iSee 360i adds video recording, playback to iPods | iLounge News

iSee 360i adds video recording, playback to iPods

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, January 3, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageAdvanced Technology Office (ATO) has unveiled the iSee 360i, an add-on video recorder and player for iPods. The device allows users to download videos directly from a computer, TV, cable, satellite, DVR, or any other analog source. Measuring 6 x 3.2 x 1.1 inches and weighing 6oz, the iSee has a 3.6-inch 320 x 240 LCD screen, a rechargeable 2200mAh battery, and offers a video-out option for watching videos on a TV.

“The iSee is the first video recorder for the iPod that lets you record what you want and watch it through your iPod,” says ATO. “It lets you see video bigger and better, because it has a 91% larger viewing area than the iPod with video and can be played back onto any TV at full TV resolution. Its rechargeable and replaceable battery has a minimum 4-hour battery life, so you won’t have to recharge your iPod to watch the end of a movie. Most importantly, it brings video viewing and recording to millions of existing iPod users.”

imageThe iSee 360i works with most fourth-generation iPods, and with the help of an adapter, iPod minis, iPod nanos and the 30GB fifth-generation iPod. It will retail for $250 and is expected to begin shipping in the first quarter of 2006.

« ESPN, ABC Sports, more come to iTunes Music Store

Starz launches iPod-incompatible movie service »

Comments

Finally I can watch videos without buying a new ipod. I am glad Advanced Technology Office(ATO)decided to continue with the production of this device, unlike nyko and the ipod movie player.

Posted by Andrew Janes on January 3, 2006 at 9:47 AM (PDT)

with that kind of price. it’d be better to get another ipod

Posted by Hisyam on January 3, 2006 at 10:02 AM (PDT)

Not much off a solution for those of use with a 60 gig… I am guessing they won’t fit in the device if a 60gig video won’t fit.

At that point I think I would pay the extra $50 to have a much more compact solution.

Posted by paboy on January 3, 2006 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

This plus a 4G gives you a lot more kit than a 5G.

Larger screen
More codecs
Video in
Larger resolutions

I’m looking forward to a few reviews…real reviews.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 3, 2006 at 11:13 AM (PDT)

Though, it might not hurt to beef up the 4G’s battery in the process.  I don’t think it’ll hold up long serving up a movie to this thing.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 3, 2006 at 11:15 AM (PDT)

This is pretty insane…you can get a 30 GB 5th gen from apple for $269…

-Chris

Posted by Fergi in Dallas, TX on January 3, 2006 at 12:13 PM (PDT)

Doesn’t that violate the copyright name from Contour? I mean, they made the iSee for the 4G and the 2G (even though it was just a case).

Posted by Person on January 3, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

This doesn’t record to the ipod…It uses the ipod as hard drive. So you’re paying $250 to use the iPod as a removable hard drive… lame.

Posted by David on January 3, 2006 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I’m trying to understand something here.  Now, we should all know by now that the 30 and 60 GB 5th Gen iPods are by default thinner than the 4G 20GB model, right?

So why do they say ONLY the 30GB model?  That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense…

Posted by Mark A on January 3, 2006 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

With a product name with two ‘i’s and a 360 in it, this has success written all over it.  Actually I don’t understand why you need to plug an iPod into it at all… they should have just included a hard drive.

Posted by Ben Zell on January 3, 2006 at 2:34 PM (PDT)

Why?  Because by slapping ‘iPod’ on there you immediately gain support for about 20+ million hard drives already out there.

I didn’t say it before, but I have to now:  Some of you people don’t get it.  With this, you get the following [over the 5G]:

Larger screen (at the same resolution)
More codecs (than MP4 and h264)
Video in (that means recording video)
Larger resolutions (for output)

Looks like a nifty way to use my 4G, which has now been relegated to my exercise iPod.  Heck, if it works well, I’d use this for travel, instead of squinting at my 5G.

Again, buying a 5G is not the [exactly] same.

Posted by Gordy on January 3, 2006 at 5:05 PM (PDT)

I don’t know - I think if I had a 4g iPod and $250 to spare, I’d rather sell the 4g for $50 and get a 5G iPod.  For all the things the iSee offers, I still think the ease of use of the 5G, the way it syncs to the iTMS, the all-in-one solution is worth what you’re losing.  Plus - with the 4G/iSee configuration, I doubt you will be able to play videos from the iTMS - even if you do go to the effort of manually dragging them onto your iPod in disk mode, wouldn’t the DRM defeat you watching it on the iSee?

Posted by Steve - podguide.tv on January 3, 2006 at 8:45 PM (PDT)

Apple should do something like this with the iPod: make the main screen a removable attachment and have a smaller, lighter device as a result. Don’t listen to me, I’m high.

Posted by Sean Gadoury on January 3, 2006 at 9:08 PM (PDT)

seriously, is it worth 50 bucks less than a video to get a bigger bulkier, charge requiring, device? is it really worth it. I sold my 4g (color) for 200 and got a video. dont tell me it wasn’t worth it, in my mind I see it as an upgrade. =)

Posted by ryan on January 3, 2006 at 10:53 PM (PDT)

Does it work with third generation iPods, or only 4Gs?
Looks like the Nyko movie player that might actually ship…

Thanks,
Peter

Posted by Peter Burkimsher on January 4, 2006 at 1:29 AM (PDT)

Considering how stupid I think it is watching vids on the puny 5G screen (did it for the first time with the Battlestar Galactica freebie), I see this as a definite step up. I used to think that watching UMD movies and vids on my PSP was bad, but my 5G redefines the notion of video masochism. ANY add-on that increases the LCD screen size is a big improvement, IMO.

Posted by flatline response on January 4, 2006 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Ok so in other words—the iPod acts as the host - hard drive and software components…

iPod simplicity is slowly becoming a thing of the past…  that and cash-ins

Posted by Chris on January 4, 2006 at 7:31 AM (PDT)

this just seems flat out ridiculous to me.

Why not just buy one of the Archos products:

Posted by eR1c on January 4, 2006 at 6:19 PM (PDT)

Have you seen those prices?

I received a 5th gen as a gift. Now I can afford one of theese isee 360i but NOT an Archos.

I have been looking for AGES for a way to record on the go with a micro cam and here it is!

Posted by Mario on January 5, 2006 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

Why not just buy one of the Archos products: (?)

1 reason for me…the Archos only records MPEG-4 up to 640x480 @ 30 fps in AVI format.

the iSee encodes multiple formats including MPEG-1 and MPEG-4 up to 640x480 @ 30 fps.

Posted by remofo on March 3, 2006 at 10:03 PM (PDT)