iSuppli: More than half of 2009 U.S. cars to offer iPod support | iLounge News

iSuppli: More than half of 2009 U.S. cars to offer iPod support

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, October 9, 2008
News Categories: iPod

More than half of all the automobile models sold in the United States in 2009 will offer at least optional iPod support, according to a new iSuppli report. The report states that 39 percent of models sold in 2008 offer iPod integration; that number will jump to 58 percent next year, marking the first time an iPod option will be available in more than half of models. The report goes on to state that one-third of 2009 models will offer USB connectivity for other portable devices, up from 16 percent in 2008, and that Bluetooth will be at least an option on 82 percent of 2009 models, up from 55 percent availability in 2008.

“The automotive industry is at the point where in-vehicle technologies-or the lack of them-are influencing sales,” said Phil Magney, vice president of automotive research for iSuppli. “The charge toward greater technological integration has been led by car OEMs like Hyundai and Honda, which are making USB/iPod combination interfaces standard on many of their vehicles. It’s also been spurred by OEMs like Audi and Mercedes, which offer integrated Media Device Gateways that allow any device imaginable to integrate with a vehicle.”

« 2008 Readers’ Choice voting underway, write-ins making noise

ezGear unveils ezView Leather Case for iPhone 3G »

Comments

Before getting TOO excited, let’s figure out what “iPod Support” is?
My 2006 Scion tC has true iPod support - it charges and is controlled/viewed through the steering wheel and head-unit.
A mini-jack is NOT iPod support, and in fact DID influence my choice of cars three years ago.
I am still shocked that even Toyota - the makers of Scion - don’t have this great connection in ALL their vehicles.
I wanted an FJ, and lacking the same great iPod integration left me ticked and with no FJ.
Forget about US-made cars - I couldn’t find anything I liked with anything more than a lame mini-jack.
We wonder why we’re not selling cars?
I don’t.

Posted by SLB on October 9, 2008 at 6:12 PM (PDT)

Ford has offered that kind of functionality thru their Sync feature for three years now. If you didn’t notice that three years ago when you were shopping around, you obviously weren’t looking very hard chief. Then again, seeing how you actually paid money for one of the ugliest cars on the road, your visual accuity is pretty darn suspect.

Posted by Cash907 on October 10, 2008 at 4:01 AM (PDT)

Out of the Scion lineup the tC is by far the best looking of the trio.  It’s a huge difference from the fj though, not sure how that leap could be made.

My Acura TL Type-S has a mini jack in the glovebox and that’s it.  One of these days I’ll buy the functionality but until then the minijack will have to do.

Posted by Ryan on October 10, 2008 at 5:24 AM (PDT)

Wow, Cash907, simmer down. This is a comment forum, not a presidential debate.

I also suggest potential buyers get an opportunity to use the device before being persuaded to pay any extra for it. I bought my VW about 18 months ago with iPod integration and it’s so bad that I stopped using it just a few months in and opted for third party device. The third party device was 10 times as good AND half the price. VW has been offering iPod integration for a while now and still has a LONG way to go before even being satisfactory.

Posted by urbanslaughter on October 10, 2008 at 7:59 AM (PDT)

@ Cash907,

People like you are the reason the ‘net sucks.
Truly.
MS Sync?  Yeah, that’s what I want - and a Zune to go with it.
There’s nothing - repeat NOTHING - that Ford has to offer I want.
Ironically, the Pasadena Ford dealer was just shut-down and emptied out for good - wanna guess why?

@ Ryan:
Your comment is almost as stupid, but not quite.
Why would I go from a tC to an FJ?
Well, my wife’s RAV4 is on it’s way out, and we need a car and SUV-type vehicle.
I thought we’d get the FJ and be in great shape - not that I have to explain to anyone.

Sadly, this site appears to have gone the way of so many - lemmings/boobs/idiots spewing trash instead of having an adult dialog.

Cheers

Posted by slB on October 10, 2008 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Our moderators are forced with a difficult choice given discussions like this one: let you guys voice your obviously strong opinions about car brands and accessories, or close your comments and block you from the site for being obnoxious to one another.

Tell us your thoughts. We’ll consider them before making any decisions.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on October 10, 2008 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Jeremy,

My thoughts are above.
I’ve been posting and reading (and even did some early iPod case reviews) since day-one.
It’s always been pretty civil.

I can take disagreement, I can’t take the same BS that gets spewed as in every political site on the web.

I don’t like heavy-handed filtering, but when people are rude and stupid, my gut is to delete.
It’s a coin-toss though, as it’s also enjoyable to let people publicly display their ignorance and lack of intelligence.

Your call. Still love the site…

Posted by slB on October 10, 2008 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

I recently purchased a 2009 Hyundai with a iPod (USB) port.  I plug in my new iPod and the screen sez USB, but the ipod does not work.  Any thoughts?

Posted by ROD on July 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM (PDT)