iSuppli: iPhone outsells all U.S. smartphones in July | iLounge News

iSuppli: iPhone outsells all U.S. smartphones in July

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, September 4, 2007
News Categories: iPhone

According to research group iSuppli, the iPhone outsold all smartphones in the U.S. in July, accounting for 1.8 percent of all U.S. handset sales. In its first full month on sale, the two models of the iPhone sold more than RIM’s BlackBerry series, the entire Palm line, and any individual smartphone from Motorola, Nokia, or Samsung. In addition, sales of the iPhone equalled those of the LG Chocolate, the most popular feature phone in the U.S., iSuppli said. The firm reiterated its forecast that Apple would sell 4.5 million iPhones this year. “While iSuppli has not collected historical information on this topic, it’s likely that the speed of the iPhone’s rise to competitive dominance in its segment is unprecedented in the history of the mobile-handset market,” iSuppli said. According to the research group, most iPhone buyers in July were college-educated males under the age of 35, and a quarter of iPhone buyers switched operators to purchase the phone.

« iPod accessory makers merge as mStation acquires mophie

JBL announces On Stage 3 system, Reference 420 and 610 headphones »

Comments

Since we’re comparing apples to oranges, I would like to report that oranges outsold all U.S. wireless devices in July as well.

Since the iPhone was never marketed as a smartphone, it’s kind of silly to compare the two in terms of sales.  The iPhone is just a phone with an mp3 player, not a business solution.

Also, has anyone ever heard of iSuppli?

Posted by Matt on September 4, 2007 at 11:54 AM (PDT)

Whether marketed as a smartphone or not, the iPhone outsold the brands that are. That’s significant isn’t it?

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on September 4, 2007 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

“The iPhone is just a phone with an mp3 player, not a business solution.”

That one has had me laughing all day! I can only guess you’ve never used one.
Not all smartphone users need it for business, I’ve owned 3 or 4 smartphones, used Palms since ‘99, tried a couple PocketPC, and I’ve happily given them up for the iphone which is definitely more than a phone with an mp3 player.

Posted by Robert on September 4, 2007 at 2:37 PM (PDT)

Point obviously missed.

I wasn’t belittling the iPhone.  I own one. I like it.  I, however, own it for personal use. Businesswise, any Treo, Blackberry, etc. would blow an iPhone out of the water. I just found it odd that the iPhone was being compared to devices that are aimed at the modern day professional when it was targeted at a completely different demographic.

Would you be surprised that there are more Honda Civics sold than big yellow dump-trucks?  I felt that the average person wouldn’t be surprised that the iPhone sold more units than any other smartphone, which is why I felt compelled to point out the uselessness of this research group’s findings.

Posted by Matt on September 4, 2007 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

Interesting that the brands that would “blow and iPhone out of the water” are the very phones Apple outsold in July…

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on September 4, 2007 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

I don’t know what kind of “professional” you are, but as a CTO of a technology company I can say for sure the iPhone can be used for business uses.  I do every day.  Actually replaced my useless Treo 650.  Just because YOU can’t find a use for in in business does not mean the rest of the “professional” world does not see it as a useful too.  Get a grip.  You must be the same type that feels that the only tools useful to businesses are ones written by Microsoft as well right?

Its find to state your opinion, but its just that, your individual opinion.  Welcome to the real world.

Posted by Brian James on September 4, 2007 at 5:36 PM (PDT)

The iphone is not a smartphone.  Can you sync with an Exchange server via activesync?  Can you copy and paste, either text or files?  Does it have 3G data?  Removeable storage?  Can you install third-party applications?
Every smartphone I’ve ever used has had at least most of the above, yet the iphone has not one of those features.

Matt rather politely brought up the point that the study is an irrelevant comparison done by a noname research group, and despite no mention of microsoft anywhere, and despite his admission that he has and uses an iphone, he’s being insulted and called a microsoft fanboy.

I don’t think he’s the one that needs to get a grip.

Posted by Mr. Gunn on September 4, 2007 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

1 - Can you sync with an Exchange server?
Sync? no. Connect and work with? Yes, which is exactly how the Blackberry works (as far as the server is concerned).

2 - Copy and Paste?
No. It would be nice, hardly a dealbreaker though.

3 - 3G?
Yes, actually. Contrary to the BS spread by most people EDGE is 3G. Technically. (look it up - the generations are defined by speed, EDGE makes the cut, just). I won’t say it’s super fast, but it’s not THAT much slower than EVDO for everyday use. Plus… it has WiFi, something most don’t have.

4 - Removable Storage?
No, but with 8gig, why do you need it? It’s a phone, not a laptop, nor a PDA.

5 - Third Party Apps?
Yes! Check out installer.app and iBrickr (for windows). Yes it’s no t official, but I’m running a nice fast RSS reader, finances package, voice recorder, Terminal App, eBook reader, a few games, file manager, and several other apps flawlessly.

So.. just because you don’t know anything about the product, I’d say your opinion on the matter is pretty much worthless.

The fact is that the iPhone does exactly what most business users need - access the web (better than any other phone), and check email. the rest is a nice bonus.

That puts it in direct competion with SmartPhones. It’s marketed as such, bought as such, and used as such. Saying it isn’t a fair comparison is just silly. It’s fair because it’s attacking the same market share.

Posted by Gregory on September 4, 2007 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

Yeah, going to have to agree.  The whole idea that the iPhone is not a “smartphone” is extremely flawed, and might I suggest looking up what the word actually means, rather than a personal belief as to what the would should mean.  The iPhone works well for what it does, and it works for personal and business uses I’ve needed.  In fact, it works rather comfortably at it all.  Is it absolutely the most perfect thing in the world?  Nope.  Never expecte it to be.  but for my needs, it is the best fit I’ve found.

Honestly, while I would like to see it get ActiveSync support (and just because it doesn’t do that yet, it doesn’t mean that it never will… Apple tends to release actual software updates for things, adding functionality that didn’t previously exist).

For 3G “high speed” Cell networks—hell, there isn’t a 3G network tower within 180 miles of where I live.  Doesn’t bother me a bit that the iPhone can’t support what is nowhere near me.

Removable storage?  bah, I’ve tried it all when it comes to removable storage, it isn’t what it is all cracked up to be.  It would be nice to have file storage access on the iPhone, however.  but I’m going to leave that in the “it’s only a matter of time” category.

Third Party Apps?  The web apps are OK, but I really don’t need much more than what the phone comes with built in.  I’d like to see a couple new things added, but I am leaving them in the “it’s only a matter of time” category as well, knowing Apple.  I have a few rather nice little network administration apps I wrote that helps my iPhone effectively be a remote-control for my home LAN, with fun little status updates, and network scanning to check for unwanted visitors on my LAN.  Plus, with the ability to reboot a server that is causing me trouble at the press of a button on the screen.  For me, that’s really convenient.

Posted by Xlorep DarkHelm on September 4, 2007 at 9:49 PM (PDT)

Brian, are you being intentionally dense?!?

I have no problem with the iPhone. Like i said, I HAVE ONE. It’s great. I have a problem with the ARTICLE.

Take a look at the iPhone’s target market. It’s HUGE! Just about anyone could have a valid use for the iPhone. The target market for smartphones, not so huge. They have a set of features that are really only appeal to business users. SO OF COURSE the iPhone is going to sell more units! There are more people out there that have a use for it.

I just found it to be STUPID that some research group found this to be worth publishing.

Sheesh. Even hint at an Apple product’s shortcomings ‘round these parts and out comes the lynching mob.

Posted by Matt on September 5, 2007 at 12:07 AM (PDT)

Seems like outselling all smartphones makes you queen of the pigs. The report also indicates that sales are in some sense disappointing, with a real possibility that sales may even fall short of Apple’s very modest goal of 730,000 by the end of September. That’s far less than the hype since some predicted sales of 700,000 on the first weekend.

Sales are projected to pick up as the holidays approach, which probably answers the question of whether it’s a business product.

Posted by Don on September 5, 2007 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

The iPhone is NOT a smartphone. Can any 3rd party make an app and legally make it available for the iPhone, no.

It is an overpriced ipod that tries to be a phone but fails. Call quality sucks balls and some features i had 2 years ago in a Samsung D500 are missing. Its barely a phone by today’s standards

Posted by case on September 5, 2007 at 9:25 AM (PDT)

this is care of: http://www.zshare.net/download/35265004ad16e6/

Market research firm iSuppli has been forced to clarify a statement it issued early this week regarding iPhone sales in the US.

It said on Tuesday that the Apple iPhone had comprehensively beaten its smartphone rivals - including RIM’s Blackberry series - to take the number one sales slot in July. However this is apparently NOT the case.

iSuppli now says that the iPhone successfully outsold individual Blackberry models, but that the Blackberry range as a whole outsold the iPhone by a factor of 2:1.

Oops.

Posted by Matthew on September 7, 2007 at 5:21 PM (PDT)