iSuppli: 16GB iPad build cost estimated at $260
According to a cost analysis by market research firm iSuppli, the 16GB iPad with Wi-Fi may cost as little as $259.60 to build. Citing iSuppli’s findings, Bloomberg reports that the iPad’s touch screen display costs $95, with the A4 processor adding another $26.80 to the cost. The iPad’s aluminum casing is estimated to cost $10.50, with the flash memory chips adding anywhere from $29.50 in costs to the 16GB model to $118 in the 64GB version, which carries a total estimated materials cost of $348.10. Other components include the Broadcom Bluetooth and Wi-Fi chip, estimated to cost $8.05, and a Cirrus Logic audio chip costing $1.20. As with all iSuppli cost of materials estimates, these figures are not exact, and do not account for research and development, manufacturing, packaging, and marketing costs.
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Report reveals additional details on Apple and BMW talks
- Report: New Apple TV to debut in September, subscription service to come later
- Apple releases second iOS 8.4.1 beta to developers
- Volkswagen adds CarPlay to 2016 lineup
- AT&T wants $100M data throttling fine thrown out
- Apple Music added to T-Mobile’s Music Freedom
- Report: Apple Music hits 10M subscribers
- Apple Maps vans landing in France, Sweden in August
- Report: Slimmer iPad mini 4 on the way, upgraded iPad Air 3 a possibility
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX
- Zivix Jamstik+ MIDI Guitar Controller
- Ulak Lumenair for iPhone 6
- Apple iPod touch (Sixth-Generation)
- Ventev Powercell 3015c and Powercell 6000+
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Wireless Headphones
- IK Multimedia iRig Mic Studio
- iClever Apple Watch Charging Stand
- TempTraq Wearable Bluetooth Thermometer
- JBL Clip+ Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?