### battery compartments that fly open at the slightest hint of shock.

Now, if I’ve underestimated how long the batteries would drive an iPod, let’s double their life up there. That cuts your yearly AA pair consumption in half, to about 45. That’s /still/ only a couple of bucks shy of a replacement battery from Apple.

These guys are whiny idiots who like to break the law to get attention. I hope they’re fined or jailed for this crap.

Posted by Guy 3 on November 24, 2003 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

zI’ll be using the next gen ipod long before 18 months form now.

Posted by Me on November 24, 2003 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

I’m starting to suspect some of you did not watch the movie.  There is an important detail that most of you blind “Apple rules don’t say anything bad about them” folks seem to be ignoring.

I’ll leave it to you to figure it out.

Posted by stark23x on November 24, 2003 at 11:23 AM (PDT)

what will these people who can’t afford the battery replacement do when the hard drive dies?

as with anything with moving parts, or chemical reactions… it will break down, it’s not a matter of “if” it is “when”

if you can’t afford upkeep on a device (computer, iPod, car, house) don’t get it, or get a cheaper one you can afford to maintain. and always backup often

Posted by Brian on November 24, 2003 at 12:06 PM (PDT)

At the time that these guys made the movie, the only option from Apple was pay the refurb fee.  That was short sighted on the part of Apple.

To be fair to the film makers, the $99 offer is only 2 weeks old from Apple.  A $225 refurb was excessive.  Apple was gouging consumers for repairs during the ipod boom.  They have now offered a better alternative.

I appreciate the work of the film makers, but their timing is a little unfortunate. The intelligence of ipodloungers on all subjects within ipodology makes this movie a little outdated, but other audiences (less up to date on all of the recent news) should relish it.

I wonder if CNET posts films? iFilm should snatch this up too.  Its very controversial.

FIGHT THE POWER!

Posted by k-rock in USA on November 24, 2003 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

I appreciate the film and the message the creator is making.  History will tell if he is indeed the Rosa Parks of the iPod generation.  One thing is for sure, neither the Neistat brothers, nor Ms. Parks would take injustice sitting down.

That being said, I also think that Apple is making great strides on the battery replacement issue and we owe it to them as loyal ipod owners to not cause any more furror over this issue and let Apple do what is best within the marketplace.

I firmly believe we are at the cusp of the digital edge, and need to set an example for others.  We are all ipod owners and we need to stick together.

DFS
15g
ipod owner since 2002

Posted by DFS on November 24, 2003 at 12:26 PM (PDT)

What a bunch of losers! Why don’t they spend their energy telling the world about something truly evil, like how WinDoze is just DOS with a fancy coat on.

MicroSloth has been duping millions of people for decades, now Apple has one little glitch and it’s the end of the world??? Idiots. They’re just pissed because the sales girl at the Apple store wouldn’t go out with them. Then again, no one will.

Get a f***ing clue, and get a life.

Posted by LupoWolf on November 24, 2003 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

“Why don’t they spend their energy telling the world about something truly evil, like how WinDoze is just DOS with a fancy coat on.”

That may have been true for the older Windows v 1, 2, WFW, 3, 95, 98 and ME, but is not true for the NT & XP lines.

The current versions of Windows are entirely non-DOS based, but instead derived in large part from Digital’s VMS OS.

Posted by WinGal on November 24, 2003 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

>> what will these people who can’t afford the battery replacement do when the hard drive dies ... get a cheaper one you can afford to maintain

I took your advice. My old Archos’s 10GB drive was getting some bad sectors, so I swapped it out for a shiny new lower-power 80GB drive with 16MB cache. This also boosted my battery life by around 20%.

Posted by HandsOn on November 24, 2003 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

iPod is the Ferrari of MP3 players so shelling out a hundred bucks for a new battery every 18 months is okay?

Do you pay $28,000 for tires on an annual basis?

If you do, I have some friends of mine that would love to do business with you!

I like my iPod, that doesn’t mean you aren’t a #####.

Posted by Joe Boo on November 24, 2003 at 1:02 PM (PDT)

The irony that they still like Apple enough to encode their video in Quicktime.

Posted by jogloran on November 24, 2003 at 1:44 PM (PDT)

Joe Boo—I do not own a Ferrari, but if I did, $28000 for tires might seem reasonable.

Was your point that tires should’nt cost $28000 or that ipod batteries shouldn’t cost $100?

I’m really confused as to what you are getting at here.  Are you saying that if i draw a correlation in my post between Ferrari and ipod maintenance I need for all of the financial numbers to line up exactly as well?  I’m curious, How did you come up with the tire cost being $28,000?  I’d love to see that scratch paper.

I’m thinking there are plenty of Ferrari related fan sites that would be interested in your commentary on Ferrari tires and how much they cost and your friend’s business and such.  In the meantime, lets keep this forum for ipod related intelligent conversation.

Posted by k-rock in USA on November 24, 2003 at 2:41 PM (PDT)

So, get the $49 kit and do it yourself. But then again people don’t read the manuals so, yeah pay the $100.

Posted by AnotherBitesTheDust on November 24, 2003 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

“I do not own a Ferrari, but if I did, $28000 for tires might seem reasonable.”

I own two Ferraris (348 SS and 512BB).

$28K is *insane* as an annual tire maintenance fee. Maybe $1K per rim/tyre.

You *should* expect to pay around $5K every 30K miles for service though.

Posted by Ferrari on November 24, 2003 at 3:03 PM (PDT)

OMG, people, get real! Stop acting like little girls about the battery. Look at the iRiver, which many claim is superior- Lithium Polymer! If it is a similar battery to 1st and 2nd generation iPods’ batteries, it’ll last 18 months, and yes, it’ll have to be replaced. As a matter of fact, all MP3 players that have rechargable batteries will have to be replaced at one time or another at a cost equal to the batterie’s worth. Sure, you can argue that some players like the Zen can be popped open and have batteries replaced. OOPs! You failed to notice how friggin fat the thing is! But lets not stray off course here… it’s the cost everyone is concerned with, right? WELL STICK TO AAs AND GET A LITTLE MP3 PLAYER THAT HOLDS 12 SONGS. OH! But wait! The prices of the batteries will stack up eventually, right? Since you can’t recharge them. gonna moan about that too?! Then stick to HAND CRANKED POWER! YEAH! Maybe, if you people don’t mind, I’ll start a company that sells HAND CRANKED MP3 players that have NO MAINTENENCE COST! You can add that to your collection of hand cranked RADIOS, hand cranked FLASHLIGHTS and maybe, (you sound like you have one of these) A HAND CRANKED COMPUTER! Because lets face it, batteries, power, anything, costs money, and if you can’t afford it, then don’t be expecting any alternatives or substitutes, because, until I start my little business, there aren’t any that exist.

Posted by Sam on November 24, 2003 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

not every person has the time and money to go and replace a battery, or buy silly addons for it.

I actually support what they did 100%. 1 being apple are total bastards about it, and 2, i ####### HATE those god damn posters all of the streets and walls and ####. You have no idea how annoying it is.

Posted by zeve on November 24, 2003 at 3:14 PM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >