Is your iPhone 3G having headphone port problems? | iLounge News

Is your iPhone 3G having headphone port problems?

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Saturday, July 12, 2008
News Categories: iPhone

During our continued testing of two iPhone 3Gs, we discovered last night that one of our units has a troubled headphone port; unlike our original iPhone and another iPhone 3G, unplugging the included Stereo Headset from the port mid-telephone call results 50% or more of the time in a disconnected call. Since many of you have units already, we’d like to ask in advance of our review: is this happening to your iPhone 3G? Please post in the comments below; we’d like to know how isolated this is. Thanks!

« Apple: 1 million iPhone 3Gs sold over weekend

DLO reveals three cases for iPhone 3G »

Comments

My iphone 3g 16 gb black has this issue, but so did my 1st gen 8 gb. I would say its about 50% of the time when you unplug the headphones the caller is hung up on.

Posted by Deister on July 12, 2008 at 5:54 AM (PDT)

My 1st. Gen iPhone has the same function. I actl. thought that this is a planned function by apple, but now since it is posted on the website i wonder.

Since the iPod function on the iPhone pauses when u pull out the headphone (that is a good function), i guess that the apple developer didn’t thought about the actl. PhoneCall. ....

Posted by dennis on July 12, 2008 at 6:22 AM (PDT)

so far my iphone 3g doesnt seem to be having this issue, although i have only tried it around 5 times.
aside from this, when i switch the ringer switch to silent, nothing happens. no icon comes up in menu bar and incoming calls all function with a ringtone. just me?

Posted by sam on July 12, 2008 at 6:43 AM (PDT)

You’ve got a busted switch…

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on July 12, 2008 at 6:54 AM (PDT)

Do this:

I have an original iPhone and after I upgraded the firmware my headphone jack didn’t work any more. I searched on Apple’s site and found this and it fixed the problem. For now at least.

Posted by aubretigre on July 12, 2008 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

I should say that the part that fixed it was doing the Reset All Settings. You can find that here:

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Your media and songs will still be there.

Posted by aubretigre on July 12, 2008 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

The problem you described is not occurring with my iPhone 3G.  I just tried it a few times and my call did not disconnect.

Posted by Mike Cruz on July 12, 2008 at 2:58 PM (PDT)

What about the battery..when it runs low or goes out completly, how does one swap a new one in…one guess…send it to Apple or hav a tore replace it. you cant change the battery like any other phone. This is a travisty.

Posted by bren on July 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

i have this problem too. what’s more (just like my 1st gen iphone) when i sometimes unplug the headphones the device stays in headphone mode, resulting in me not being able to hear the caller and vice versa…

Posted by mel on July 12, 2008 at 9:45 PM (PDT)

@ mel

I am having the same problem.
I unplug my headphones after music but the ringer doesn’t turn back on.

Posted by Jon Lindgren on July 12, 2008 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

same problem with my 1st gen. Apple store was pretty good about replacing my phone 3 times due to the same issue, but I never got confirmation from them that it was the phone. They always said it was dust in my headphone jack. Still an issue.

Posted by ben on July 13, 2008 at 5:04 AM (PDT)

I have the 16GB White model and so far I have no issues with the headphones being removed mid call.

Posted by Carl on July 13, 2008 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

16GB Black—no issues here at all.

Posted by Tom Rozycki on July 13, 2008 at 7:46 AM (PDT)

Guys, it happens because there is an inline switch in the headphone cord that allows you to disconnect calls, etc.  By removing the plug, you accidently run the metal surface past the leads which emulates a button press.  You’ll also notice that you can pause or stop your iphone music from playing in ipod mode.  That’s the same thing.  You are tricking the phone into thinking you pressed a the white inline trigger

Posted by eric on July 13, 2008 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

That actually makes a lot of sense, eric, but what about those of us who aren’t having this issue? I don’t have the issue with my 1st gen 8gb model.

Posted by afazel on July 13, 2008 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

For us first gen people, should we take it in and get a replacement?
It’s very annoying to me.  I’d prefer just to fix it but if worst comes to worst.

Posted by Jon Lindgren on July 13, 2008 at 1:07 PM (PDT)

bren, thanks for contributing to the thread :p

I can’t make this occur on a white 16G-I’m supposed to pull the headphone jack out mid-call to see if that causes the phone to disconnect, right? (I’m sure it never happened with the 1st gen iPhone, as I have done that before)

Posted by totoro on July 13, 2008 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

I found out that firmware 2.0, the safari part of it is loading images a different way. I have a webserver and the image (Bg of a actt. table) loaded from top to bottom and now it’s loading all the way as once from bigger pixel to smaller pixel until its clear.

I like this improvement wink

Posted by dennis on July 13, 2008 at 6:18 PM (PDT)

Yes, I have the same problem with my 3G (Black 16GB) phone. It is on the latest version because I updated it thru iTunes.

I tried this test about 14 times without encountering the problem.  Then I got the problem about 50% of the time.

So those that only tried acouple of times, you might want to test a little more…

Posted by brian5 on July 13, 2008 at 7:24 PM (PDT)

White 3g, 16 gb, no issues here. Tried it several times- plugging and unplugging. No dropped calls

Posted by tonyq1 on July 13, 2008 at 10:19 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >