iSuppli tears down iPod classic, labels it ‘stopgap’
Apple has taken a backwards-looking approach to functionality and technology with the iPod classic, according iSuppli Corp.‘s Teardown Analysis service. As the only remaining hard-disk based iPod, lacking advanced features such as Wi-Fi and a touch screen, the classic’s feature set suggests stopgap measures that iSuppli believes may limit the product’s longevity and success. “Apple’s continuation of the iPod model without adding new features suggests a stopgap measure necessitated by lack of time to develop an HDD-based touch iPod,” said Chris Crotty, senior analyst, consumer electronics, for iSuppli. “Apple may not have had time to develop an HDD-based touch-screen iPod before the 2007 holiday season.”
iSuppli’s teardown led to estimated materials costs of $127 for the 80GB classic model, and $190 for the 160GB version, with $78 and $140, respectively, going towards the hard drive. These estimates do not include added expenses such as research and development, software costs, manufacturing, and marketing; however, the 80GB model’s estimated cost is 11.2 percent lower than that of the previous 30GB model, despite the increase in storage. iSuppli has suggested that Apple is able to offer these higher capacities while increasing margins thanks to the classic’s interior design, which iSuppli claims is “essentially the same as the existing flagship iPod, with a few changes in parts and component suppliers.” The market analysis group suggests that Apple will ship 3.1 million classic units in 2007, and 3.5 million in 2008.
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- FREAK security flaws still present in popular iOS apps
- Device able to access iOS 8.1 through brute-force attack
- Microsoft to bring Cortana to iOS
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 3 to developers (Update: iOS 8.3 Public Beta also released)
- Apple releases iOS 8.2
- iLounge Weekly arrives Monday, sign up now
- Apple retail stores to have very limited Apple Watch stock
- Apple quietly acquiring companies to improve cloud services?
- Apple planning to release three iPhone models this year?
- Report reveals more details on Apple’s upcoming music service
- Apple adds CNNgo channel to Apple TV
- Apple acquires database company FoundationDB
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 4
- Apple adds Tastemade, TED, Young Hollywood channels to Apple TV
- Source: Italian prosecutors wrap up Apple tax probe
- OORT SmartFinder, SmartLED + SmartSocket
- RooCase Exec Tough for iPhone 6 Plus
- Pronto Smart Remote System
- iWalk Extreme Spartan
- EnerPlex Surfr for iPhone 6
- IK Multimedia iRig 2 Guitar Interface
- PowerSkin Pop’n 3 for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Coogobox Symphony Dock for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- PowerSkin Spare for iPhone 6
- Chil Attraction Jacket for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Can I turn off the app icons that appear in the bottom corner on the lock screen?
- Why do I have two separate conversations with the same person in Messages?
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?