iSuppli tears down iPod classic, labels it ‘stopgap’ | iLounge News

iSuppli tears down iPod classic, labels it ‘stopgap’

Apple has taken a backwards-looking approach to functionality and technology with the iPod classic, according iSuppli Corp.‘s Teardown Analysis service. As the only remaining hard-disk based iPod, lacking advanced features such as Wi-Fi and a touch screen, the classic’s feature set suggests stopgap measures that iSuppli believes may limit the product’s longevity and success. “Apple’s continuation of the iPod model without adding new features suggests a stopgap measure necessitated by lack of time to develop an HDD-based touch iPod,” said Chris Crotty, senior analyst, consumer electronics, for iSuppli. “Apple may not have had time to develop an HDD-based touch-screen iPod before the 2007 holiday season.”

iSuppli’s teardown led to estimated materials costs of $127 for the 80GB classic model, and $190 for the 160GB version, with $78 and $140, respectively, going towards the hard drive. These estimates do not include added expenses such as research and development, software costs, manufacturing, and marketing; however, the 80GB model’s estimated cost is 11.2 percent lower than that of the previous 30GB model, despite the increase in storage. iSuppli has suggested that Apple is able to offer these higher capacities while increasing margins thanks to the classic’s interior design, which iSuppli claims is “essentially the same as the existing flagship iPod, with a few changes in parts and component suppliers.” The market analysis group suggests that Apple will ship 3.1 million classic units in 2007, and 3.5 million in 2008.

« Apple & AT&T sued over iPhone

GelaSkins updates line for iPod classic, nano, touch »

Comments

I suspect it has little to do with time, and much more to do with that fact that OS X Mobile is optimized to work on flash instead of HDD-based drives.

Posted by lookmark on October 11, 2007 at 10:01 AM (PDT)

The user interface shouldn’t care what type of storage is being used.  If it does, it’s poor design, which doesn’t sound like Apple.  So as lookmark suggested, it may have to do with optimization - i.e. OS X Mobile may not perform well enough with HDD storage yet and needs to be optimized.  Though that would still indicate either they didn’t have time, or it was a marketing decision.  I’d bet it was both.  They seem to be rushing things to market before they are ready as it is, and Steve likely decided that no-one wanted a high capacity touch - just like when he decided no-one wanted video…

Posted by WhoCares? on October 11, 2007 at 11:14 AM (PDT)

I don’t care if it’s a stop-gap measure. My new classic has a 160gb drive. To me, that means everything.

Posted by Avalon0387 on October 11, 2007 at 11:35 AM (PDT)

WOW,,seems like proof of my personal theory/idea that the new iPod classics are nothing but an upgrade in capacity.

Which of course, led me to buy a refurbished 5.5Gen 80GB iPod from the Apple store for a measley $219.

At least I know I can still play my Tetris on it, use my iHome and Apple Hi-Fi the way I want and expect.

Of course, in other year or two, that extra capacity with updated firmware that fixes all the initial problems will hopefully very attractive.

Posted by Peterphan on October 11, 2007 at 12:56 PM (PDT)

Shock! Horror! Current iPod models will eventually be replaced by more advanced models and current and past models will get cheaper.
Meanwhile I currently have a new iPod that is better than my old one and claim my £5.

Posted by Chris Matchett in London on October 11, 2007 at 3:59 PM (PDT)

I still have my 60 GB 5th Gen. I am waiting to see if the higher capacity touch ever happens. If it doesn’t, I may go and check out the Zunes or other players - but I am holding out to see what will happen next year.

Posted by Nimbette2 on October 11, 2007 at 5:32 PM (PDT)

I think I’d be intersted in a touchpod with HDD.  But then again as I look at how scratched up the front of my iSkin EVO3 case surrounding my 80 gB V5.5 is I wonder if I want to have to be that careful with it.

Posted by Elcoholic in So Cal on October 12, 2007 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

I just recently bought the 160gig model of the new “Classic” and to be honost, I love it.  Yeah, I was really hoping for the cool Touch interface with the capacity of the larger harddrive.  I still have my trusty ol’ 30-gig 5th gen iPod, which I was perfectly happy with, but I wanted something with a bit more capacity.  It is unlikely that I’ll be buying any new iPod again anytime soon as the 160gig has more than enough capacity that I need, plus it does everything else that I am interested in.  For that matter, I don’t even use my iPod to watch video, so that was never an issue for me (especially since the thing spends most of the time in the glove box hooked up to my car stereo through it’s dedicated iPod interface).  At least from a purely audio standpoint, the Classic is a nice step up from the previous generation, though.

Posted by SkiBumMSP on October 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM (PDT)