iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed | iLounge News

iPod’s Dirty Secret Revealed

The Neistat brothers have taken it upon themselves to ‘redecorate’ iPod posters with their public service announcement which reads; iPod’s Unreplaceable Battery Lasts Only 18 Months. A QuickTime video of their efforts has been posted at www.ipodsdirtysecret.com

Editor’s note: Contrary to their belief the iPod battery is replaceable

« inMotion Speakers makes Best Product of the Year list

Send iTunes Gift Certificates via USPS Mail »

Comments

” I’m curious, How did you come up with the tire cost being $28,000? I’d love to see that scratch paper.”

Actually, his number is pretty conservative.

I think he was trying to emphasize maintenance cost as a percentage of purchase price.

$90 out of $299 is 30.1%.  30.1% of a new $160,000 car is $48,160 by my calculations.  ;-)

That isn’t to say that the analogy isn’t pointless, however… it is.

Posted by azdude_15gb on November 24, 2003 at 5:16 PM (CST)

you all need to get a life….....

Posted by boring on November 24, 2003 at 7:45 PM (CST)

This entire discussion comes down to expectations. We all have different expectations regarding what we expect for the money we spend.

In a big picture sense, yes, it’s a problem and it’s troublesome for people that they got short life out of their battery.

I don’t think Apple ever conspired to screw anyone, I just think it’s the one design aspect they missed the boat on.

Posted by jeffyjones on November 24, 2003 at 9:13 PM (CST)

People are dumb.  People are dumber still when they have too much time and make videos about batteries in mp3 players…....I hope you all get my point….....

Posted by people on November 24, 2003 at 10:57 PM (CST)

>>>
This discussion is getting out of control. My Ipod is like my child. If it needs a new battery, I will provide for it with any means I have.

You don’t get angry at your child when he needs a heart transplant, do you? So why is it different for an ipod? The last time I checked, it cost a lot less for a new battery than an organ transplant.

We are iPod owners and we need to set an exmaple for other owners of digital music players - that includes regular battery replacement and abiding to all digital music copyright laws.
<<<

idiot. shouldn’t you be out saving the rain forest or something?

Posted by glocker on November 25, 2003 at 2:50 AM (CST)

Next week, someone’s gonna post a movie on how iPod don’t have a build in radio and posted on iPodsdonthaveradio.com, and the week after I’ll post a movie on how iPod can’t pay my bill (iPodcantpaybill.com)... people will go crazy.

see where I’m getting @?!!!!

Posted by voodoo on November 25, 2003 at 3:08 AM (CST)

if my cell phone craps out I can easily replace the battery//

If my PDA kicks the bucket I can replace the battery

If my cars dies… ahh I can easily replace the battery….

Ohh wait..but if my ipod dies.. I am SCREWED…

Posted by bababooey on November 25, 2003 at 4:14 AM (CST)

yes they should have gone to Apple Care, and pay 90 bucks like everyone should if their batteries stop operating….. fullstop.

Posted by integrated on November 25, 2003 at 4:22 AM (CST)

baba, my point was the costs, and how no matter what kind of electronic you buy, there is a cost for it’s upkeep. The iPod’s battery CAN be replaced for under $50, all YOU have to do is follow some instructions from the seller’s website. If you’re a little iffy about it, like a car, you have to go to a mechanic… ie, sending it in.

Posted by Sam on November 25, 2003 at 5:15 AM (CST)

My point was you know nothing about cars, so don’t liken iPod’s to something you know nothing about.

Peace.

Posted by Joe Boo on November 25, 2003 at 7:52 AM (CST)

A good thing to remember about a discussion, Joe Boo, using personal attack to get your point across is an admission of defeat.

Peace.

Posted by k-rock in USA on November 25, 2003 at 8:58 AM (CST)

Let’s put in words 4 year olds can understand:

You have cell phone, battery dies = you replace with $.
You have PDA, battery dies = you replace with $.
You have a car, battery dies = you replace $.
You have digital camera, battery dies = you replace $.
You have laptop, battery dies = you replace $.

Is this making sense?
IPod, battery, dies, $?
And like all items, if still under warranty = bitch!!

Posted by PodMan on November 25, 2003 at 9:56 AM (CST)

Let’s understand.

Then analyze.

And think before you speak!
Options:

1) At the counter where you buy or webpage ask for warranty coverage.
2) http://www.apple.com/support/products/applecareipod.html

Be surpised that a battery so small can charge such big harddrives, we want bigger but don’t accept responsibility terms! Maybe we should ask for AA’s and see how expensive it is at 18 months, fools!

Posted by Anonymous on November 25, 2003 at 10:45 AM (CST)

“IPod, battery, dies, $”

No, I think you’re missing it. Everything else dies, it’s $.

For the iPod, given the high initial price and the fact that everyone from Belkin to Apple thinks they can squeeze every last penny out of high-spending iPodders, it’s…

IPod, battery, dies, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by iPodsPricey on November 25, 2003 at 11:53 AM (CST)

k-rock, you should look up the difference between discussion and competition.

Posted by Joe Boo on November 25, 2003 at 1:02 PM (CST)

“Still think it’s expensive, don’t play with expensive toys and stop bitching!!!!”

Posted by Bozo on November 25, 2003 at 2:40 PM (CST)

Look, if you don’t like the technology that’s available today, wait another 10 years until fuel cells come out before you get an MP3 player.  I say this because:

> The iPod uses the best battery technology available today.
> There is no such thing as a battery that lasts forever.  You will not find another brand of MP3 player that has a significantly longer-lasting battery.
> There’s no way Apple could have made the iPod battery user-replaceable without compromizing the design.  How the heck could they possibly fit a removable battery, a door to go over it, and plastic underneath it (to protect the circuitry) in this tiny little package?  The iPod would have to be thicker to do that, and it would have an ugly door on the back, and then you’d just have a Zen clone.  If that’s what you want, just get a Zen and quit bitching.

Inform yourself of the positives and negatives of any product you buy before you buy it.  Don’t buy it then bitch later.  Nuff said.

Posted by red420 on November 25, 2003 at 10:53 PM (CST)

The iPod does NOT use the best battery technology today.  If it did, we wouldn’t be having these conversations.  The best would be a slot where we could slide a battery in after taking it off a charger.

LiPoly, of course.

Posted by stark23x on November 26, 2003 at 12:35 AM (CST)

“Maybe we should ask for AA’s and see how expensive it is at 18 months, fools!”

$6.50.  Plus shipping.  I charge them every three days.  They’ve been powering my mouse for over 6 months.  At this rate, it could conceivably cost me…$6.50 for 18 months.

Posted by stark23x on November 26, 2003 at 12:38 AM (CST)

Sorry, stark, but you asked for it. IT’S A MOUSE, NOT THE WORLD’s SMALLEST 40 GIG HARD DRIVE that you are running. Not to mention an LCD, backlight, decoding, processing, EQs… Besides, the iPod doesn’t have space for AAs. I think a AA is about as thick as an iPod, so so much for those. But like I said earlier, get one of those nice little 12 song thingys and enjoy! Maybe you can see how often you’ll have to charge it then…

Posted by Sam on November 26, 2003 at 1:10 PM (CST)

Page 4 of 5 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 >